Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > Skills System for IS (Strider's Idea)
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Auwar
OrcSlayer

yeah, like a 1.0 endurance and 1.5 o cast and 1.5 slashing
what happens?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Auwar is offline Old Post 09-12-2001 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Auwar Click here to Send Auwar a Private Message Find more posts by Auwar Add Auwar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Silvanus
GoblinThief

Lightbulb A few ideas

Alright, yeah, I'm writing at 1 am on a school day. Smart me. Woo. Annnnyway... Few ideas popped into my head as I read this, esp. for SP distrbutation and management. SPDM. Heh. Yeah.. alright then.

First idea's fairly simple, somewhat like Strider's. There are (S)tats, (T)alents, and (M)odifiers. Each category is assigned a basic numerical value based on usefulness and each category has sub categories sorted by usefulness/SP cost. Each thing inside each category will have an additional SP cost thus allowing for a cumulative cost for complex skills. For instance:

(The value in [ ]'s is the SP cost. *'s indicate headers that require no starting cost.)

==(S)tats==
-Strength [*]
^---Force [1]
^---Weight Capacity [1]
-Dexterity [*]
^---Agility [2]
^---Handling [1]
-Intelligence [1]
^---Sense [1]
^---Wisdom [2]
^---Lore [1]
-Endurance [*]
^---Stamina [1]
^---Health [2]
^---Tolerance [5] (<--explanation coming up)

The above example is only a suggested, thrown together example. By now I've forgotten my other system, so, eh.

Skill points in one area are limited to a precentage of what your total invested SP are at the time, balancing out uber-chars within reason. Precentages are a balance issue and thus need to be worked out around the time of internal testing. There's no way I'm going to suggest precentages because I'd be *****ed at from one group or another. Anyway, yeah. I mean, you can have all the mmucle you want, but if you're dumb as a rock, why bother? And how would you be smart enough to continue your training to actually advance a "level" in your life? You've got to havea little bit of brains to weild a weapon. Actually, I take that back. You need just enough to pick it up and swing it. You need a brain to figure out which end is the pointy part of the stick and how to poke your enemy with it. And to use it effectively, or even masterfully, you're going to need to be even smarter, agile, etc.

Oh, yeah, tolerance. Endurance is a category I figured needed a little fleshing out, and therefore explaining. Tolerance is a dodging substitute/co-defense-amplifier-thingy-that-needs-a-better-name. As people have mentioned before, dodging every single hit to avoid damage is unrealistic. However, pain tolerance also would help a "hero" to go on without getting truly damaged. So it'd probably end up using a forumla like we currently have except then you'd subtract this from your first end result for damage: (HP/Dmg)*Tolerance. If the result is less than 1 damage, the result is set to 1. You don't avoid all damage, but you get to shave a lot of it off, if you devote time to that stat.

Tolerance would obviously have a maximum level, probably around 10. Iunno. Annnnyway... To tell the truth, it'd almost fit better in Modifiers, but, yeah. Alright, Stamina. So there's the whole question of water in T2RPG, and how people will be damaged in it. Well I dun care how JI handles it, but I'd like to suggest a way to determine how long you can stay under without taking damage. Stamina is a combination of bodily weariness and breath. If you're out of Stamina, you can't move very fast. Underwater, Stamina drains much faster. At a x2 rate or so, probably. Your stamina is your breath-o-meter. When you run out of stamina, you'd better get out of the water or grow some gills. Woo. Stamina.

Modifiers time. Modifiers do what they sound like they do. They modify things, especially skills. For instance, a modifier called "Clarity" might reduce spell-casting time. A modifier titled "Discipline" might reduce skill cost at a small amount per level. You get the picture. Modifiers are the primary way to give your character a unique "feel" from the others out there by piecing together your own set of modifiers to compliment your basic stats. Obviouslly, many modifiers will be expensive, and some will require others to be applied before you can continue down the line, picking up cumulative costs for intricate modifiers and whatnot. I'd elaborate more but my brain is shot. I think you get the idea. I was thinking you'd put Mastery in here, but I realized, that while it may indeed be a modifier, it would be a large sub-category and might be best seperated from the others as it's own, seperate category.

As far as classes go, I do think the guy that I'm too tired now to remember the name of hit upon a good idea. Type in a name for yourself for others to see as your class. However, instead of doing whatever you want, there would be pred-defined names. A laaaarge list of them. If you don't see what you want, submit it to whoever ends up managing this, they check it, if it seems alright, they add it to the list and wait for a certain amount of time, most likely a month. Upon completion of said month a server-side file would be released containing the current set of titles available. In-game, you look up the title you want in an online database page, enter it's reference number, and boom, you're done. You've got yourself a title. Before anyone whines about uniqueness and whatnot, remember, the database should end up fairly large. If you submit your own custom title, then you've got a fairly unique one because others are busy sifting through to find what they want. And besides, this encourages unique characters so they can use unique titles that many people would have no use for.

Few magic/skill types that've been tossed out before I'm going to toss out one more time. Enhancement and Artificement. Enchanter/ress and Tinkerer/Inventor respectively, in layman's terms. Lore applies quite a bit to these two classes. The Artificer would focus mainly on identification of items, use of technomagicrapola, stuff like that. Might be able to modify items slightly. Enhancement has two categories, organic and inorganic. ORganic is obvious, inorganic is mainly for enhancing weapons and armor with expensive-to-research magical attributes. I just now saw the capital R and yes I do indeed plan to ignore my typo. So nyah.

So... yeah.. I'm tired now. Feedback apreciated. Most the time, anyway. If ye have a negative thing to say, don't bother unless you can politely express your opinion rather than swearing every other word to try and inflate teh size of your post in a foolish attempt to make yourself look bigger and better, and more "adult" by using "grown-up" words. Really.. I'm sleeping now. Read and enjoy, if you don't die halfway through the post due to it's length. Don't forget to eat. I am not liable for any deaths or personal injuries incurred from prolonged study or worshipping of said ideas. I am not an egomaniac, I'm just better than you and I know it. And I am really, really sleeping now.

Really!

Stop looking at me like that....

Bah. *Walks off*

Silvanus is offline Old Post 09-13-2001 09:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Silvanus Click here to Send Silvanus a Private Message Click Here to Email Silvanus Find more posts by Silvanus Add Silvanus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Silvanus
GoblinThief

And for all that typing I Get no replies.. esh...

Silvanus is offline Old Post 09-18-2001 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Silvanus Click here to Send Silvanus a Private Message Click Here to Email Silvanus Find more posts by Silvanus Add Silvanus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

NO MORE MODIFIERS, PLEASE!!!!!

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 09-18-2001 09:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sir_Crusader
TravellerKnight

Location: Riverside, Ca, USA Server: Red Moon and FENIX Class: Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Mog
Why the hell do people always want a good attacker with good ocast? it DOESNT HAPPEN! Lets not try to stray from the"Fighters arent good at magic, Mages arent good at weapons" base. Goes against common rpg ideas. Fighters use strength and weapon skills to get them through. Mages us intelligence and their magicks. If you do create a class like that, your gonna have everyone going to that class and nothing else. Bottom Line : Dm's idea = bad.

Thank you.

Name: Sir_Cruasder
Class: Paladin
Level: 73
Remort: 0
-----------------------------------------------

Sir_Crusader is offline Old Post 09-18-2001 11:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sir_Crusader Click here to Send Sir_Crusader a Private Message Click Here to Email Sir_Crusader Find more posts by Sir_Crusader Add Sir_Crusader to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Silvanus
GoblinThief

I personally love modifiers. What I don't love is having them in a disorganized clump under one menu. If they were organized they'd be far easier to navigate and use. I think that modifiers are the way to really tweak your char to get the feel that suits you best.

Silvanus is offline Old Post 09-19-2001 12:06 AM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

quote:
Originally posted by Mog
Why the hell do people always want a good attacker with good ocast? it DOESNT HAPPEN! Lets not try to stray from the"Fighters arent good at magic, Mages arent good at weapons" base. Goes against common rpg ideas. Fighters use strength and weapon skills to get them through. Mages us intelligence and their magicks. If you do create a class like that, your gonna have everyone going to that class and nothing else. Bottom Line : Dm's idea = bad. [/B]

The point is to have a balanced char, not to do as everquest and D&D do... The difference here, would be that youd have a berserker with massive weaps and ocast skill, almost nil endur, low dodge, heal and other casting mults. Yes, a fair amount of people would take them, just to do massive damage, but they would be extremely vulnerable to anyone able to hit them(easy job). Talk about a Pk target...

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 09-22-2001 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

DM is right. That kind of character would be labeled berserker, and it would have awesome offensive stats, but poor endurance, dodging etc.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 09-23-2001 03:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gandalf
GoblinThief

I like the idea with all the modifiers, but theres just too many skills! I know theres only 4 to pick from but a first timer wont know wth to put what in, and how much etc.. A good rule of thumb is, Keep it simple! Yea, strider is right. DM's idea isnt bad at all..If the fighter had good O casting, than its endurance/dex would suffer alot so it would basically be an attacker. If IS is more team based than trpg was, then a character like that and a tank character would do really well together!

Gandalf is offline Old Post 09-27-2001 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Silvanus
GoblinThief

Possible solutions to the "too complex" complaint could be predefined template settngs that would auto-assign points a certain way and/or an easy to use command for looking up the effects of each modifier. Besides, there'll always be people around to get advice from, and exploring features like that is half the fun. But then again, in that regard, I may just be weird.

Silvanus is offline Old Post 09-27-2001 07:44 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Modifiers = out. Heading system = in. =]

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 09-29-2001 12:37 AM
Silvanus
GoblinThief

Bah. Lame.

Silvanus is offline Old Post 09-29-2001 03:37 AM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Ideally, Id love to be able to distribute my own mults...

Id probably end up with someone with a tad of each casting, awesome slashing, endur, dodge, nil for bludge, pierce, haggle, etc. Very good mining, though.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 09-29-2001 03:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

i always thought about it this way

The person should have to be one with the skill, not the character

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 09-29-2001 07:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

I wish it was slightly like say...CS. Where having awesome skills helps(CS equiv of having a big gun), but enough skills(the person type, not char) balance.(ie, in CS, you can take out a skillless newb with a knife...My favorite way of training newbies to move fast :-)

Prolly do in the healing skill....

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 09-29-2001 08:06 PM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

high level trpg dueling used to really rock

now it really sucks

thanks to healing and dodging

14 hp a sec, thats just flat out gay

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 09-29-2001 08:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

At one point, I had 60 HP per sec healing...I jumped off den, transported back, jumped off, etc, and I was literally healing faster than I took dmg. Obviously, no one would duel me...

Dodging isnt as bad, but Im still not that awfully fond of it, especially when a low lev cant even tough a somewhat higher lev....

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 09-29-2001 09:31 PM
Silvanus
GoblinThief

Solution to bogus stat combinations is simply a forumla that increases point cost for attribute/multipliers/etc. on the other side of the scale, so to speak. Say you're a big, manly, macho warrior. Woo. You want to cast heal? Oh, that's nice.. You're so pumped up in the offensive categories that healnow costs 10 points a level. On the other hand, take the mage. Power of the gods at his fingertips. He's a happy mage.. until he realizes he can't lift a bloody sword. This guy's got godly casting, so when he goes to up something like sword mastery... woo, 10 points a level. Ye see how it works? I thought so. I'm going back to sleep until my stupid sister wakes me up again...

Silvanus is offline Old Post 09-30-2001 02:44 AM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

also if you have any semi high level friends

you can max out piercing, bludge, and slashing in less than an hour...

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 09-30-2001 03:42 AM
Silvanus
GoblinThief

Which brings up a point. Shouldn't there be trainer bots to go to, spread throughout IS? You pay them a certain amount of gold, then you "train" for a bit and up your stats. Iunno. Yeah. It's 4 am. When will I learn to stop looking at the damn board at 4 am?! I'm going to sleep.

Silvanus is offline Old Post 09-30-2001 11:52 AM
-SB-Mais
GoblinThief

What I'm Gonna Try To Do For Rune

This is gonna take a lot of work and probably a lot of work from people like Yoshi as well, but here is what i would like to Happen for stats:

ATK
-Bludge
-Pierce
-Slash
-Archery
-Physical [not implemented yet]
INT
-Ocast
-Dcast
-Ncast
DEX
-Lockpicking
-Smithing/Crafting
-Mining/Chopping
-Thievery
DEF
-Endurance
-Protection (like a armor of yourself...the more you have the less damage)

ATK, INT, DEX, DEF would all have a base modifier of 1.0

Everything below it would be based on class.
EXAMPLE: A Thief would have a .5 pierce and a .1 everything else in ATK.

Every level, along with sp, you would gain a .1 modifier point. This can be spent on any SUB skill to raise it's modifier by .1

So, within about 15 lvls, a thief would just then be getting a 2.0 multi for pierce. (Hard? YES!)

I was thinking mabye something like [ base * sub / 5 = skill ]

So say a thief has 90 piercing and 30 ATK his piercing weapon would do [ 30 * 90 / 5 ] (that equals 540 btw) to an enemy with no defense at all.

It's a complicated system, but I find it rather interesting in ways. I know a lot of you wouldn't agree with it, but I like it, and I'm sure someone else would too.

For everyone who needs something other than TRPG or MR-TRPG, seriously check out yoshis, he has done so much there...and the runts wil kick yer ass =P.

--Paladin
--UniqueRPG
[][][][][][]

-SB-Mais is offline Old Post 09-30-2001 12:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for -SB-Mais Click here to Send -SB-Mais a Private Message Click Here to Email -SB-Mais Visit -SB-Mais's homepage! Find more posts by -SB-Mais Add -SB-Mais to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Silvanus
GoblinThief

Sounds too easy to get uber characters quickly, if you ask me.

Silvanus is offline Old Post 09-30-2001 09:05 PM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

You DO realize that Ironsphere will have no remorting.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 09-30-2001 10:46 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Yeah, money/property will probably take the place of having a pile o' remorts. At least, I hope so... Otherwise, I'll probably have one char with max levs of each class on whatever server I play, and a few misc ones on other servers.

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

Middle Earth, level 5 Admin.

Mystic Demon RPG, level 4 Admin.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 09-30-2001 10:55 PM
Gandalf
GoblinThief

If there are no remorts, I doubt that you will max even one character out without playing for like a year..

In the game 'Lineage' , there is no max level. As you level up, you get experience slower and slower. Once you get to about leevl 45 or 46, you get maybe 10-15 xp a day (out of 100) and then once you hit level 47..you get maybe 3 or 4 a day, and when you hit level 48..you get *maybe* one a day. At level 49, its like leveling from 1 to 48 again. There is one person who is level 50 on the server I play on, and its been up for around a year. Another server, there is a level 52 guy (probably cheated). All Im saying is, if theres no remort than leveling would really really hard at the higher end levels.

Gandalf is offline Old Post 10-01-2001 02:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

There is going to be no remorting. The remorting system plain sucks, to tell you the truth.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 10-01-2001 02:21 AM
-SB-Mais
GoblinThief

Instead?

What are you gonna do instead of remorts? I am curious, it could set the replay facor down a bit...

--Paladin
--UniqueRPG
[][][][][][]

-SB-Mais is offline Old Post 10-01-2001 06:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for -SB-Mais Click here to Send -SB-Mais a Private Message Click Here to Email -SB-Mais Visit -SB-Mais's homepage! Find more posts by -SB-Mais Add -SB-Mais to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-SB-Mais
GoblinThief

quote:
Originally posted by Silvanus
Sounds too easy to get uber characters quickly, if you ask me.

Mabye Uber in normal TRPG, but there will be plenty of new areas to fight...a lvl 200 will be about the time you don't struggle anymore... As for pking issues...I still have to think something up...

--Paladin
--UniqueRPG
[][][][][][]

-SB-Mais is offline Old Post 10-01-2001 06:18 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

PK'ing is part of the game. What can you do about it?

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 04:01 AM
Silvanus
GoblinThief

If PKing is optional, then it's not an issue. Don't want to be PK'd? Don't enable the option.

Silvanus is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 10:21 PM