Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > Boat idea for T2rpg
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Local Drunk
GnollPup

Boat idea for T2rpg

I know this might belong in the other thread, but i thought people would pay more attentioin to it if it was its own thread. Here's the idea: instead of making the boats elevators like in T1rpg, make them actual vehicles! Here's the plan: instead of the boats just going back and forth like trains, there is a merchant-type guy who you rent boats from. He is just standing at the dock, and you go to him, say "yo" or whatever, he says, "Hi! Did you come to see what boats you can BUY or RENT?" If you say RENT, they have a list of boats, or maybe just one boat, that you can rent to go to whatever town you want. When you get to the next dock, you automatically meet the dealer there, where you can choose whether to turn the boat in, or keep it longer by paying a bit more money. You basically pay for rides. Everytime you go by a dock you either have to pay more or just turn it in. When you quit the game, the boat just stays there.
As for buying boats, when you choose to buy, you have a larger selection of boats to choose from. It could look just like the vehicle pad menu in T2. You click on a boat's name and you can see its stats, price, etc. When you buy it, you can take it any where you want (just not on the land ). When you quit, your boat disapears. But when you come back on, the boat reappears at the last dock you were at, or the nearest dock. Also, to avoid boat theft and frusteration, only the person who bought the boat can get into the driving seat.
That way, it isn't like, you log on, your boat appears, but then a newbie sees your boat and hes like "OOH A BOAT" and he starts running over and jumps into it and starts paddling it away, while your standing there yelling "HEY YOU F*CKING NEWBIE GET TEH F*CK OUTTA MY BOAT." Instead, it will be like, you log on, you see your boat, the newbie sees it, so he jumps in and he's just in a passenger seat. You say "HEY DUMBASS GET OUTTA MY BOAT" and he's like "uh i dont know how."

So, you could have multi-passenger boats. These would offer many benefits. For example, a player who buys a big boat with a lot of passenger seats could run his own ferry service. He could have players pay him a small amount (cheaper than renting boats) to ride in his boat. You could also talk to people at the docks and take missions that involve bringing cargo from point A to point B. You could also have big multi-rower boats like those greek and viking boats, where normally they are big and really slow, but if more people get in, the faster it goes, as long as the other passengers are all holding down the forward button, or maybe make it the jet button. To avoid tearing the boat apart, only the captain (person who owns the boat, and sits infront) can choose which direction they go, while everyone else just helps them go faster by holding down the jet key. For more fun, you can have a couple lakes, or maybe a wide open ocean. Since you already make it so the map goes into infinity, make it so the outside of the map is an infinity of water. And you can still have that lake somewhere.

This might not be able to get in, but perhaps you can have warboats that belong to your House, kinda like what machwing suggested. They have cannons and weapons and stuff. That way you can have sea battles. Haha this is gonna be so cool.

I hope you can get this idea into the game, because it would add a lot of fun, and there would be a lot more to traveling and sailing. Personally, i think those choppy-moving rafts are just plain boring. It would just be SOOOO cool if we had this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

The Local Drunk is offline Old Post 07-27-2001 06:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for The Local Drunk Find more posts by The Local Drunk Add The Local Drunk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Local Drunk
GnollPup

Come on guys...i need some replies!

The Local Drunk is offline Old Post 07-28-2001 10:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for The Local Drunk Find more posts by The Local Drunk Add The Local Drunk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sir_Crusader
TravellerKnight

Location: Riverside, Ca, USA Server: Red Moon and FENIX Class: Paladin

Boooo CCCCEeeeeeeeee

Yeah welll thats a great idea, but i think just about everyone is done with TRPG, its all about T2rpg

Name: Sir_Cruasder
Class: Paladin
Level: 73
Remort: 0
-----------------------------------------------

Sir_Crusader is offline Old Post 07-28-2001 10:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sir_Crusader Click here to Send Sir_Crusader a Private Message Click Here to Email Sir_Crusader Find more posts by Sir_Crusader Add Sir_Crusader to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Local Drunk
GnollPup

Uh, the suggestion was for Tribes 2 RPG, not tribes1. Look at the title more carefully.

The Local Drunk is offline Old Post 07-29-2001 09:21 AM
Sir_Crusader
TravellerKnight

Location: Riverside, Ca, USA Server: Red Moon and FENIX Class: Paladin

lol.... This is a TRPG Fourm so i assumed it was refering to it.

Name: Sir_Cruasder
Class: Paladin
Level: 73
Remort: 0
-----------------------------------------------

Sir_Crusader is offline Old Post 07-29-2001 09:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sir_Crusader Click here to Send Sir_Crusader a Private Message Click Here to Email Sir_Crusader Find more posts by Sir_Crusader Add Sir_Crusader to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elahrairah
GoblinRaider

crusader where should he have posted t2 related info.

moron.

anyway, back on topic.

vehicles is a good idea but i think they should still be on a rail and no fee nor rental.

like an HAPC in base tribes a number of people hooks in for the ride, that way people dont fall off in lag!!

Elahrairah is offline Old Post 07-29-2001 09:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Elahrairah Click here to Send Elahrairah a Private Message Find more posts by Elahrairah Add Elahrairah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Wow, Elhrairah sure is being assertive for a n00bie. You shouldn't bug middlebies, respectobies and oldbies, let alone call them morons. =]

I think that's what JI had in mind. Here's what I have for the boats:

The map is set up with the Great Lands all about it (fire, water, desert and forest, with plains and mountains in the center). A river will end in a big lake near Keldrin and will go out to the Rapids of Cantopar (temp name) where you can access any land, but you can only go to the dock at the border, no further. This makes journey a LOT more important until you get transport.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 07-29-2001 04:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Killaz
GnollShaman

this is cool, it could work.. there are some things wrong with it... will explain my anwser after.

Killaz is offline Old Post 07-29-2001 05:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Killaz Click here to Send Killaz a Private Message Click Here to Email Killaz Visit Killaz's homepage! Find more posts by Killaz Add Killaz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MagicalMongoose
GoblinRunt

I think that idea sounds great. I don't understand people who are opposed to new things. Any idea, that makes any logical sense, deserves to be considered. Just by saying "...vehicles is a good idea but i think they should still be on a rail and no fee nor rental." Well, since you have little knowledge on how to express yourself, I'll help you a little...
I think that people should be able to buy and rent boats. It would be very cool to see a skill called Water Skills, which would include everything to swimming skills, and "buoyancy control", to Navigation, which could allow you to steer a boat. The higher the level, the more precise the steering gets. I still think there should be the boats that we already have, but much more intriquite for the advanced boats (the "Bot" boat should just be a raft, similar to the current ones but much more detailed). Such as they have multiple rooms. If you are a merchant, you could buy have kind of of Trade Cog, with bankers, and merchants inside of it. But, transportation doesn't stop at boats... .You could go to a stable, go to the Trainer (or something like that) and you should be able to buy a horse, that is complete with realistic animations. But, in order for you to be able to take it on a boat, it needs to be a stable boat. (and you can't go underwater with the god damn horse, unless if they introduced coding which would allow you to float in the water...). Basically, these what the boats should be...

Standard Raft---Water Skill:0
Just a standard raft that is controlled by the game.

Standard Boat--Water Skill:100
A boat which is a basic sailing boat that can hold up to 2 people.

Stable Boat--Water Skill:200
A boat which can hold up to 3 people, and 3 horses.

Trade Cog---Non drivable (controlled by NPCs)
A ship used by merchants to trade weapons from far off places, which can only be found on these boats...

War Galley--Water Skill:500
A ship that is equipped with cannons, and can hold up to 12 people.

Ferry--Water Skill:1000
A gigantic ship that can carry 20 people, and 20 horses.

Also, the ships can have aditional things added to them, but all at Keldrin Port (or something like that). Keldrin Port would be the main warf. I also suggest that they add creatures in the water, to scare people who are stupid enough to dive in for a swim...

MagicalMongoose is offline Old Post 07-29-2001 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MagicalMongoose Click here to Send MagicalMongoose a Private Message Click Here to Email MagicalMongoose Find more posts by MagicalMongoose Add MagicalMongoose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Local Drunk
GnollPup

Those are some great ideas, magical mongoose. The only problem, though, is that with those big ships you were talking about, with rooms and npcs and stuff, wont be possible. The Tribes2 engine isn't capable of making moving buildings that actually work right. What i mean is, if they had those boats in T2rpg, you would be falling through the floor and getting damage from being "run over" and stuff like that. Just play tribes2 and try standing ontop of a vehicle without getting in, while someone is driving it, and you will see what i mean. Still, good ideas. Maybe it'll have to wait for T3rpg

The Local Drunk is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 01:42 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Mongoose, how long have you been playing? No one in their right mind would waste SP on any water skill. =]

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
machwing
OgreHalberdier

if you could only get to cirtain places through/under water, people would.

maybe another skill would be breath, where more in the skill= the longer you could stay under without drowning. Could be useful in underwater dungeons:P

machwing is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 02:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for machwing Click here to Send machwing a Private Message Click Here to Email machwing Find more posts by machwing Add machwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elahrairah
GoblinRaider

im saying like the current boat system, but you get strapped into a seat like an HAPC, so people dont fall off in lag.

stop insulting me because of a low post count. ***** i should go log back on as Zel, you guys all see someone differently and disregard their views if you dont recognize the name? well thats jsut horrible. Zelgadis had worked up some respect and his ideas were listened to, and with that i can see painfully odviously that people online dont read everyones text the same.

Elahrairah is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Elahrairah Click here to Send Elahrairah a Private Message Find more posts by Elahrairah Add Elahrairah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

Boats are fun, especially when you can control them.

I give this idea...........

A rating of 9

You have brought up a great idea to contribute to the RPG Experience, which TRPG and T2RPG do behold. Your creativity (with a little help from others on your presentation and clearer explination) has given you a high rating of 9. be proud and happy. Only few get a high rating of 9 or 10.

Video Being Fixed
Whoever b0rked my sig, don't56k'ers, don't try ^_^ | no more plugin dl!

Last edited by Cloud on 07-30-2001 at 03:34 PM

Cloud is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 03:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CiClopse
TravellerThug

I havnt ben following up on this thread but my idea is to have bigger towns, were you can actualy get lost in, sum what like everquest etc, and as we know there is an almost unlimited amoutnt of terrain space out there... so Big Body's of water would be cool, and no more boats, we would need Ships... also I havnt seen an elevator in Tribes 2 yet so how would you make an elevator-like boat, we would proly have to stick with the vehicles... also are we going to be able to "BUY" Carrages(Vehicles) or whateva we gunna call them in T2RPG?? That is if anyone knows, I know the mod is far from done.......

CHECK MY FRO OUT!Appear

CiClopse is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CiClopse Click here to Send CiClopse a Private Message Visit CiClopse's homepage! Find more posts by CiClopse Add CiClopse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Local Drunk
GnollPup

quote:
Boats are fun, especially when you can control them.

I give this idea...........

A rating of 9

You have brought up a great idea to contribute to the RPG Experience, which TRPG and T2RPG do behold. Your creativity (with a little help from others on your presentation and clearer explination) has given you a high rating of 9. be proud and happy. Only few get a high rating of 9 or 10.

The Local Drunk is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 12:17 AM
Jake Logan
GoblinRunt

from all the suggestions ive been hearing if you use the sp system its gunna be a b*tch for players if admins use the amounts they use now. so either you would have to group these skills together, have high growth rates, or alot of sp at the beggining and each LVL. I have a question will the be animations when you attack or is it going to be that your arms and such dont move and only the movement is the weapon with like the stupid animations we have now??? i had a cool idea i got from a halflife mod. i heard about the have your own houses and that stuff so you should be able to have scientists or whatever you wanna call em so you can develop new weaponry and other things but that would prbly be a pain in the arse to code and think all the way. and if you want to know the mod its Science and Industry!

Jake Logan is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jake Logan Click here to Send Jake Logan a Private Message Find more posts by Jake Logan Add Jake Logan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

hrm.

I have also seen that you can edit the water in T2 to make the waves huge. (little rafty go UP and down Ride the waves in a game....

Also I dont think it would be hard to convert a hovercraft into a water vehicle and make it so it cannot go uphill (preventing it from climbing the coast to some great extent)
Look at the pretty smile! Don't touch or it will grow a fro.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 01:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote