Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > Possible PvP Solution for IS
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Possible PvP Solution for IS

Ironsphere idea i just formulated in the #tribesrpg chat.

PvP is entirely open, there is no house system, but there is a sort of target system. This pertains mainly to mages but has benefits for melee fighters too.

Basically everyone can harm everyone else. You don't need to set anything. HOWEVER, damage is much much less if you haven't specifically targetted the player you wish to kill/harm. There could even be an added miss percentage for other players if you haven't specifically targetted them. This would allow something resembling the PvP system of old, but with more protection for newbies.

Edit: Just figured this out, the miss percentage could be much higher based on the gap between player levels. I.E. A level 50 isn't likely to hit a level 1 because he misses a lot, but a level 1 couldn't hope to hit a level 50 and do any damage. Solution comes from the boredom that they would face trying to hit each other, plus it would eliminate the annoyingly illegit 'leveling off your more successful friends' technique.

Last edited by Zxqv8 on 07-20-2001 at 07:14 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 06:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

Good idea.

Targeting could increase the chance of hitting and damage potential, but the 20 warning and delay prevents abuse. I like this.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Plus maybe one or two penalties could be thrown in for the Pk'er. Like, they're exempt from Non-Target bonuses for a short period.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

Or something similar to the pickpocket penalty: can be hit in town for a certain period of time, perhaps (PKer level- Target level)*5 seconds? That way, a level 2 61 killing a level 1 isn't safe in town for 5 minutes.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

That's if town safety is incorporated, but yeah.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:12 AM
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Good idea. If you get hard data, you'll be in good shape to present something to Ji that has a good chance of actually being implemented.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
machwing
OgreHalberdier

just copy and paste it in the ideas for T2rpg thread, it'll be more catagorized

machwing is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for machwing Click here to Send machwing a Private Message Click Here to Email machwing Find more posts by machwing Add machwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Err, I think that's best left to others, im a thinker, i have no talent in the scripting areas.

You like it mach? once i get a final form of how things should be, i certainly will do that. But PK'ing has been such a big issue that this needs a thread for ideas only on it for a little bit. A PK'ing solution that pleases all could bring in a LOT of players.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:16 AM
machwing
OgreHalberdier

well, you could always have spmething similar to utopia (high levels can only attack lvls that are close it it, newbies cant go pissing off highbies, unless both parties aggreed to fight

machwing is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for machwing Click here to Send machwing a Private Message Click Here to Email machwing Find more posts by machwing Add machwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Arthur
MinotaurGoliath

sounds good, but i have acedently "hit" a player many times but of corse it doesnt hit him i may kill him (being admin) if this gets worked out maybe a thing so admins dont kill unless they DO target or some thing...

King Arthur

Level:250
Remort:16
Class:Paladin/Knight
Race:Human
House Fenyar Website

Arthur is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 07:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Arthur Click here to Send Arthur a Private Message Click Here to Email Arthur Find more posts by Arthur Add Arthur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Perhaps some kind of code could be implemented to cause players killed by admins to keep thier junk? Or maybe admins should need to set a flag to be able to be part of the open pvp system?

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 08:16 AM
Arthur
MinotaurGoliath

some thing like that

maybe admins can ONLY kill people with #kill i dunno but being an admin and sowing off (hehe i love that) can result in lots of deaths if every one can hurt every one.. it would however encurage me to be more carefull with what im doing

King Arthur

Level:250
Remort:16
Class:Paladin/Knight
Race:Human
House Fenyar Website

Arthur is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 09:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Arthur Click here to Send Arthur a Private Message Click Here to Email Arthur Find more posts by Arthur Add Arthur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

heh.

Yes I agree. I hate it when i am on another team and I press a bound key that casts thorn. OoOpS! 3.87923 e8 dmg. I would love to have that implimented for t1 on all servers. I'm sure I could code it but I have too many other things to do.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-21-2001 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

you guys are all straining your brains for nothing, i've already figured out a damage/miss system similar to this a few months ago, back when I started the T2RPG design doc thread

for the PvP, decreasing damage unless specifically targeted is a great idea, and it sounds like I'll be implementing it.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 07:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

congrats Zxqv8.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote