Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > Skills System for IS (Strider's Idea)
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Someone1237
OgreMagi

its call FUN when a game is hard, from what i think if u play a game thats easy the game sorta sucks, Trpg is medium in hardness, if the EXP system is changed it would be HARD making it so you need more time to get a strong char, take Super Mario World (SNES) it had to be the best game i have ever played, it took me so long to finish it, and becuase of how hard it was i got hooked so i continued to play, then take mario rpg way to easy within 1 hour i was bored, i had already beatin 2 lvls and was lvl 10. so i never played it again. get the difference?

Race: Celt
Class: Druid
Lvl: 13
Money: 1 platinum
Guild: Celtic Shadows
//----------------------//

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Someone1237 is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Someone1237 Click here to Send Someone1237 a Private Message Visit Someone1237's homepage! Find more posts by Someone1237 Add Someone1237 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

If there is ONE thing I learned when I was in advertising, it was that something FUN sells to the masses.

1 skill point to delegate to 4-6? This isn't Diablo...

Let's not change it THAT much...

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Someone1237
OgreMagi

no it isnt diablo is like 1 that can go to 30 skills, so u have around 100 of them total once u get to lvl 99 and each skill maxes at 20 now think of that, and think how big diablo 2 is.

Race: Celt
Class: Druid
Lvl: 13
Money: 1 platinum
Guild: Celtic Shadows
//----------------------//

Someone1237 is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 11:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Someone1237 Click here to Send Someone1237 a Private Message Visit Someone1237's homepage! Find more posts by Someone1237 Add Someone1237 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

O_O 1 SP to 30 skills? *faints*

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-23-2001 07:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

lol

I guess it is posible.Character generation(changeing of multipliers) will be a really cool thing if it can be intigrated.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 08-23-2001 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Auwar
OrcSlayer

yoshiboy ai is pretty impressive

Auwar is offline Old Post 08-24-2001 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Auwar Click here to Send Auwar a Private Message Find more posts by Auwar Add Auwar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

the thing about diablo2 strider, is, that the sp doesnt go into skills like tribesrpg. At lvl 1, you have like 5 skills only to choose from, and their not skills, more then they are spells. there are passive and manual skills too. Also, each characer type has unique skills, like the druid's werebear form and the barbarian's battle cry skill. Some passive skills are the sorceress's warmth skill, which gives her better mana regen. Also note that many items give bonuses to a single type of skill, all skills of a particular class, or all skills of any class. The diablo 2 skills that are similar to tribesrpg are 4 skills: strength, dexterity, vitality, and energy. strength effects how much damage your attacks do. dexterity effects your stamina (how long you can run before you get tired). vitality effects your hp and def. energy effects how much mana you have. Also, all classes use mana, even barbarians. Mana isn't like tribesrpg energy, it's the "life force" needed to use your skills. Also, many items give bonuses to the 4 skills. every level you get, you get 5 skill points for the 4 main skills and 1 point to put in your magic abilities. it's evened out so everything isn't too easy or too hard, except once you pass level 50 In conclusion, If the diablo 2 skill system were used in ironsphere, it would quote "|20X0|2 your world"

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-24-2001 07:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for runtwing Click here to Send runtwing a Private Message Click Here to Email runtwing Find more posts by runtwing Add runtwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

diablo 2 sucked

the only good we could ever get from that game is one thing, every weap is unique

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-24-2001 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Every person I hear talking about Diablo 2 says that it sucks... Not a good choice, if you ask me.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 02:08 AM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

yeah but i actually played it, level 25 barb, level 10 sorc

they said it was addictive, it wasnt

they said it was good, it sucked

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Strider, I played it (d2) and it was ok, but there was one problem. I could kill just about everything in one hit till act 3, and it was still easy then. I got to act 3 in one day, and when I learned that was basically the most time consuming part of the game, I realized that something was seriously wrong... Arent games supposed to be hard?

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

diablo 2 sux, that's true, but the skill system is unique, and if used in tribes2/similar to it in tribes2, it would probably be pretty good

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 06:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for runtwing Click here to Send runtwing a Private Message Click Here to Email runtwing Find more posts by runtwing Add runtwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

The skill system it uses is good for D2.

It would NOT be good in T2RPG.

The games play ENTIRELY differently.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 07:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

d2 also isnt a 'true' rpg

but most of all, i believe a modern day t2rpg would be so much better than a medieval rpg

there are just waaaay to many medieval

a modern day rpg would greatly increase the skill needed to be the best

Plus, a 1000 guns and nades will attract a non rpg fan by about 1000 times before a non rpg fan would be attracted to the mod by 1000 swords

heh you know tribes 2 only has about 1500 more people playing it at a time than tribes 1, that tells you something

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 03:16 PM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
The skill system it uses is good for D2.

It would NOT be good in T2RPG.

The games play ENTIRELY differently.

Do you agree with my skill system, Toast?

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 06:19 PM
Toaster
Master of Toast

quote:
Originally posted by Strider
Logistics is the closest one.

Go figure.

Another thing, would be to shape our own sub-skills (the ones under Strength etc).

Pick skills you want to be proficient with and delegate skill levels to them.

Say you were a Fighter and you wanted to have AWESOME slashing, endurance and magic. BUT, a restriction is placed on Fighters having 2.0 multiplier on magical abilities, at most being .5 to .8 or something.

So, each class gets to delegate 2.0 multipliers on 2 skills only, 1.5 multipliers on 2 skills, 1.0 multipliers on 3 skills and so forth.

Wouldn't that be GREAT? =]

I like this idea, it just needs to be tweaked some.

If I could do this on T1RPG, here's my setup. (assuming after 3 1.0 you would get 4 0.8)

2 bludge
2 ocast
1.5 bash
1.5 energy
1 dodge
1 endur
1 WC
.8 dcast
.8 healing
.8 haggle
.8 mining

That would be an insanly powerful char.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 06:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

str
con
dex
int
wis

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 06:45 PM
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

wouldn't it be 4 .7's or 4 .6's instead? I've seen a lot of .6 multi skills, a couple .7's, but never seen a skill with a .8 multi...

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 07:51 PM
Toaster
Master of Toast

Druid Endurance=.8
Bard WC=.8
Fighter Speech=.8
Paladin Speech=.8
Ranger Healing=.8
Mage Piercing=.8
Mage Archery=.8

It was just an assumption needed for my example anyway.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 08:36 PM
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Ok, if I were the one to make up a skills system, this is how it would go. Its kindof a mix between a lot that I have heard.

First of all, the skills that you could distribute SP to would be:

Strength
Constitution
Dexterity
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma <--this *could* be taken out

The base classes I would use are:

Knight
Elf
Mage
Dwarf
*note: Different version can be added (such as cleric/druid for mage or paladin/fighter for the knight, and each would have its own certain multiplyers for the skills)

Ok, for each skill... Strength would determine how much damage your attacks do, as well as your bash and shove power. Constitution would determine the your HP and the recovery rate of your hp. Dexterity would determine how accurate you are, and could also affect (slightly) your attack speed. Now if you had good dex, Im not saying you would attack really fast..but it would affect it slightly. Intelligence would determine your MP, while wisdom would determine the rate at which it regenerates. For charisma, I was thinking that it could determine how many people that you could have in a party, as well as how well you could tame monsters/pets (which is what Im going to explain next). I dont know how many SP you should get when you start, and how many you should get for each level. I think thats something that you should decide.

Ok, now for the taming monster idea. I think that there should be dogs, or goblins, or *something* that you could tame. It should be able to get stronger, as well as level up. I know you might think its a wierd idea, but I have seen many games with this addition and it makes it alot more fun, as well as a little harder. It gets harder because it takes experience away from you (logically since it attacks what you attack). *note: The tamed pet/monster will ONLY attack what you attack, and can be set for different modes such as defensive and offensive, or stay.

I know this is getting long, so I will end it with this just 2 more ideas, starting with a question. Are there going to be weapons/armors that raise your stats at all? If there arent, there should be. There could be all kinds of things, like ammulets or rings (ie. Ammulet or Ring of dexterity/strength etc...)

Ok, for the last thing. There should be more potions! There are a lot of things that potions could be good for. First of all, a few ideas for potions.

Potion of Emotion: Bravery (blue)
Potion of Emotion: Wisdom (purple)
Potion of Emotion: Intelligence (purple)
Potion of Haste Self (green)
*note that healing potions should be RED and mana potions should be CLEAR

Here are the explinations:

The first potion, the Bravery, should be able to be used by Knights/Paladins only. Mainly what it does is,temporarily increases running and attack speed. Certain monsters should drop them, and they should be fairly expensive. The second 2 potions, Wisdom and Intelligence. These potions would be for magic users only (mage/cleric/druid). These potions temporarily increase the intelligence or wisdom (depending on which potion is used). For the last potion, haste. This potion can be used by any class. Its basically like the bravery, it increases attack and running speed..but it can be used by any and all classes. If a knight uses a bravery, and a haste potion, than he will be twice as fast as a character that is only using a bravery, or only using a green. Knights should have this ability because they are the people who do the close up fighting, and usually take all the hits. Mages will still be able to use greens, but they have the wisdom and intelligence potions to boost their spell/mana power. *note: The potions (other than haste and bravery) will NOT be accumulative.

This is getting really long, so just tell me what you think! I dont mind being told that something is dumb, but dont over do it

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-25-2001 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Well thought out, Gandalf........

Potion of Emotion... Nice ring... but kinda sappy, you know? =]

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-26-2001 12:38 AM
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Well, I kinda made the name up on the spot..hehe! I dont care what the name is, as long as it helps!

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-26-2001 03:55 AM
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Also, another idea I was thinking of is something called an ROTC

ROTC = Ring of Teleport Control

This is something that knights, or classes than dont have the best neutral casting. Its basically a way to teleport around, without having to have a lot of neutral SP. It might seem like a unfair advantage for knights, but this item is EXTREMELY rare. Its from another game called Lineage. In that game, its basically the most expensive and most rare item in the game. In lineage, the mages cant teleport wherever they want, and neither can any other class. There is a person in every town that you can go to, and pay them to teleport you to a nearby town. You cant tele all the way across the map, so you have to teleport to one town, and then another, and maybe another to get to where you want to go.

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-26-2001 07:51 PM
Magical_Mongoos
GoblinWizard

Nah, strength should be used be for weapons, ability to pick up large objects, break down doors, that type of thing. Almost exactly like AD&D. In AD&D, your skills can't go higher than 18, with only a certain # of skill points you can distribute amongst strength, dexterity, charisma, intelligence, endurance, and wisdom. Basically dexterity is speed, and being very "dexterous" with your hands (essential skill for stealing). Charisma is leadership skill, the ability to "pursuade" people by your looks, and is essential for a paladin, or any other person that is of "high order". Intelligence is spell casting, and the ability to resist "temptations". Endurance is like spell resistance, poison resistance, and hit-points. And last but not least, wisdom. Monks and other forms of classes that require high concentration (such as healers) need this skill...
If it was like the AD&D system, it would be pretty easy to set up a character if you picked your race (certain races would get bonuses in certain skills), picked your class, and had 60 or so points that you could put into your character, the max. being 18 for a skill.
For a fighter, it would look like this:
Strength: 16
Intelligence:8
Dexterity:12
Charisma:8
Endurance:10
Wisdom:6
Then following AD&D stuff, you would be given items that are given to you randomly depending on your class (such as you would only get items that your class type could use).
I only played AD&D 2 times, so I don't know much about it. Maybe some of you losers could help.

Magical_Mongoos is offline Old Post 08-27-2001 03:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Magical_Mongoos Click here to Send Magical_Mongoos a Private Message Click Here to Email Magical_Mongoos Find more posts by Magical_Mongoos Add Magical_Mongoos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

For a newbie, you sure are assertive.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-27-2001 03:24 AM
Mog
TravellerPaladin

quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf
Also, another idea I was thinking of is something called an ROTC

ROTC = Ring of Teleport Control

Psssh.. ROTC = Reserve Officer Training Corps

[img]http://www.flagline.com/images/us-flag-flying.jpg[/img]
And God bless America!

Mog is offline Old Post 08-27-2001 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mog Click here to Send Mog a Private Message Click Here to Email Mog Find more posts by Mog Add Mog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

quit acting like such geeks

first off, most of the rpg geeks are gonna play pay to play games

trpg will only get the cheap geeks

then cause its only a mod, it will get less people

since T2 only has about 2500 playing at a time, compared to tribes 1500, trpg cant expect to get tons more players

and since a lot of trpg players dont have the machine or money to get t2, quite a bit of the current trpg community is gonna go bye bye

So instead of trying to make it ultra geeky, just make it fun

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-27-2001 04:04 AM
Toaster
Master of Toast

quote:
Originally posted by Magical_Mongoos
Nah, strength should be used be for weapons, ability to pick up large objects, break down doors, that type of thing. Almost exactly like AD&D. In AD&D, your skills can't go higher than 18, with only a certain # of skill points you can distribute amongst strength, dexterity, charisma, intelligence, endurance, and wisdom. Basically dexterity is speed, and being very "dexterous" with your hands (essential skill for stealing). Charisma is leadership skill, the ability to "pursuade" people by your looks, and is essential for a paladin, or any other person that is of "high order". Intelligence is spell casting, and the ability to resist "temptations". Endurance is like spell resistance, poison resistance, and hit-points. And last but not least, wisdom. Monks and other forms of classes that require high concentration (such as healers) need this skill...
If it was like the AD&D system, it would be pretty easy to set up a character if you picked your race (certain races would get bonuses in certain skills), picked your class, and had 60 or so points that you could put into your character, the max. being 18 for a skill.
For a fighter, it would look like this:
Strength: 16
Intelligence:8
Dexterity:12
Charisma:8
Endurance:10
Wisdom:6
Then following AD&D stuff, you would be given items that are given to you randomly depending on your class (such as you would only get items that your class type could use).
I only played AD&D 2 times, so I don't know much about it. Maybe some of you losers could help.

JI once said, "fuck AD&D and its bullshi
t"

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 08-27-2001 03:48 PM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Agreed.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-27-2001 04:06 PM
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

ya...AD&D sucks uber(censored). Every character is almost exaclt the same when at the same level, cept for maybe 1 point in something.
variety=g d

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-28-2001 12:04 AM