Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Technical Support > Very annoying bug...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DescenderX
GnollShaman

I'll bet that many of you had had this happen to you before, and be extremely pissed off at it. This bug I'm talking about is what I like to call the "Ghosted Player" bug... just a name I gave to this bug that shows its face very few times, and only under a few circumstances...
Ever been mining, or fighting a monster, then meditate or drop into your inventory screen, only to suddenly hear that familiar entry sound for Keldrin Town? No loss of LCK happens, but you somehow respawn in Keldrin with ONLY a pickaxe and very few items... you may be wearing fullplate, and be carrying padded, and suddenly, those items are not there when you mysteriously appear in Keldrin. You try to cast a spell, and it says you are sleeping, even tho you wree walking around, trying to get out of Keldrin a second ago. So you #wake, cast a spell to test, and go back to your body.
You get to your body, and, for some possessed reason, it is STILL laying on the ground, wearing your armor and swinging a weapon! You get info on it, and it is called ",", a LEVEL -1 -1 character, with no #getinfo...

I've had this happen to me before many times, and it's really annoying. Luckly, I was always on my own server at the time, so I would just give myself the stuff the invisible players had, back. However, I logged onto Comet for a wee bit to do some explaoring, and had my broadsword, hatchet, padded armor and around 300 coins all eaten by the Ghosted Player...
I've seen it happen to at least 3 other people, of which one was -51-MoRpHiAs while he was mining. He simply whacked at the crystal, and then appeared in K town with nothing. Not even a pickaxe or anything.
This bug doesn't seem to come up all that often, but when it does, it can fukk a char over big time... possibly there is no solution to this, but it would still be nice to see if other ppl can recreate the bug and make an effort to try to find out exactly why it happens. I would, but I'm by far no expert 1337 coder, so I can only spot the biggest of problems, not fine little details.

(P.S. Heheh... sneaky JI, real sneaky... hiding the crystal there Ahhh yes... now all I have to do is get to lvl 60 again so I can actually mine some Ruby goodness up there )

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DescenderX is offline Old Post 03-17-2001 03:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DescenderX Click here to Send DescenderX a Private Message Click Here to Email DescenderX Find more posts by DescenderX Add DescenderX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Yeah I've seen it happen to someone while I was playing with them.

You don't need to be an coder to help me solve this. Just find a way to recreate it everytime, and I will fix it for sure.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-17-2001 07:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DescenderX
GnollShaman

Good good

I'll try my best to find it. For now though, I know that it seems to happen when people are mining, or using a script to meditate and then auto-attack (hold fire, then v x z for example, to meditate which causes you to auto atack). As well, it sometimes tends to happen in the inventory screen. When you meditate, you fall down. When you go into the inven srceen, you fall down. It's the absolute best connection I have between the two right now .
Actually, come to think about it, it seems to happen just when the actual animation of falling over happens... it never actually happened when it looked like ppl were looking @ their watches there. Ever since ppl have started to collapse to go into their inven, or to meditate, it's been happpening... How the animation would have any effect, I'm not sure... but that's just my observations for the moment.

DescenderX is offline Old Post 03-17-2001 08:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DescenderX Click here to Send DescenderX a Private Message Click Here to Email DescenderX Find more posts by DescenderX Add DescenderX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beinsethiol
GnollPup

ur posting reminded me of something when u got to talking about auto attacking by holding the attack button then vxz. I have been having a problem with my character auto walking.
Usually after leaving a dungeon or the like, to sleep and heal. I wake up or just as I am pushing the v or x key, he just takes off and starts walking. Pushing backwards (s key) stops him, but if I let up, he takes off again. U know of anyway to get him to stop?

Beinsethiol is offline Old Post 03-18-2001 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Beinsethiol Click here to Send Beinsethiol a Private Message Click Here to Email Beinsethiol Find more posts by Beinsethiol Add Beinsethiol to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DescenderX
GnollShaman

Sorry to raise this...

The oly real way to stop is to press forward again. After auto-walk has been started you have to press the key that makes you move forward to stop it. Same goes for auto attack. If you are auto-attacking and wish to stop, press Fire and you will stop attakin'.

DescenderX is offline Old Post 03-18-2001 09:25 PM