Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > Skills System for IS (Strider's Idea)
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

actually i liked trpg more without classes and without the huge skill system

Str, dex, con, int, and wis is all we really need

healing needs to go without a doubt

and dodge needs to be toned down greatly, because i can hit a guy 50 times, but only actually damage him 5 times

i think thats alot of bull****

and strider if wanna you test this dodging theory in real life lets see if i dont ****in chop off your head on the first try

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-18-2001 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TangWei
OrcSlayer

Look at it this way Stider.. It would be similar to what goes on now. When JI and buds, or anyone else for that matter designs a class they usually balance out the Multies. Aka Fighter having 2.0 on slashing, but only .1 on magic. But if you take all the classes and average them out, they still all have the same amount of multipiers. So lets say you start off with a total of 10 points for the Granted you can put them all in slashing, but your other stuff is going to be weak. Kinda like Death is saying, yea he would have a killer char, but one cast of thorn on his ass, and he is laying down crying for mamma. I think that the best chars would be one that are balanced out between the skills. 'cause no matter how many muli points you put into one skill, you are still going to be sucking hind tit on the others. Look at weight capacity. Something we all take for granted now, but when you got someone who forgets about it when they are designing there char, then they are at most going to be able to carry maybe a padded armor. So you would hear this huge "AAHHHH I FORGOT!!!"

Moral of the story, being able to build your own char would take a little more thought than just throwing everything into skill.

Ok, next thought. Also included in the menu process, what about pre defined chars. So that way a newbie wouldn't scream and yell about where he should put things, he could just pick one, but have the custom command to make one for scratch.

I think being able to give your self a title would be cool, but what happens when I say #mytitle ****ing peice of horse ****? How could that be controled?

Ok, now next thought (Man this is getting long) Instead of lvls, have ages. After every 1000 exp you age a year or a month. You also get a certain amount of sp and maybe .1 points of multi. Now say you get to 100, then old age kicks in and you start losing sp out of random places. Now all this would take place of a real time year. By then most people start new chars anyways. This would just add a twist to it. Say start you char at age 15 or so. And Strider could make a cool little story line. Maybe make one for each "class" So if most of your stuff when into fighter catagories then you would get a fighter story line. Same for the rest like merchant, smith, thief, ect. And have a newbie quest to start off with. That way it would teach the n00bs how to play, instead of just having to go to the mine and figure it out for themselves.

Got more but have to go back to work. Sorry for the length of this, I kinda got carried away.

Later

TangWei is offline Old Post 08-19-2001 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TangWei Click here to Send TangWei a Private Message Click Here to Email TangWei Find more posts by TangWei Add TangWei to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

I think that my system is 20 times easier then the current one...

You have too many skills, and now people want MORE skills...

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-19-2001 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

quote:
Originally posted by PaladinPimp
actually i liked trpg more without classes and without the huge skill system

Str, dex, con, int, and wis is all we really need

healing needs to go without a doubt

and dodge needs to be toned down greatly, because i can hit a guy 50 times, but only actually damage him 5 times

i think thats alot of bull****

and strider if wanna you test this dodging theory in real life lets see if i dont ****in chop off your head on the first try

That would be boring... Everytime you fight a superior monster, you'd die right away.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-19-2001 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TangWei
OrcSlayer

I kinda had what your idea was in mind when I was writing that Strider. Lets say you have a catigory and underneith there is 4 skills. Well everytime you level you get a bounus to all catagorys. So that one catagory that has four subskills would break that bonus into 4. Now depending on what your multi is for that skill thats what would be added. Plus get like 5 more to put where you want. Either in a skill group, or a certain skill. Kinda make things easier or harder depeing on if you wanna take control or just do it automaticly

Later.

TangWei is offline Old Post 08-19-2001 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TangWei Click here to Send TangWei a Private Message Click Here to Email TangWei Find more posts by TangWei Add TangWei to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

no strider, that would force the player to actually have a bit o skill

it would teach them to do other stuff than just walk up to the enemy and swing

THAT, is boring

just because this is a rpg doesnt mean you need to make the game so you dont need any skills to play

plus, you wouldnt miss the enemy as much either, so it balances out

and i cant say that your everyone wants more skills comment

cause bout everyone that played the old ver, with str and dex, says that, that skill system is better

We should be rewarding skill, not the most time played, and to top it all of, very few of you are understanding that concept

someone like me that only has the weekends to play trpg, can't make some big super char, but some fool that is flunkin out of school that plays 6 hours on weekdays, and 10 hours on weekends, gets the super mega char

the smartest and most skilled should get all the goodies, not those who have no social life with the most time

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-19-2001 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TangWei
OrcSlayer

I agree, that's why I'm saying make it harder to set you char up. The person who has thought out there stats will be the better char.

TangWei is offline Old Post 08-19-2001 02:53 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

You're gonna love the new bots in IS...

Given proper programming, they will make TRPG monsters look like retards. =]

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-19-2001 03:39 AM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

yeah but still, i'd so much rather fight a human than a bot

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-19-2001 05:11 AM
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Much rather fight humans? Unless you did the arena, or something like that than fighting humans is a REALLY bad idea. First of all, It would be even harder to start a new character. The first people that starting playing would be the strongest and stay the strongest. Ok, now for another idea.

I have an idea about dying. I think that a good system would be this: If you died, and you were above level 5 (or whatever you want) you should lose experience, and drop one thing *at random*. I know if you died in real life, you wouldnt just drop one thing..but you wouldnt respawn would you? This idea comes from the game 'Lineage'. Also, another thing...I think that there should be something that newbies could kill at low levels that didnt actually fight back..like deer or something. That way, you could actually level a few times on your own. As it is in trpg right now, if you dont put a substantial amount of SP in a fighting skill (ie. Slashing) than you cant even hit a goblinrunt at level 1, without having someone there to protect you from goblintheives. Something that would solve this is Striders idea about the skills system! But thats for IS, and not trpg... Anyways, I take it that trpg isnt going to have any more *offical* updates? *sigh*..

People like me that cant run t2 that well have it bad

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-20-2001 10:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

the drop a thing over lvl 5 is in redmoon (not chees). at lvl 5 you drop 1 thing. at lvl 10 you drop 2 things, etc. and every time, no mater what lvl, you loose half of your current exp. (not levels, just the current exp you have, so if you had 800, you would be reduced to 400).

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-20-2001 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for runtwing Click here to Send runtwing a Private Message Click Here to Email runtwing Find more posts by runtwing Add runtwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

gandalf, just dont speak, you dont know what i mean by fighting humans

but ji did have the idea of no bots and all humans awhile back

that would work out, you would just have to hunt the higher levels in packs

the smartest and most skilled would also beat the person with the most time in that way also

luck is good enough, infact there should be no luck, you should just lose everything

TRPG needs to be harder all the way around, not just the bots

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-21-2001 04:19 AM
Toaster
Master of Toast

quote:
Originally posted by PaladinPimp
TRPG needs to be harder all the way around, not just the bots

I agree. These days, it just seems easy. Rebalancing the weapons and armors was a good way to start.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 08-21-2001 05:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Personally, I like the SpoonBot programming... They hide and jump and attack and retreat... really ingenius stuff.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-21-2001 05:53 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

quote:
Originally posted by Strider
Personally, I like the SpoonBot programming... They hide and jump and attack and retreat... really ingenius stuff.
I've spent unholy amounts of time tinkering with those things. Try starting spoonbot w football mod! rather entertaining....

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-21-2001 06:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

O_o

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-21-2001 08:10 PM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

it'd be nice if trpg had a really good ai coder, ji is already bogged down with enough stuff

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 08-21-2001 09:17 PM
Mog
TravellerPaladin

quote:

they will make TRPG monsters look like retards. =]

they already look like retards

*watches another paladin fall off den* ..... mhmm..

[img]http://www.flagline.com/images/us-flag-flying.jpg[/img]
And God bless America!

Mog is offline Old Post 08-21-2001 09:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mog Click here to Send Mog a Private Message Click Here to Email Mog Find more posts by Mog Add Mog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

LOL!

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 03:56 PM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

Thumbs up umm.

This only proves me and strider have the same mind. I posted the same idea(exept delegating multipliers) in the privite forum on the original doc threads. Its finnally nice to see one of my ideas being picked apart instead of ignored. Proof is there just bury through the doc treads.

So. I wholeheartedly agree with you Strider.
--Part of my original Idea--
But also if you wish you should be allowed to increase a particular subskill. Clicking on the major skill will improve all that is underneath but clicking on the sub skill will increase that skill more than if you just clicked on the main skill. The main menu will only show the main skills. Clicking on a button next to the main skill will display the subskills. This way a newbie won't have to mess with the sub-skills and yet an experienced player can build up stats in areas he sees fit.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 04:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

And clicking on a subskill takes only a .5 of an skill point, whereas clicking on a skill heading takes a full one... I like that! (menu will have to be coded though...)

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 06:26 PM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

quote:
And clicking on a subskill takes only a .5 of an skill point, whereas clicking on a skill heading takes a full one... I like that! (menu will have to be coded though...)

Course, the above is just an idea... =]

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 06:27 PM
Someone1237
OgreMagi

i think it should be diablo type skill
1 sp per lvl
5 of those other main skill points per lvl for:
Strength
Dexterity
Vitality
Energy

i think there should also be a added energy thing, one Health one Mana one stamina, the more you walk the more it goes down, i dont think anyone here can run at around 3 miles per hour from keldrin to ethren under water? this will make them have to stop, they can wait it will go up slow or sleep in a tent and it will go up fast. Also each class should have its own skills including the main one, say for a mage a choice from 3 different types of spells Ice Fire Lightning and they would and from there another menu comes up, that has all the spells they can put the sp into a skill like for ice icestorm and continue to raise it, they might be lvl 1 and could save or use it in a skill for lvl 1 then once it gets to lvl 5 new skills will be avalable and so on, just like diablo the 5 skill points for the 4 major skills will have to be used wisly and the 1 skill point to invest in a skill like fire magic/flame or something would have to be used with alot of thought making it so the person just cant put 1 into a unkown becuase they have 9 extra they only have 1 per lvl and they have to make a good choice. Also i think a new exp system should be made and maybe take out remort making the highest lvl 999

Race: Celt
Class: Druid
Lvl: 13
Money: 1 platinum
Guild: Celtic Shadows
//----------------------//

Someone1237 is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 08:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Someone1237 Click here to Send Someone1237 a Private Message Visit Someone1237's homepage! Find more posts by Someone1237 Add Someone1237 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

1 SP per level?

Go jump off a cliff!

We don't want to COMPLETELY change it.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 08:10 PM
Someone1237
OgreMagi

that would rock! it would make it so hard and fun! think of it a newbie puts it into a skill he/she is very weak in they just made a mistake and u have to think as if it were like diablo i putone skill point into golem mastery my golems go up 50 HP and 5 ATK!

Someone1237 is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 08:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Someone1237 Click here to Send Someone1237 a Private Message Visit Someone1237's homepage! Find more posts by Someone1237 Add Someone1237 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Someone1237
OgreMagi

oh yeah and if you read 1 SP for subskills like Firemagic and stuff (class spacific, fighter Weapon skills warcrys weapon masteries, Mage firemagic icemagic lightningmagic) and that one skill point will greatly upgrade you then u have 5 different ones for your main skills DEX STN ENR INT

Someone1237 is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 08:16 PM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

I suppose we can get lengthy.

you could have a subskill for each subskill for the main skills.
That way you can increase fire elemental magic without
--just useing T1rpg for the examples.
increasing the others. (ex fireball, firebomb, etc)
Direct magic (thorn, icespike, beam)

TridentRX is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 08:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Keep it simple stupid.

Goldy is so wise. =]

Ok, everyone wants it to be EASIER. Why do you want it to be harder, Someone?

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 08:26 PM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

we could do both.

you see strider we can make it easy and hard at the same time. We don't require people to mess with the subskills but It is an option. You see Handleing an axe and handleing a sword are different and dont deserve to be the same skill.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 08:32 PM
Mog
TravellerPaladin

Poke, nudge, trip, smack, and thwack.. mm.. much things to do with staves..

[img]http://www.flagline.com/images/us-flag-flying.jpg[/img]
And God bless America!

Mog is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 08:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mog Click here to Send Mog a Private Message Click Here to Email Mog Find more posts by Mog Add Mog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote