Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > Trpg Server Admining
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
EnSaiNe
GoblinRunt

Exclamation Trpg Server Admining

Hello, i'm new to being a server admin and I need some help badly with starting and maintaining a good server. I will start with the problems i'm having, first, when I attempt to start up a non-dedicated server, after about 5-10 seconds, my comp locks up, and when I start up a dedicated server, I try to join my own server to find -2- servers with the same name, so I pick one and join. MY server lags a *lot*, so much it isn't even playable, so that no fun. If anyone has any info on the subject, how to get only one server, how to start a non-dedicated server and actually play it, or anything else, please help me. Thanks to all who post here.

EDIT- BTW, this is on TRPG1

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

EnSaiNe is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EnSaiNe Click here to Send EnSaiNe a Private Message Click Here to Email EnSaiNe Find more posts by EnSaiNe Add EnSaiNe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Well, first of all...

When you host a dedicated server, there SHOULD be 2 servers there. Thats normal, so theres no problem there. Second of all, what is your connection, and what are the specs on your computer? Key to a good server is getting no lag Another thing, in the documentation section of this site, there is a list of admin commands. Im sure you will be able to find all and any command that you need

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EnSaiNe
GoblinRunt

Im running on a cable modem, my comp specs are
Intel Celeron 400 MHz 128 MG RAM
Voodoo 3 3000 16 MG RAM
and a 20 Gig HD

Also, I found out that the options i specified in the RPG startup setup window (starting SP, SP a lvl, etc.) did not work at all, and I couldn't seem to get any of the Admin commands to work, so anymore help would be appreciated.

Last edited by EnSaiNe on 08-08-2001 at 04:13 AM

EnSaiNe is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EnSaiNe Click here to Send EnSaiNe a Private Message Click Here to Email EnSaiNe Find more posts by EnSaiNe Add EnSaiNe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Well, hosting on cable isnt a good idea unless its really good (road runner, and a few others). And for you SP, lvl, and other things...make sure you press apply after you change the options. Does it not work in dedicated, listening, or both?

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MagicalMongoose
GoblinRunt

Cable is fine, just you can't put the # of people high. For TRPG, since it creates a lot of lag thanks to the wonderful coding (*cough), the player limit on your server should be around 4. Seriously, I'm not kiding. It has to be really low, not because of the fact that your using cable, but your comp just doesn't have the processing power to run a server of any magnitude. If you want to run a server that will not lag, you have to at least have a 800Mhz or above, 256 Mb RAM or above, and a solid cable connection or something faster (T1).
So, sorry to say, but I don't think you can run a server. You need a better computer, so until then, you have to play with other people...

MagicalMongoose is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MagicalMongoose Click here to Send MagicalMongoose a Private Message Click Here to Email MagicalMongoose Find more posts by MagicalMongoose Add MagicalMongoose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote