Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > A cry for roleplayality [T2RPG] -FIXED-
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Arc-DRG-
GoblinThief

A cry for roleplayality [T2RPG] -FIXED-

Hey, its me again. I know this comes around often, but I have some ides for T2RPG. I dont want to seem pushy, but most of my ideas would improve the "roleplayality" as I clal it, of the game.

Well for one, we definitly need a marrige system. I know it seems a bit out there for all you low leveled role-players, but it would really improve the communication and well being of us role-players.

We could do this many ways. 1: Cordgily, where two agree and set a date, place, and choose some guests, then have a huge ceremony. 2: Mutual, when two people mutually agree to be married and are form then on bonded together. 3: WoT style, where the Ladie chooses a man and they become forever attached as a couple... kind like a charm spell, hehe.

There are a few other ways, but I don't want you to be reading this thing forever!

We definitly need to get rid of global and zone speech! Lets think about this long and hard, In real life could I walk outside and say " 'global' Hey Jeremy Irons, wanna hear my ideas for Tribes RPG? " and have him hear me? Nope!

I totally agree with the mail idea... I'm not too sure on how it would work, but it would improve the roleplayality of this RPG so much! I know you guys love to talk to each other, and thats why we have a global off switch, but come on, its called a Role-Playing game... When you talk about anime and gizmo's all day thats not role-playing!

Improved attack actions. I said it, ack! Yeah its great that we can hold a sword and all but whats the point when it looks like it has an omnipresence to move itself? It kinda makes me feel like I have no skill because I'm not swinging it, its doing it on its own.

Thats porbably going to be the hardest of them all I know, but it would improve the game so much by doing that!

That kinda brought me to this point... Parrying and sheilds! Get a use out of a new button! Press and hold like... 'a' or something to put your sheild in harms way, or your two handed sword. Hell we would have a whole new skill! Parrying, basically a way to increase your defense at the loss of a chance to attack!

Counterspell! This one is short and simple, notify us when someone or thing is going to fire upon us when our charactor sees him doing the action, use the counterspell spell, and repel it safely away from yourself! Of course it would be an awesomely high level spell...

Lastly, weaker resist on monsters! I am sick of trying to make a mage when I cant even kill a damn goblin runt with my magic because he always resists! The weakest monster in game resisting a poor newbies spell is not fair! How do you expect mages to level like warriors and paladins when they cant even kill a runt with their first spells?

I hope you read all of that, and respond to me on this cry for roleplayality! thanks for taking your time to even notice my post though. hehe, peace out!

Whatever happened before is weird... Sorry bout that ^^

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Arc-DRG- is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 09:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Arc-DRG- Click here to Send Arc-DRG- a Private Message Click Here to Email Arc-DRG- Visit Arc-DRG-'s homepage! Find more posts by Arc-DRG- Add Arc-DRG- to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

heh i like the no zone and no global idea tied in with a mail delivery system =]

but don't forget, this IS a game.. it might not be good for gameplay in general to cut-off zone/global/tell messages

...but i AM considering it

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 02:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

i also like the counter-spell idea.

you'd cast it (it would be quick like IronFist), and for the next 1 second, any spell would bounce off you or cause less damage or something

As for improved attack actions, in T2RPG you actually DO swing your arm now

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 02:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

Arc has a few nice ideas i do like. his ideas wrapd DnD back into the game, as well as make it somewhat more realistic. In fact, he inspired me to think of a new subskill if you took out #zone and #global. but leave #shout

#Telepath- With a high enough speech count, you would be able to call on the power of telepathy, to tap into someones mind and speak to him (would take the place of #tell, but this time with a speech skill restriction). Only if the other player also has telepathy, will they be able to have two way communication. if not, it's like having a broken walkie talkie, with only the speaker, and no microphone.

I agree with arc, #zone and #global are a little too extreme, unless you bring the God remort lower to say maybe 50 :P and make #global a Godly power, #zone maybe restricted to remort 25, being a Demi-God.

