Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > New Damage System =(
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Faranim
GoblinRunt

Thumbs down New Damage System =(

I personally dont like the new damage system...

The messages on the bottom are a good idea, but they come and go so quickly and there is no way to re-read them.

The new Damage slowdown thing is just outright annoying...

Here's what happens to me:

1) I get hit by an Uber.
2) My screen turns bright red and i cant see how much damage i took or my life left, and when i try to move anywhere i dont go anywhere.
3) By the time i can see again, I get whacked a 2nd time and the process repeats.

Also, when drowning underwater, once u start to take the 1 damage it is near impossible to climb back out.

Hopefully in a future patch the slow-down will only occur on high damage hits, and that the massive Red Flash will be reduced.

Anyone else agree?

Remort: Two
Level: 80-ish

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Faranim is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 04:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Faranim Click here to Send Faranim a Private Message Click Here to Email Faranim Find more posts by Faranim Add Faranim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

interesting thread

please post comments

However when you think about it, the slowdown thing should have been around since the very beginning... I dunno why we never thought of it before

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 08:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

problem with the slow down thing.

If you get damaged because you were under water too long you slow down and it becomes very hard to get out. very very hard. My reccomendation is to make it not slow you down if the damage type is water.

Another comment. Can you make the bottom damage message multiple lines. Lets say 5. This way you will see all the messages.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 08:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Internet
MinotaurGoliath

could the damage messages be changed back? cause like if you get pk'ed by someone you won't know who it was... (ex. I am in in orc mimic and tzu transports to jaten and I beam tzu dead and tzu doesn't know who killed him and this happens over and over...) and messages fly by so quickly you can't read em. and you block your vision with damage messages...

------------------------------------------------
Character Status

Server: Binker and Newbie's RPG
Name: Internet
Class: Ranger
RL: 22
Level: 91
Cash: 5.2 million
Storage: Enough stuff to equip an army... Also interested in buying keldrinite for good prices (I will outbid almost anyone.)
Last Updated: 10/28/01

Internet is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Internet Click here to Send Internet a Private Message Find more posts by Internet Add Internet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Internet
MinotaurGoliath

also... say your chasing after someone you want to pk... you fly after them with windwalkers and happen to hit yourself for one point of damage... you get slowed down and whoever your are pursuing ends up escaping cause you ended up getting slowed down for just getting a tiny scratch of 1 damage... could this be fixed? it gets real annoying getting slowed down due to extremly minor damage... (when you got 1,000+ hp 1 damage is so unnoticable it's like nothing happened...)

Character Status

Storage: Enough stuff to equip an army... Also interested in buying keldrinite for good prices (I will outbid almost anyone.)

Internet is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Internet Click here to Send Internet a Private Message Find more posts by Internet Add Internet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Particle

This is why I hate Counter-Strike...

Anyway, I agree for high-damage hits, perhaps a certain percentage of your total HP in one blow will do a slow down and a big red flash.

I have noticed that when fighting, you can't do any #w's or Tab-Status lookups anymore, which is quite annoying.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest." - Unknown
"Eh?" - Particle

Particle is online now Old Post 10-24-2001 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Particle Click here to Send Particle a Private Message Click Here to Email Particle Visit Particle's homepage! Find more posts by Particle Add Particle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maniac_pyro
GoblinRunt

I agree, the damage at the bottom of the screen also only lets you see damage to 1 Bot/player if you are useing an explosive spell, usealy it gives damage you do to yourself if you are in the blast radius. The previouse system would let you see who you've damaged, and you can ask a friend to leave if you are hiting him/her. The slowdown is realy anoying to because it not only slows you down with 1 point of damage, it also sometimes slows you down when you are missed, prebenting your escape dispite not takeing any damage. Please return the damage messages to the top chat box.

Maniac_pyro is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 11:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maniac_pyro Click here to Send Maniac_pyro a Private Message Click Here to Email Maniac_pyro Find more posts by Maniac_pyro Add Maniac_pyro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Internet
MinotaurGoliath

The slowdown effect should only occur when mabye being hit for a % of your hp.

cause think about it... would a papercut stop a level 101 player?

