Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > Skills System for IS (Strider's Idea)
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Gandalf
GoblinThief

Skills System for IS (Strider's Idea)

quote:
Originally posted by Strider

My skills system has changed and remained the same. It only contains a small set of skills to delegate skill points to, but the names have changed. Ok, the main skill is in brackets, and you can put SP in that skill, gaining some skill in sub-skills (some can be stronger, depending on class). Say you were a fighter with OK piercing and excellent slashing. Delegating points to Strength would make BOTH skills go up. Thus, you can be somewhat good in piercing as a fighter, but your main strength will still be slashing.

The subskills here are just ideas. Someone ICQ JI and tell him about this thread, because I don't have ICQ.

[Intelligence] - Sub-skills = Mental things, such as magic and speech, haggling etc.
[Strength] - Sub-skills = Physical weapons skills, such as Slashing and Piercing. There could even be a # skill (like #cast) that comes with having a certain amount of Strength. Endurance too. Bashing included. (Strength will likely be the top pick for a Fighter, while a Mage would opt for Intelligence). BlackSmithing.
[Dexterity] - Sub-skills = Lockpicking, smithing (different from blacksmithing, smithing is more like making a new crossbow... inventing and such) etc.
[Speed] - Sub-skills = Speed, Dodging, Hiding and Backstabbing etc.

[No Longer Used] - Oops, what is this doing here?

Anyway... This is a good system, and a lot of RPG's are smart in using it. We could even eliminate SP altogether, and make each main skill go up automatically every level up. (Levelling up is harder with JI's new system, so I don't know the practicality of this)

If we had a system like that, and I wanted to be... a Merchant (gaining EXP from smithing and stuff). I would invest SP in Intelligence and Dexterity, perhaps a little Strength if I wanted to have some blacksmithing skill. Now here comes a tricky part.. You say: 'How would a Merchant know magic?' Like I said earlier, you could turn down the skill to nearly zero, and the best the Merchant could ever know is the I.S equivalent of thorn.

I think that would be an EXCELLENT idea. It would simplify things tremendously, and supply the same/better results than other systems. Hes right, if we have like 10 sp per level and have 50 skills to distribute them to, than it would be very slow at early levels. Nice Work strider!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

side note: keep str and weapon skill separate. so we can have some small man who is a master of the sword, still more powerful than an ogre who cant move his club real deftly.

mrtrpg.cjb.net - homepage for the Mythical Realms mod of TRPG

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Thanks Gandalf!

You're a good guy, I was looking for that. =]

Hmm, I guess Strength would be more of Endurance, breaking down doors and blacksmithing sort of thing.

We'll have to have an appropriately named skill for weaponry.

It has to be a single word for weaponry skill.

Thesaurus time!

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gandalf
GoblinThief

np! glad to do it, I mean after all..its a really good idea.

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

weaponhandling. Remember? It's what is now....no longer used.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 10:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Logistics is the closest one.

Go figure.

Another thing, would be to shape our own sub-skills (the ones under Strength etc).

Pick skills you want to be proficient with and delegate skill levels to them.

Say you were a Fighter and you wanted to have AWESOME slashing, endurance and magic. BUT, a restriction is placed on Fighters having 2.0 multiplier on magical abilities, at most being .5 to .8 or something.

So, each class gets to delegate 2.0 multipliers on 2 skills only, 1.5 multipliers on 2 skills, 1.0 multipliers on 3 skills and so forth.

Wouldn't that be GREAT? =]

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Yeah, but it's too long, DM. Try coding that without going crazy.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 11:03 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

quote:
Originally posted by Strider

So, each class gets to delegate 2.0 multipliers on 2 skills only, 1.5 multipliers on 2 skills, 1.0 multipliers on 3 skills and so forth.

Wouldn't that be GREAT? =]

Or better yet, give everyone a .1 mult in all stats. Let them alot the rest of the mult points in .1 increments. That would rock!

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-14-2001 11:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gandalf
GoblinThief

lol, level 99 cleric with like 50 in def cast

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-15-2001 03:00 AM
Gandalf
GoblinThief

also, about the 2.0 on 2 skills, and so forth. Wouldnt that kinda rule out the point of picking a class? I mean you could have the stats of a mage with a fighter. Its a good idea, but it would eliminate the factor or choosing a class

EDIT: Oh, I overlooked what you said about having a restriction for that, sorry =/

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-15-2001 03:02 AM
Gandalf
GoblinThief

test...

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-15-2001 03:22 AM
Gandalf
GoblinThief

nuther test....

Gandalf is offline Old Post 08-16-2001 03:02 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Eventually, there will be Orc and Human Races, with appropriately named classes and sub classes (Human Fighter = Orc Warrior and so forth).

I propose that Orcs be stupider and slower but very strong, while Humans are smarter and quicker, but not as naturally strong.

Thus, Humans would get better Intelligence and Dexterity, while Orcs would get a major bonus to Strength (and perhaps another main skill.. although I can't think of one at the moment).

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-16-2001 04:14 AM
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

Maybe do what DM was saying and have all base .1s.. and you can add what you want to what you want at the beginning of your char, say, you have 4-5 full points to distribute. Then, using some code, just have the server analyze what your stronger stats are and give you a title based on that? if you put everything into slashing and endurance, you're a fighter, energy and o casting? mage. energy and d casting? cleric.

that kinda thing.. that way it would really be more like individual people creating their own roles then player filling preassigned roles.. i guess..

Aleman is offline Old Post 08-16-2001 04:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aleman Click here to Send Aleman a Private Message Click Here to Email Aleman Find more posts by Aleman Add Aleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

what would it say if I put everything into weight capicity and spell resistance? point: there would be too many combos

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-16-2001 05:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for runtwing Click here to Send runtwing a Private Message Click Here to Email runtwing Find more posts by runtwing Add runtwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

Maybe if it only checked a certain few stats. You would be a Human Citizen or an Orc Citizen if you had no hard hitting stats in the main categories.. IE weapon skills, endurance, energy, spellcasting, and stealing

Aleman is offline Old Post 08-16-2001 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aleman Click here to Send Aleman a Private Message Click Here to Email Aleman Find more posts by Aleman Add Aleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

I know this would be hard, but you could make a class for every pair of main stats. There would of course be the normal combos, but if made the 2 main skills mining and weight capicity you would be a miner. If you put em into spell resistance and endurance you would be a grunt (as in you can live through a lot). If you put em into dodging and hiding you would be a ninja. The list goes on. Also, instead of putting .1 into your skills to determine what you would be, when you choose your character, it would say "choose 2/whatever the number skills you will major in. It would show a list of skills as if you were putting sp in it, and when you choose 1, it would be removed from the list. When you chose your 2 main skills, it would tell you your new class, and would continue through and ask you for 3 skills to have 1.5 in, etc. That way you wouldn't have to sit there putting .1 into a skill

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-16-2001 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for runtwing Click here to Send runtwing a Private Message Click Here to Email runtwing Find more posts by runtwing Add runtwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

But I want to sit there and jack certain skills up. Some skills. such as speech, I'd happily leave at .1

I suggest that it run through all your stats, and give you a classname based on your highest stat.

Ninja for dodging, Thief for stealing, Miner for mining, Politician for Speech, fighter for slashing, soldier for bludg, Traveller for WC, Giant for endur, that sorta thing. Change names as you want....

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-17-2001 04:08 PM
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

Well......

If Orcs are going to be a Chooseable race (God TRPG is starting to sound like a 3d warcraft ) Strider is right. Orc's intelligence according to the 2nd Edition AD&D Humanoids Guide can be a make of i believe 13. Humans can grow to be as intelligent as they want. Orc's can have a max strength of 25, while humans can only go to 21 or 22. If your going to make orc alot stupider than 13, then i suggest raising there strength a bit more over max (26 or 27 tops). im not saying to go by a AD&D scale, it just made life easier to use this analogy.

As for striders new skill system idea, i only skimmed through it, but from what i read, it both looks and sounds promising.

Video Being Fixed
Whoever b0rked my sig, don't56k'ers, don't try ^_^ | no more plugin dl!

Cloud is offline Old Post 08-17-2001 04:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runtwing
TravellerPaladin

who is gonna bother to be a politician? Ther needs to be more use for speech. an example is to use it in conjunction with magic spells. Cirtain spells need to be recited, which you can only do with the required parchment and speech. maybe cirtain bots can't be understood by players until they raise their speech (high quest bots equivilant to arkemn). Also, you could #taunt a bot, and the higher your speech, the higher the chance it runs away scared. 2 cents

runtwing is offline Old Post 08-17-2001 08:06 PM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

I wanna be a politician. =]

Give it a UO type feel. =]

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-17-2001 09:00 PM
Boxbanger
GnollShaman

Cool my 2 coins

As long as classes cant use other classes stuff (ie paladin casting dinemsionrift, mage wearing fullplatearmor) I am fine. Cause there really arnt any "classes" in TRPG. Everyone ends up with the same stuff. In T2RPG I hope that even at remort lvl 100 lvl 200 or what ever the max lvl is,that classes CANNOT use other classes stuff. Well mabye a merchant could use thorn, but not icestorm. And sure mabye a mage could wear leather/hide, but not any of the mail's or plate's.

on a small personal preference: Diversity of Magic... we need lots...

Priest 1
Rouge 2
Fighter 3
Wizard 4

Wizard:
Mage 1 (has all spell types but cant get the high/uber lvl's of any)
Sorcerer 2 (Elemental Spells)
Wizard 3 (ONLY has Offensive spells, effects {like invis}, and Teleports. At HIGH lvl's has HUGE DMG DD/DoT/AE spells, like any powerful wizard should have.)
Druid 4 (Shape Shifting {Mimic}, Elements)
Necromancer 5 (curses, DoT, HP/MP transfer spells) (not as important as sorcerer, wizard, and druid)

Summoning could go for necro and mabye druid but I dont really mind.

Boxbanger is offline Old Post 08-17-2001 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Boxbanger Click here to Send Boxbanger a Private Message Click Here to Email Boxbanger Find more posts by Boxbanger Add Boxbanger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

My ideal character....lousy def, econ stats. Massive attack, ocast. I mean massive. I like doing loads of damage, in all ways. If this means I die easially, oh well.....

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

Middle Earth, level 5 Admin.

Mystic Demon RPG, level 4 Admin.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-17-2001 10:32 PM
Mog
TravellerPaladin

Why the hell do people always want a good attacker with good ocast? it DOESNT HAPPEN! Lets not try to stray from the"Fighters arent good at magic, Mages arent good at weapons" base. Goes against common rpg ideas. Fighters use strength and weapon skills to get them through. Mages us intelligence and their magicks. If you do create a class like that, your gonna have everyone going to that class and nothing else. Bottom Line : Dm's idea = bad.

[img]http://www.flagline.com/images/us-flag-flying.jpg[/img]
And God bless America!

Mog is offline Old Post 08-17-2001 11:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mog Click here to Send Mog a Private Message Click Here to Email Mog Find more posts by Mog Add Mog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TangWei
OrcSlayer

Alright here's my little thought on the subject. What if there where no classes? I mean granted this is a Role-playing game, but one of the coolest things is keeping it in line with "real" life. I don't walk down the street and see a guy with "business man" written above him. I assume he is one by the way he is dressed. And the better dressed he is the more sucsesful I assume he is. Now by now most of us can name the different armors/weapons by sight. What if instead of hitting Tab, and seeing what level/class a person is, we would have to tell by the type/quallity of his dress. And in the Tab menu just his name and ping rate. That's it. This would had a twist to the open pking thing. You go and try to kill some noobie who is just wearing a a shirt and breaches, and he turns out to be some uber guy just mining, but having his claymore with him, and he whoops your ass. Kinda make people somewhat hessitant in the pking thing. Also I think that it would add a uniqness to the game. Instead of being told "You are a Human Paladin" you could balance it out to be a lot of different things. (Of course you would have to be either a human, or an orc.)

I agree with being able to create your own charactor, and putting the modifiers where you want them. It would take some thought, but it would be easy to be able to balance it out so you don't have an Uber class to contened with. You want to be both a mage and a fighter? Well then you will have lower skillz than someone who concented on just one. Now I've just mentioned the two main ones, but you could potentialy be just a smith with medicor fighting skills.

Now to differentiate from the training skills, have min skill levels for armor/weapons. "You wanna a Katana good sir? Well that will need 250 slashing 100 peircing and 95 in speed. What!? you don't have the stats? I'm sorry then sir you are not skilled enough the buy this weapon" You get the point.

Same with the other Weapons/armor. Cool part is that as you progress you could potentially get something that you couldn't get before that might have belonged to another "class" (Didn't want to use that word, but couldn't think of another one.) But that weapon/armor would be at a lower level than someone that got that item earlier. So basicly it would be just for fun.

Also I think that we should be able to buy a Cloak. This would be a non-descript armor (Kinda like the robes in TRPG) This would keep people guessing what you are. Are you the Famous Tangwei, Dragon killer extrotenar? Or Tangwei, the n00b right off the boat. Give some protection to the newbies out there, and add a little RPG Storyteller twist. You could be the Dark Mystirous Hero, or the Thief trying to bluff his way into the Warriors Den. Cool part is that you could have a Keldrinte Armor equiped underneith, or a padded armor. No one could tell. Or you could be a mage... ect.

Just my thoughts, I'll be adding more later.

TangWei is offline Old Post 08-18-2001 02:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TangWei Click here to Send TangWei a Private Message Click Here to Email TangWei Find more posts by TangWei Add TangWei to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

My point is, to get a char with good attack stats on pretty much everything, Id happily sacrifice everything else, like ability to make money, as well as endur.

(My current char is pretty much a casting fighter, though)

I suggest that we havve to #getinfo a person to get the stats...and that it simply con red, yellow or green.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-18-2001 02:46 PM
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

Tang thats a great idea - I think another great way to do that would have it be user defined - like - you could choose your OWN title. #settitle Lord #settitle Citizen - and since it would only change a small piece of text, there wouldn't be any game balance changes, but it would allow for a different type of communication/orginization.

Aleman is offline Old Post 08-18-2001 07:36 PM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

I still think that having an Uber class would be too easy with setting your own multipliers with no classes.

You NEED the AD&D skill concept, and you NEED the RPG class system to have a managable, fun, excellent game.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 08-18-2001 08:37 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Perhaps, we give them a choice? Either they pick a predefined class, or distribute the mults, but take a slight hit(to prevent uber chars)

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 08-18-2001 08:47 PM
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

even if you distribute you would still have an upper ceiling..

Aleman is offline Old Post 08-18-2001 09:47 PM