Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Main > TribesRPG Discussion > A Question Of Server Specs -Server Owners Read Please-
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TheMatt2000
UndeadSkeleton

Question A Question Of Server Specs -Server Owners Read Please-

Ok:

The title says it all. What would good specs be for a server... I need some math.

So would it be safe to say that an ADSL connection, pretty good network card, 256mb memory, and a 1ghz proccessor would be good for 6-8 players? What would be good for 10-12?

Matty

Level:1337... What else? 8)
Admin:Owner. Quest-Guy. 'Nuff said.
Server:Divine Mythical Realms
Misc:Creator and Co-Owner of DMR.
Divine Mythical Realms Forum and Docs

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TheMatt2000 is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 05:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheMatt2000 Click here to Send TheMatt2000 a Private Message Click Here to Email TheMatt2000 Visit TheMatt2000's homepage! Find more posts by TheMatt2000 Add TheMatt2000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

pssst: Mattster, if we are gonna do this, we are considering a T1 line. Discussion to ensue today..

GoldenFlight

Level:90
Remort:1
Class:Necro/Death Minion
Race:Elf
House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Psstt - Goldy, if you make a server I might start playing again!

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 06:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

psst. make it MR.

edit:

my computer is on time warner road runner, 256 ram, 800 mhz. i can host about 11 people before lag. 9 if im running icq and winamp.

mrtrpg.cjb.net - homepage for the Mythical Realms mod of TRPG

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 06:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

psst: Zel, that was the plan!

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 06:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

My server was a 650 P3 256 PC100 RAM 20 GB Windows 2000 (A must!) Cable connection. Upload about 35 Kilobytes per sec. I could host about 12 before lag. Then @Home started ****ing my connection and I had to take it down for now...

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SolarRPG Click here to Send SolarRPG a Private Message Find more posts by SolarRPG Add SolarRPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheRealCrash
TravellerKnight

Yum.... T1....
Solar, I think you need to go shoot @home's office up and then get a new ISP.

TheRealCrash is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 07:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealCrash Click here to Send TheRealCrash a Private Message Click Here to Email TheRealCrash Find more posts by TheRealCrash Add TheRealCrash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

psst, make it extended TRPG...Binkers style.

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

Middle Earth, level 5 Admin.

Mystic Demon RPG, level 4 Admin.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 07:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Actually we LOVE Homer's special touches and the MR mod...

It would be cool to run in parallel...to help offset the amount of folks playing since it's getting full a lot. (That's a pretty big compliment to server and mod.)

On the other hand, I've been kicking around the idea of using some of the elements from the Divinity Stories we've been helping with. Sort of bring some of it to life. Strider, comments on that please. Is that a no-no? Would you come and play that?

We're thinking of blending MR with Divinity.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 08:08 PM
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

quote:
Originally posted by TheRealCrash
Yum.... T1....
Solar, I think you need to go shoot @home's office up and then get a new ISP.

DSL is only other one In my area and I have to buy a 200$ modem and I dont have 200$! =[

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 10-06-2001 08:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SolarRPG Click here to Send SolarRPG a Private Message Find more posts by SolarRPG Add SolarRPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gandalf
GoblinThief

One question! To Flight, if this server IS hosted, where exactly would it be located? *prays for eastcoast*

To Solar, I had @home for a while and loved it. About 4 weeks ago, I started getting PL in servers at night. After 3 days, I had 50+ PL in EVERY server from about 8 PM till the next morning. I got really pissed, and got DSL. My DSL (bellsouth) d/l at 800+Kbs and uploads at 200+ Kbs (capped at 250). I, honestly, didnt expect the upload to be so high! I went and tested it, and it said 200...I just about fell out of my chair! I didnt realize DSL got that good of an u/l rate. To get to the point, do whatever you can to get rid of @home and get that DSL

Gandalf is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gandalf Click here to Send Gandalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Gandalf Find more posts by Gandalf Add Gandalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

South California, if memory serves....(an iffy thing with me..)

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 03:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Northern CA...good memory DM!

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 03:24 AM
Mog
TravellerPaladin

quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf
One question! To Flight, if this server IS hosted, where exactly would it be located? *prays for eastcoast*

To Solar, I had @home for a while and loved it. About 4 weeks ago, I started getting PL in servers at night. After 3 days, I had 50+ PL in EVERY server from about 8 PM till the next morning. I got really pissed, and got DSL. My DSL (bellsouth) d/l at 800+Kbs and uploads at 200+ Kbs (capped at 250). I, honestly, didnt expect the upload to be so high! I went and tested it, and it said 200...I just about fell out of my chair! I didnt realize DSL got that good of an u/l rate. To get to the point, do whatever you can to get rid of @home and get that DSL

Lol.. i have @ home.. and my uploads are faster..

I would also like to join whomever is gonna kill @home. Their techies dont know jack and im tired of their poor support.

[img]http://www.flagline.com/images/us-flag-flying.jpg[/img]
And God bless America!

Mog is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mog Click here to Send Mog a Private Message Click Here to Email Mog Find more posts by Mog Add Mog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheRealCrash
TravellerKnight

Solar you make it sounds hard to get $200. Steal money, borrow, get a job. Pick one, they all will get it.

TheRealCrash is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 03:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealCrash Click here to Send TheRealCrash a Private Message Click Here to Email TheRealCrash Find more posts by TheRealCrash Add TheRealCrash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheMatt2000
UndeadSkeleton

I NEED AN ANSWER TO A QUESTION:

What is the optimal memory to run a server off of? Will a decent server run off of 256mb memory??

ANY/ALL server owners PLEASE answer.

Matty

Level:1337... What else? 8)
Admin:Owner. Quest-Guy. 'Nuff said.
Server:Divine Mythical Realms
Misc:Creator and Co-Owner of DMR.
Divine Mythical Realms Forum and Docs

TheMatt2000 is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 04:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheMatt2000 Click here to Send TheMatt2000 a Private Message Click Here to Email TheMatt2000 Visit TheMatt2000's homepage! Find more posts by TheMatt2000 Add TheMatt2000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

quote:
Originally posted by GoldenFlight
Actually we LOVE Homer's special touches and the MR mod...

It would be cool to run in parallel...to help offset the amount of folks playing since it's getting full a lot. (That's a pretty big compliment to server and mod.)

On the other hand, I've been kicking around the idea of using some of the elements from the Divinity Stories we've been helping with. Sort of bring some of it to life. Strider, comments on that please. Is that a no-no? Would you come and play that?

We're thinking of blending MR with Divinity.

Fine with me, as long as I get a little part. I stopped playing TRPG because I loved to edit and build stuff as admin, but that was taken from me everytime by the server shutting down or something.

Are you planning on making a map? Or what?

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 04:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

quote:
Originally posted by TheMatt2000
I NEED AN ANSWER TO A QUESTION:

What is the optimal memory to run a server off of? Will a decent server run off of 256mb memory??

ANY/ALL server owners PLEASE answer.

What kind of ram?

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 04:02 AM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

a decent server WILL not run off of 256mb ram

You need like over 1 gig of SDram. Trust me it helps a server a ton. Also Goldy Mind if I drop my modifications in your server? =) I have a few really good ones youll like.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 10-07-2001 04:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Sounds odd... Heres a tip to try.

I used to run a server that held 20 people on my p3 450mhz with 192mbs of SDRAM with minimal lag... Make sure that your packet settings are turned down low so that you can get more people through your pipe. Since you PLAY on cable, I assume you have it to max... but when you host make sure to turn it down, it'll hlep greatly.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 10-11-2001 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

My server runs fine with 256 MB of PC100 memory.

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 10-11-2001 09:56 PM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Thanks for ALL the info folks!! Keep it coming, if there's more.

Trident: I never saw your post. Matty is making mapping changes. We've designed a few different areas/playing opportunities. We're planning on running Zel's wonderful MR mod 24/7 as an overflow for folks on MN.

Maps will be similar up through Yolanda and a little different in some higher places just to keep it interesting. We're sure open to suggestions though, because we see the server evolving over time, just the way MN has. Homer/Nightmare are so good at keeping things fresh. (They're a good model for us to follow.)

GiB, we're on ADSL, the server will be a dedicated line and packets already on max!

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 10-11-2001 10:08 PM
SilverHorse
Banned

damnit, mr? I'm staying on Bnkers then

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 10-11-2001 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverHorse Click here to Send SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email SilverHorse Find more posts by SilverHorse Add SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Goldy, at LEAST try to modify that crappy magic system. =[ No offense MR fans, but it makes the TRPG skill system more impossible then it already is.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 10-11-2001 10:13 PM
Lidren
GoblinRunt

:P

Lidren Tancred,
Deamonkin Paladin,
Member of House Fenyar
Long live the King!

Lidren is offline Old Post 10-16-2001 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lidren Click here to Send Lidren a Private Message Click Here to Email Lidren Find more posts by Lidren Add Lidren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TangWei
OrcSlayer

I am an AT&T@home installer and trainer, so you could somewhat consider me an expert. The recent decline in the @home service can be attributed to two major things. #1 All the lovely viruses floating around. For those of you who are on @home (or really any static IP ISP's, and potentially a t1) and have a firewall you will have noticed huge amounts of port scans. Mainly on port 8080 (http port), port 1212, and your udp ports. This is Code red and sircam knocking. Basicly what is happening is that these viri are looking for new hosts. And they scan for flaws in your security. What this means is a low level DoS attack (denial-of-service). I've talked with installers/network admins about this and it's not just isolated to @home. All static ISPs are having the same problem. Now some good news. First get a firewall. Even Zone Alarm is fine. This will stop your pc from responding to the scans which will save your upstream bandwidth. A typical AT&T connection is limited to 2880 kbs down and 125 kbs up. As you can see you can take a huge amount of requests, but start replying to those and you are screwed. And second update your virus software. Most homes that I go to that complain about slow service have those two viri on them. And they will dominate your upstream bandwidth which would make your pc crawl. These viri are not smart in the way of hidding on your pc. Any virus scanner can whip them.

#2 Excite@home has filled bankrupcy. These are the people that we and most other broadband cable providers lease are equipment from. Once the you internet stuff leaves your local cable provider's equip (for the most part when it leaves your city) Then it's up to Excite to get you the rest of the way. Unfourtunitly the network upkeep on thier end is lacking. The employees just don't give a damn. Good news, AT&T is in talks to buy the Excite infrostructer. That means that AT&T is in a 300 million dollar buying spree to buy all the routers, switches, servers (mail news dns gatways ect) Once that happens not only will you see your service improve, but the talk is that they are going to raise the max bandwidth. Plus chances are your bill will go down now that excite is out of the picture.

To anwser your question Goldy.. (Or was it Matt, can't remember) a nice server is a 700mhz+ 256 Ram and a nice fast hd. You don't have to worry about a vid card if you are running dedicated. There are no graphics to show. A t1 would be great, but make sure your Upstream is bigger. Silver and I did some tests and we came to the conlusion that you need 10 kbs per person you want. So if you have 100 kbs upstream then thats about 10 people. Downstream is the same, but most broadband connections are limited by thier upstream connection. Some varibles are where you live. If you are on the west or east coasts you'll be faster than in the midwest. Unfourtunitly the coasts are where the main backbones are. Also depends on how many hops it takes to get out of your ISP's network. you can you use the dos program to see. Go to your dos emulator. and type "tracert www.dslreports.com" for a east coast test or "tracert www.real.com" for a west coast. Also DSL Reports has some very good and acurate tools to test your connection speed.

Ok, gotta go tto work hope that helped.

TangWei is offline Old Post 10-17-2001 02:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TangWei Click here to Send TangWei a Private Message Click Here to Email TangWei Find more posts by TangWei Add TangWei to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Thanks, Tang, that was VERY helpful!! Appreciate all the info.

What we've got on the way:

Business box: P4 1.4 GHZ 512 MBRam

ADSL (dedicated) Business Line: 256 up/256 down

Planning to start with 12 slots avail and expand if possible. I know specs say we could squeeze to 20. Rather have fewer slots with good connect. We'll see what testing brings.

We are West Coast, Northern CA.

-Thanks again.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 10-17-2001 03:35 PM
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

ehhhh

to be honest, 256Kb/256Kb isnt all that fast.

Sorry goldy, hate to break it to ya, your only gonna have an 8-10 player cap, even if you can squeeze that much.(Unless its 256KB/256KB, then........OMFG!)

My Comps Specs: (At Home)

P4 1.7ghz
MSI P4 Mobo (Sux0rs)
512MB 800mhz RD-Ram
75GB 15000RPM SCSI HD
VisionTek GeForce3
Sound Blaster Audigy EX Platinum (Girlfriend Says She got the package, currently not installed)
19' Future Power LCD Flat Screen

ADSL 1.7mb/34Kb

I could try to host 8 people.........but i doubt i could :(

Video Being Fixed
Whoever b0rked my sig, don't56k'ers, don't try ^_^ | no more plugin dl!

Cloud is offline Old Post 10-17-2001 08:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TangWei
OrcSlayer

When I hosted I could get 15 people before lag. That's why its best to use the 10kbs rule. Goldy could host potentially 25 people. Now of course those speeds fluctuate, so there would be intermitant lag. When slilver and I were playing around, I would "cap" my down stream and upstream to certain levels. We found that with base, it was about 2kbs needed. With RPG it jumped to 7 for one person. As you add more people, the minimum amount needed per person jumped. We figured that is was because of the heavier traffic. Also it's best to keep a 10% backup. So in Goldies case a 25kbs backup. This way the server will be able to handle the fluctiation in speeds.

Ok, I'm done now. But yea goldy, you will do fine with what you got.

TangWei is offline Old Post 10-18-2001 12:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TangWei Click here to Send TangWei a Private Message Click Here to Email TangWei Find more posts by TangWei Add TangWei to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Thanks Tang! Appreciate that. Hubby's been looking at this for a while trying to calculate exact amount of download/upload per player on reg Tribes (figuring that was most intensive..given constant graphics changes). And trying to balance that with what our provider can do for us (legally) and what we can afford to pay. We've already got 5 other comps in the house, now adding the 6th for a server and another line for it....quite the juggling act.

Thanks for the input / validation of numbers.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 10-19-2001 04:03 PM