Character Status

Internet is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 11:52 PM
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

MR has a HP max proportional red flash, expmple, a new character will get a heavy flash from five damage, but someone with 3k HP wont notice a 100 point hit, maybe this could be applied to the slowdown?

i havent seen this slowdown personally, but i think my idea would work for you guys. its jsut a single multiplication factor.

mrtrpg.cjb.net - homepage for the Mythical Realms mod of TRPG

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 11:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

ok i agree with making it a percentage of the hp, but what the hell is this bottom damage screen thing?? do i have alzheimers or something?

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Internet
MinotaurGoliath

quote:
Originally posted by JeremyIrons
ok i agree with making it a percentage of the hp, but what the hell is this bottom damage screen thing?? do i have alzheimers or something?

hrm mabye only B&N put that in...

and no you don't have alzheimers

Character Status

Internet is offline Old Post 10-24-2001 11:58 PM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

quote:

No you don't It is just that people who make changes outside of yours arn't telling the people who play on the server as well. It's annoying if you ask me.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 10-25-2001 12:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Alzheimers is a bad thing for a coder to have.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 10-25-2001 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-SB-SilverHorse
GoblinThief

Its a bad thing for anyone..

And that slowdown thing really sucks while trying to make a quest, even if its runts hitting you you can't fly up

It is humankinds own pride which will destroy it in the end. Pride of name. Pride of country. Pride of anything and everything. Be wary of damaging another's pride, for once you damage it you are never truly forgiven. Beware of people out to damage your own pride, for pride lost is lost forever. - SilverHorse

-SB-SilverHorse is offline Old Post 10-25-2001 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for -SB-SilverHorse Click here to Send -SB-SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email -SB-SilverHorse Visit -SB-SilverHorse's homepage! Find more posts by -SB-SilverHorse Add -SB-SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InsanEWarriorr
GnollShaman

do you people use the traditional RPGhud?

heh and what are you doing in uberzone if you cant handle it
and why walk when you can take a boat :P

DarKFreelanceR
Race: DarkElf
Class: Paladin / Centurian
Level: 104
Remort: 2
Coins: 100k
Currently Kickin Ass
-----------------------
to Newbies!
to 133t s!

InsanEWarriorr is offline Old Post 10-25-2001 01:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for InsanEWarriorr Click here to Send InsanEWarriorr a Private Message Click Here to Email InsanEWarriorr Find more posts by InsanEWarriorr Add InsanEWarriorr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

what if i came out with 5.006 or something, without the new map etc, but with a progressive slow-down thing.

The higher the damage, the more you get slown down. For example, if you get hit for 50% of your HP, you will switch to armor4 i believe

I think only rpg coders will understand what i mean...

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 10-29-2001 02:26 PM
Goku101
TravellerPaladin

hey JI, check out the general discussions forum

Goku

Level:33
Remort:9
Class:Paladin/CrusaderIX
Race:Goblin
House Fenyar Website

Goku101 is offline Old Post 10-29-2001 03:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Goku101 Click here to Send Goku101 a Private Message Click Here to Email Goku101 Find more posts by Goku101 Add Goku101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

If less than 20% damage, don't even bother with a slowdown...

BTW, alzheimers isn't always bad... You can save money on reading material...just use one newspaper.

Even better, wrap your own Christmas Presents!

No worries though, the screwed up dmg reporting is a binkers only thing.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 10-29-2001 09:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

quote:
what if i came out with 5.006 or something, without the new map etc, but with a progressive slow-down thing.

The higher the damage, the more you get slown down. For example, if you get hit for 50% of your HP, you will switch to armor4 i believe

I think only rpg coders will understand what i mean...

50% is a bit high, if you still want the slowdown to take effect use around 25% for armor4. if youre hit for 50% in one swipe, you wont survive any slowdown, and it will be a bit catastrophic,

(imagine the poor hardcore players fighting Sloths!)

mrtrpg.cjb.net - homepage for the Mythical Realms mod of TRPG

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 10-29-2001 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote