Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > Concerning IronSphere: A new form of transportation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MagicalMongoose
GoblinRunt

Concerning IronSphere: A new form of transportation.

In my opinion, what would be very cool to see is the ability to buy horses, wagons, boats, and any other form of transportation you could think of. Imagine the possibilites?
In Keldrin Town (if it's going to be called that in IronSphere) would be the main city, hopefully more detailed and intricate than the current one.
You would buy horses at the stable, which would contain many different horses. Opposed to the same horses all the time, there intelligence (I'll explain later), max.speed, dexterity, and strength (such as trampling) would be randomly calculated. So that the horses would be different each time. But the thing is, the models have in some aspects, have to resemble the horses stats. Such as you would see a small horse with high strength.
Prior to buying the horse, the keeper would tell you what that specific horse is good at, and how much it costs. This would be very interesting in the game to see a group of people riding on horses...
Concerning boats, I believe that you should HAVE to buy a boat from a place that is like Delkin Port.
At the "Delkin Port" type place, there should be a merchant guy that sells different types of boats.
These are the types of boats that should be included...

Small Raft
Can only hold 2 passengers, but 1 is recommended.
Large Raft
Can hold up to 2 passengers, and a harpoon.
Small Boat
Can carry up to 4 passengers, 2 horses, and a harpoon.
Large Boat
Can carry up to 6 passengers, 4 horses, and two harpoons.
Small Ferry
Can hold up to 8 passengerrs, with 6 horses, and two harpoons.
Large Ferry
Can hold up to 10 passengers, 10 horses, and one cannon.
Giant Ferry
Can hold up to 15 passengers, 15 horses, 4 cannons, and 8 harpoons.

All of those # of people per boat includes the captain. Also, the more people and horses that are on the boats, the slower it goes. I don't think that should apply to the Ferry's, just because there so huge they wouldn't go any slower.
Also, at the "Dock Bay", there should be a refuelling station. The refuelling "stuff" isn't gasolene or anything like that, but some along the lines keldrin crystals. The larger the crystal, the more energy the ferry has.
Concerning boats, they would not require crystals, because it would be a combination of both sails, and paddles, to meneuvre around the water.

Also, another addition that would be needed, is that you can get "magical" forms of transportation. Such as after you defeat some type of dragon, instead of killing him, he begs you to spare his life, and in exchange, he will aid you. So in that case, you would have the ability to jump on his back, shoot fireballs, and terrorize people, or use it for good. Such ideas as those are really interesting, and it would be quite interesting.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MagicalMongoose is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 06:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MagicalMongoose Click here to Send MagicalMongoose a Private Message Click Here to Email MagicalMongoose Find more posts by MagicalMongoose Add MagicalMongoose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

hhe

well, the boat/horse thing was mentioned a while ago (I mentioned carriges ) but the dragon thing is a nice idea...imagine a guy on a dragon flying over a guy riding on a runt's back and blasting them to pieces also, maybe different monsters have different advantages like:

runt: runs super fast
gnoll: can walk on water
orc: doesn't fall down steep slopes
ogre: can take a lot of amage before dying
zombie: can't walk on water, but acts like a submarine in it
skele: replinishes both your and his health
elf: isn't effected by fall damage
mino: can hover short distances
uber: invisible to enemies, but not players
dragon: can fly, shoots fire

all of em would be able to attack with their normal power (runt sucks in a fight, uber OwNzErS you)

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for runtwing Click here to Send runtwing a Private Message Click Here to Email runtwing Find more posts by runtwing Add runtwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

a nice lookin horse, dragon, blah blah blah would be a ***** to model and also make good animations, while keeping good fps

if you saw 2 huge good lookin dragons on the screen in t2, chances are your fps will bottom out

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-10-2001 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

Red Dwarf has horses lol

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 08-10-2001 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Didn't we bring up the dragon thing in the old forum and somebody mentioned skinning one of the T2 vehicles?
I SUPPOSE you could use a shrike....but it would look REALLY wierd.

And didn't somebody else bring up magic carpets?

Yanno, if we're going go into this, why can't we change an energy pack into "HEAVENLY WINGS" or "ICARUS SUIT" or something? All that fluttering ought to be good for fps??

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 08-10-2001 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

How about a train?

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 08-10-2001 07:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SolarRPG Click here to Send SolarRPG a Private Message Find more posts by SolarRPG Add SolarRPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SephirothRPG
OrcRavager

Mmmm... Well, if this is a new mod maybe i can add some ideas. I think a fighter should have a skill called #swordskill, the more sp you have the better the sword technique is. Example: I have 300sp in it I learn a swordtechnique called Fireslash, I type #swordtechnique fireslash and It charges you swing and it does how much damage the skill is suppose to do. The horse idea I'm not to sure of... you could use the horse from RedDwarf although it sorta looks messed up. The dragon ideal is pretty good just make a skin for a vehicle and ride it. You could shoot the rockets like fireballs hehehe... I think there should be a sword that is stronger againts diffrent races.
Example:
Goblin thrasher
Restriction 0
Bonuses: ATK 20(30 vs. goblins)
Price $2000

You need more skills and more classes like on MR the alchemy skill was good but it needed the potions to cost alot or the herbs wont sell for crap or both. The goblins should not be any stronger... for newb reasons. New good cool armor and weapons would be good. I wthought that you should have a gold armor it requires 20gold and a feildplate to smith. A bronze plate mail is a perfect skin for it. You need more NCP's that have better more valueable quest prizes. That is some of the ideas I have I would think of more but it 200am in the morning im very very sleepy.

SephirothRPG is offline Old Post 08-10-2001 08:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SephirothRPG Click here to Send SephirothRPG a Private Message Click Here to Email SephirothRPG Find more posts by SephirothRPG Add SephirothRPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

new mod? this is ironsphere we are talkin bout

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-10-2001 08:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for runtwing Click here to Send runtwing a Private Message Click Here to Email runtwing Find more posts by runtwing Add runtwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jake Logan
GoblinRunt

all i have been hearing is talk about vehicles to the point of . if ur so intrested in vehicles u gotta tell problems. for one thing there are alot of homos who would take a horse of carriage and go aroung running ppl over ive seen it before in counter strike it got so bad they removed it and there were little movies about what they would like to do to all the drivers which was basically to their heads. well i forgot all my other problems but if u want to know how to do dragons check out wizard wars for halflife its in the mod of the week this week at planethalflife. you may also wanna incorperate ideas from diablo1&2 such as the invitory system and diablo2's skill thingy. i also had a cool idea you can inlist in the army and fight the dark forces in battles and defense of towns of course you get paid .

Jake Logan is offline Old Post 08-10-2001 02:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jake Logan Click here to Send Jake Logan a Private Message Find more posts by Jake Logan Add Jake Logan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

lol...people getting run over in halflife? It's called strafe to the side

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-10-2001 11:00 PM
Appylon
GoblinThief

These may help the develpers for T2RPG (probly not lol)

These are my personal ideas on how Tribes 2 Ironsphere (RPG) should look like on release.

New Skills:

Smithing-Learn combinations of items to create new and better ones. The more points in that skill the better the items able to be crafted.

Horseback Riding- With each SP added the player would be able to increase the stamina of his/her on horse while riding it.

Woodworking-Much like the mining skill, players will have the ability to use a slashing weapon and find a type of tree in the forest by the main town. The player will take the acquired wood and return it to the village architect to receive payment. The more SP used the better wood chopped.

Rummage-Players will be able to search around a certain area and find items that would not be normally seen. The more SP used the faster and better items are found.

Sense-Sense enemies in other rooms of caverns. More SP the more information that will be shared with the player about the enemy or other player.

Strength-Weapons do more damage with each SP added to it.

Durability-More resistant to physical attacks with each SP added.

Energy Strength-Spell damage increases with each SP added

Intelligence-More possible choices during conversations with NPCs.

Breath-Players are able to hold their breath underwater longer with each SP added.

New NPCs

Architect-Leads town development, even thought the town never actually grows in the game, Players can sell their wood to him, Players when strong enough will be able to build their own house.

Healer-A priest of town, heals wounds, sells potions, wands, and scrolls.

Beggar-The more players give donations to him their luck raises.

Guards-Non important NPC tells players information about the game and fighting techniques.

Town Leader-Tells players about quests.

Game Physics

To move around the terrain easier the player will be able to purchase horses, train them to have more stamina and speed. These horses will not be able to move to other island however. Not more than one can be bought at once.

Eventually the player will be able to build his/her own single room house anywhere in the game map. To build it they must first remort 10 times, bring in enough chopped wood to the village architect and have enough money to buy and own it. The house would be places where players can sleep, put items into storage, communicate, save, and plan his/her own journey without fear of other players on mass destructive rampage. HOWEVER the house will be deleted eventually if the player does not visit it once every 50 days.

Appylon is offline Old Post 08-11-2001 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Appylon Click here to Send Appylon a Private Message Click Here to Email Appylon Find more posts by Appylon Add Appylon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

As the forever sagely and slightly crazy GoldenFlight would say:

K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Considering how much SP we will probably get, having 500+ skills is going to kill my appetite for the game.

Why not just group them under AD&D concepts? It's infinitely easier and isn't as annoying as the current skill system (10 SP to dole out between 5 skills? Yuck). I hate spending hours training and then return to find some highbie laughing at me because he mugged all my items off me.

My skills system has changed and remained the same. It only contains a small set of skills to delegate skill points to, but the names have changed. Ok, the main skill is in brackets, and you can put SP in that skill, gaining some skill in sub-skills (some can be stronger, depending on class). Say you were a fighter with OK piercing and excellent slashing. Delegating points to Strength would make BOTH skills go up. Thus, you can be somewhat good in piercing as a fighter, but your main strength will still be slashing.

The subskills here are just ideas. Someone ICQ JI and tell him about this thread, because I don't have ICQ.

[Intelligence] - Sub-skills = Mental things, such as magic and speech, haggling etc.
[Strength] - Sub-skills = Physical weapons skills, such as Slashing and Piercing. There could even be a # skill (like #cast) that comes with having a certain amount of Strength. Endurance too. Bashing included. (Strength will likely be the top pick for a Fighter, while a Mage would opt for Intelligence). BlackSmithing.
[Dexterity] - Sub-skills = Lockpicking, smithing (different from blacksmithing, smithing is more like making a new crossbow... inventing and such) etc.
[Speed] - Sub-skills = Speed, Dodging, Hiding and Backstabbing etc.

[No Longer Used] - Oops, what is this doing here?

Anyway... This is a good system, and a lot of RPG's are smart in using it. We could even eliminate SP altogether, and make each main skill go up automatically every level up. (Levelling up is harder with JI's new system, so I don't know the practicality of this)

If we had a system like that, and I wanted to be... a Merchant (gaining EXP from smithing and stuff). I would invest SP in Intelligence and Dexterity, perhaps a little Strength if I wanted to have some blacksmithing skill. Now here comes a tricky part.. You say: 'How would a Merchant know magic?' Like I said earlier, you could turn down the skill to nearly zero, and the best the Merchant could ever know is the I.S equivalent of thorn.

I'm talking enough, so I'll stop for now. I'm a fountain of ideas, but I fear it's a bit late.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-11-2001 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

GoldenFlight, I carry a lot of weight around some modeller people like Wizard_TPG and stuff. Perhaps if I asked, I could get him to make a model of a baby dragon to replace the shrike.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-11-2001 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

wouldnt the bomber make a better dragon model? long neck, wings...

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-11-2001 01:12 AM
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

what things should be remodeled to (in my opinion):

wildcat=horse
tank=carrige
jericho=caravan
shrike=jyrocopter (like the WC2 dwarven flying machines)
bomber=dragon
big dropship thing=magic flyer (could be a cloud, or whatever could be depicted best as a mage's ride, only summonable by mages?)

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-11-2001 01:15 AM
Appylon
GoblinThief

whatever

Strider for a genius u sure r stupid urself there buddy lol

the reason all those skill are there is so ur character can be difine and different from others.

for example if u use what u say existed then if say 2 clerics existed and both were at lvl 50 then they would be exactly alike. i dont know about u, but that seems kinda BORING! Duh!

Since there are so many skills that allows all characters to bedifferent and unique...HMmmmmmmm... sounds kinda realistic dont it?

The fun about distributing SP is that the player is more involved. This aint no ordinary RPG, not at all like FF7 OK.FF7 there wasnt much involvement.. lvl up lvlup lvlup move along in story lvlup lvl up lvl up lvl up move along with story.........Why do u think everyone plays this game for the graphics or plot....NO , at least i dont, its for the involvement and the ability to have a FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE CHARACTER comprehendo senoire?

Appylon is offline Old Post 08-11-2001 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Appylon Click here to Send Appylon a Private Message Click Here to Email Appylon Find more posts by Appylon Add Appylon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Appy, your completely missing the point.In trpg, it DOES get really annoying only getting 10 sp a level, but have 21 different skills to distrubute them to. With his new system, you raise one stat and it affects multiple abilities. As for your comment about the cleric..If they are both level 50 clerics, arent they SUPPOSED to be the same? I mean they are good defensive castors..thats why the person picked it. If you want to be different, pick another class that excels in the area you like. Personally, I think that that Striders idea is the best Idea so far for a skill point system.

EDIT: As for the comment of him being stupid...I think you need to rethink your statement since he has come up with more good ideas than you ever have...

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

I actually sorta like our current SP system...However, I must say that most level 50 clerics end up using bludge and defcast. ANd very, very few fighters can cast much. So, we get chars that are close already. I'm hoping that we eventually have a way to mass-distribute SP, so that I can just throw 100 sp into a skill if I feel like it, instead of clicking over, and over, and over...

Carpal Tunnel bad.

Then again, with no remorting, (like in IS) Striders system might be better. I dunno....mixed feelings I guess.

PS: Appy, don't do drugs.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

you can mass add sp, its like buying something. just type the number in in say and click the skill. the problem is, you can only mass add 30 sp at a time

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 09:53 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Yeah....but, still, my hand, the hurting! I first got transport with a .3 mult...lesse, how many SP was that? Nearly 700. Ouch.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

I get by just fine with 10 sp/level. You just need to learn to budget your sp spending, and NEVER spend sp on certain skills (mining and haggle are two good examples)

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

More then that DM... You'd need a .5 multiplier to do that, if Transport is still 350 skill. (350 x 2 (sp) = 700)

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 11:33 PM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

quote:
Originally posted by Strider
GoldenFlight, I carry a lot of weight around some modeller people like Wizard_TPG and stuff. Perhaps if I asked, I could get him to make a model of a baby dragon to replace the shrike.

COOLIO!

I missed seeing this whole thread for a while... that would be sweet. The blaster on the shrike would be perfect for a BABY dragon. heh. And you could ride him! IF you could tame him.

Need sp of some sort to capture/ get on him.

ED: btw, WHAT do dragons eat? (dont say people)

and yes, PLEASE, keep it simple. As I said before, OLD folks like me can't carry around all the stats/requirements in their heads and how much documentation do you want to plow through to find answers..YES, you DO need a Newbie Guide.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 08-15-2001 12:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Yeah, and when he grows up he eats your wife (provided we include marriage...)

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-15-2001 01:10 AM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

EEK! So THAT's why they didn't have divorce back then.
"Dear, how about going OUT to dinner? Good, go OUT back, I'll be there in a minute." ROAR! SCREECH! GULP! "Ah, peace and quiet, good Rover."

Yeah, and those MPB's would make good elephants EXCEPT they blow up near water.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 08-15-2001 01:23 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

That's easy to fix. =] I think a few mods have edited the MPB to be a kind of amphibious all terrain transport.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-15-2001 01:31 AM