Also Parrying, a VERY cool idea. But as in DnD, a parry would be a saved attack. so you wouldnt be able to parry right after you hit. it would be like, instead of swinging your weapon in your right hand, you would swing your shield out (which is in the left), and that would be most likely your parry. This would also bring into affect Weapon and Armor status. I mean of course, if your shield is gettiung whacked every other round of attack, it's not going to be in perfect condition.

I dunno, i just like the ideas

Video Being Fixed
Whoever b0rked my sig, don't56k'ers, don't try ^_^ | no more plugin dl!

Cloud is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 03:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

How bout.... a speech skill? I mean, we have one already, but beyond a certain point, it's pretty much worthless. How about, #zone at 500 speech, #global at 800? That would make it possible, yet tough....

Also, I don't know anyone who's remorted 50 times... 28, yeah, but 50, nah... Leave God remort like it is. It's freaking tough, but still within the realm of possibility. I *know* I'll hit it before Ironsphere comes out.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 03:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

quote:
Originally posted by DeathMerchant
How bout.... a speech skill? I mean, we have one already, but beyond a certain point, it's pretty much worthless. How about, #zone at 500 speech, #global at 800? That would make it possible, yet tough....

Also, I don't know anyone who's remorted 50 times... 28, yeah, but 50, nah... Leave God remort like it is. It's freaking tough, but still within the realm of possibility. I *know* I'll hit it before Ironsphere comes out.

#Telepath- With a high enough speech count, you would be able to call on the power of telepathy, to tap into someones mind and speak to him (would take the place of #tell, but this time with a speech skill restriction). Only if the other player also has telepathy, will they be able to have two way communication. if not, it's like having a broken walkie talkie, with only the speaker, and no microphone.

i posted a new speech sub-skill. Remove #tell, which is way to easy to use. if ya wanna keep global and zone, i agree with death merchant, give them a higher restriction, with #telepath being the highest (replacing #tell)

if you still want a low version of #tell, you can add #whisper. within a 5 foot diameter, you would be able to whisper something to someone with having to #say or #shout it.

Video Being Fixed

Cloud is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 04:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

I'd make #tell easier than global, but tougher than #zone... I think it would reduce the abount of #globals that only affect 1 person. Also known as spam to those who don't care....

Don't forget #group, either.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 04:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

quote:
I'd make #tell easier than global, but tougher than #zone... I think it would reduce the abount of #globals that only affect 1 person. Also known as spam to those who don't care....

Don't forget #group, either.

Very good point, #tell or #telepath WOULD be easier to learn, as to speaking to the entire world. When i first posted, i didn't think of that fully, and your right.

As for #group, again, a distance restriction should be added. Yeah your in a group, but in Real Life, most groups stick together. If a member of your group is out of the distance range, The person initiating the group chat would recieve a note in red saying somehting like "PlayerName is out of group range"

Video Being Fixed

Cloud is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 04:16 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Exactly what I had in mind! Perhaps speech could be used for a few oddball spells too...#confuse, to freeze a bot for 5 sec... etc.

Marriage though...I'd rather leave that out. Too realistic. :-)

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 04:21 PM
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

Great Minds Think Alike

I play ADnD on weekends in my garage with a group of friends. and what you just brought up, reminded me of something my minotaur friend did.

Instead of #Confuse, or maybe an expansion to it, there could be a command #intimidate. #Intimidate would either paralyze the bot due to fear, or make him run scared.

#Confuse could either be a higher speech skill or a lower speech skill, giving the same results, but for longer or shorter amounts of time

This combined speech sub skills idea is rated an 8

Video Being Fixed

Cloud is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 04:36 PM
Arc-DRG-
GoblinThief

Well...

No one talked about marrige... That was probably my favorite because I've had lots of fun with that ability in ultima online.

Hrmm I kind of think you are missing the point on speech... I want to rid of global totaly... I guess zone would be ok for high level remorts, but not global. I know you all love that commnd and everything, but whats the point of playing a roleplaying game that isnt in role itself?

The mail Idea was not mine, I was only agreeing to it! just letting you know...

Awesome, they swing now!? You'll have to let me see! I play T2 on a 1.8 ghz 2000 ram gypsy 2... ^_-

Thanks for responding to my post!

Arc-DRG- is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 05:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Arc-DRG- Click here to Send Arc-DRG- a Private Message Click Here to Email Arc-DRG- Visit Arc-DRG-'s homepage! Find more posts by Arc-DRG- Add Arc-DRG- to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

quote:
Marriage though...I'd rather leave that out. Too realistic. :-)

I brought it up myself a couple months ago...and came to the conclusion that it sucks. Like it or not, most of TRPGers are male. This presents problems, unless you want to get into gay marriages... That would probably just create more problems.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 05:31 PM
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

chee and electricdeath are in short supply around here.

we need global! trpg is just a spiffy chatroom to a lot of players, who likes to play alone? if a server is empty its no fun, thats because we swing, talk, heal, talk, swing, talk, run, talk, buy, talk, sell, talk, fight, talk, cast, talk, mine, talk.... et cetera ad nauseum

mrtrpg.cjb.net - homepage for the Mythical Realms mod of TRPG

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 05:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Heh, ever tried playing TRPG on your own server, legit, and see how long it takes to get boring... Less than 5 min for me... admin only adds another 10 min of entertainment.

RPG's depend on interaction....One nice effect of high globabl skill. Less spamming newbies.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 06:05 PM
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

quote:

I brought it up myself a couple months ago...and came to the conclusion that it sucks. Like it or not, most of TRPGers are male. This presents problems, unless you want to get into gay marriages... That would probably just create more problems.

DM's answer is the reason i didnt rate the marriage thing. The TRPG Community is about 85-93% male. not enough women to go around :( , making it a pointless waste of time and hardcoding. No offense to the person who created the idea.

Video Being Fixed

Cloud is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 06:12 PM
Galadriel
Elven Queen

quote:
Originally posted by Zelgadis
chee and electricdeath are in short supply around here.

you left out me and GoldenFlight...

quote:
Originally posted by JeremyIrons
As for improved attack actions, in T2RPG you actually DO swing your arm now

*drool*

edit: i copied the one from Zelgadis but i forgot to change the name lol

Galadriel is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 09:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Galadriel Click here to Send Galadriel a Private Message Click Here to Email Galadriel Find more posts by Galadriel Add Galadriel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

That would be :Originally posted by JeremyIrons.

And as I understand it, there is no remort in IS.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Arc-DRG-
GoblinThief

You dont get the point again about #global and #zone... Its called a roleplaying game.

Roleplay - To act or behave in the actions of another person or being.

That basically says it all. If we are roleplaying then we shouldnt be able to message eachother from across the world.

Arc-DRG- is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 09:49 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

quote:
Originally posted by Arc-DRG-
You dont get the point again about #global and #zone... Its called a roleplaying game.

Roleplay - To act or behave in the actions of another person or being.

That basically says it all. If we are roleplaying then we shouldnt be able to message eachother from across the world.

Well, perhaps telepathy is an innate ability in the world of Ironsphere/TRPG?

The whole point is to have fun... If it ruins the fun, then it's counterproductive...

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 09:52 PM
Arc-DRG-
GoblinThief

If you want world talk lets try this.

We input telepathy, so you can talk to others, but, there is also a certain level of that skill need for others to hear you... This way those who dont roleplay can go on chatting with eachother, and those of us that dont can go on with our business by not using that skill...

Arc-DRG- is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 10:01 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

/Me points a few posts upward in the thread to a previous post.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 10:14 PM
machwing
OgreHalberdier

ok arc heres a scenerio: a bunch of guys are playing characters tey just made and they want to share strats, but they cant talk to eachother. Removing global will kill 50% of TRPG gamers. its a game, not real life.

machwing is offline Old Post 07-30-2001 11:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for machwing Click here to Send machwing a Private Message Click Here to Email machwing Find more posts by machwing Add machwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

actually.

Removing global is a VERY good idea in T2RPG considering we may have over a hundred people on a server. It would be IMPOSSIBLE if global was activated. Zone should be restricted to royalty to be able to comunicate to there men if Zone is included. Say, Shout, whisper are enough for me.

You will have plenty of people in your vicinity to talk to, dont worry about it. Also it is more fun that way. Just think, you wont know where your buddy is. Also remove any chat that allows a char to talk over extended distances. Party, Group etc.

When JI finishes the coding to allow multiple serers to work off of one map will turn #global into a real big problem. Zone will be bad in zones with alot of people 'Uknown' or the towns people start in or 'newbie'(low lvl) towns.

In my opinion #zone #global should be erradicated. And a mail system should be implemented that the mail is deliverd by actuall humans or bots. (a way to get paid) IDEA. Have mail carriers that go deliver the mail and get paid a nice sum of cash. (people must pay the mail service to send mail).

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

#global could be a problem, but it could also work. #zone is ok if you increase its requirements and disable it in unknown. #shout radius should go up with increased skill. However, I think #tell should remain in, even if you just attach a speech requirement.

A lot depends on the server setup.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 01:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Arc-DRG-
GoblinThief

In response to...

quote:
its a game, not real life.

Like I've been trying to say. You're right, it is a game, a game that is simulating real life. Thus there was no point to your remark. If its a simulation, then it needs to be as close as it can get.

Arc-DRG- is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 05:40 AM
Galadriel
Elven Queen

quote:
Originally posted by Arc-DRG-
In response to...

Like I've been trying to say. You're right, it is a game, a game that is simulating real life. Thus there was no point to your remark. If its a simulation, then it needs to be as close as it can get.

so.... your saying that everyday we go to Keldrin Mine and kill Goblins or Uber Zone to kill Ubers?

i think not

Galadriel is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 07:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Galadriel Click here to Send Galadriel a Private Message Click Here to Email Galadriel Find more posts by Galadriel Add Galadriel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Arc-DRG-
GoblinThief

UGH! FOR GODSSAKE! I HATE TO YELL BUT DAMN! LIKE I SAID, ITS A SIMULATION OF LIFE! I NEVER SAID WE GO TO KELDRIN!! I SAID ITS A SIMULATION OF LIFE! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE LIVING THE LIFE OF A PERSON IN MEDIEVAL TIMES! OR... WHATEVER!! JUST PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE QUIT MAKING SMART REMARKS WHEN YOU ARE MATURE ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!

Arc-DRG- is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 08:07 AM
machwing
OgreHalberdier

maybe some of us play these games to get away from the hell known as life...if we want to compramist then have the server woner choose...jebus...

machwing is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 08:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for machwing Click here to Send machwing a Private Message Click Here to Email machwing Find more posts by machwing Add machwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

If someone wants to get married badly enough, they'll organize it themselves. The code doesn't need to be there.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 03:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Underloard
UndeadSkeleton

Listen, zel is right, we need to have a way to talk to another person across the map. #tell would be nice, but it can get complicated the way you have to type all the names.

Toaster, Your right about not making a code for that, however many people have come up with church buildings, and it might be a decent thing to do, however.

Take a church, Put a cleric bot in there. He can cast a weak heal on you for a few coins a medium for more $ and a godlyheal of fullheal for even more $, same with shields (They would have to last longer, but I will bring that up in a min) THey would also sell all sorts of potions, and holy items (similer to Baulder's Gate).

Magic shields should not last for a time period, but last for a certain amount of hits blocked, that way my church idea could be implimented better. say reguler shield would last for 15 blocked hits ADVshield1 would last for 30 ect. Now if clerics cast shield it still could have the time period, so magic would still have advantages.

now in the church there should be a nun, who can educate you about dungeons and rumors happening around (for donaitions).

There should be at least a church in every town and have a main temple called Phen's Temple somewear out in the open. Have that temple sell the best magical stuff ( ie. mage tower and apprentice equip).

That is just my idea.

Go Non-Communists!

[img]http://www.flags.com/dreamimages/Flags/wavingus.gif[[/img]
[img]http://www.flags.com/dreamimages/Flags/canadasm.GIF[/img]
[img]http://www.flags.com/dreamimages/Flags/englandsm.GIF[/img]

God bless America!

Underloard is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 04:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Underloard Click here to Send Underloard a Private Message Click Here to Email Underloard Find more posts by Underloard Add Underloard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote