Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Technical Support > Is there a way to do this?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ryoko
GoblinRunt

Unhappy

Well, i haven't been able to join any TRPG servers due to a server time out problem.. i read up about it and i was wondering what the hey i can do about it... i've been able to join at 2:00 A.M. but that was it till now... and im really getting memories of why i first left the old TRPG... well any help would be very appreciated.

Ryoko

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ryoko is offline Old Post 05-28-2001 05:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ryoko Click here to Send Ryoko a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryoko Find more posts by Ryoko Add Ryoko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Hello Ryoko

The problem is caused by the ton of memory that TRPG models consume. The best fix is to get more RAM. Typically a total of 128 should do, and the more the better in any case.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 05-28-2001 06:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryoko
GoblinRunt

This may sound dumb... but do I have to buy ram? lol.. I know a lot of computer stuff except what's in the computer... Well, all I know is, yes I may have to get more ram... or I may get a new computer... or I'm just going to extend how long it takes to get into a server... I dunno yet... grr.. I so wanna show lxcool who's boss

Thx though JI and maybe if I do get into servers in the day I can make some ideas for your other updates... heck I'll think of one while I work today.

Ryoko

Ryoko is offline Old Post 05-28-2001 08:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ryoko Click here to Send Ryoko a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryoko Find more posts by Ryoko Add Ryoko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

well it needs to load a hefty amount of data into memory. if you do not have enough memory a DOS machine would crash, and a windows machine allocates harddrive space and pretends its memory. (thats why computers crunch a lot when stressed) now harddrives are incredibly slow compafred to real memory. so tribes starts running and connecting REALLY slow and you timeout.
if you could extend timeout time to connect properly, would you not still RUN incredibly slow?

try closing exeverything running (that you can) before opening tribes, to get that extra edge of memory.

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 05-29-2001 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kasuto
GoblinRunt

Go to Start and Run and type in msconfig and press enter. Go to the startup tab and uncheck every box except for system tray and any power profiles. That way when your computer starts up it will have high resources available. I got mine up to 98% free, it's nice. Of course, if you like things like MSN messenger loading in your taskbar, it'll be lower.
Just a suggestion. Also, if you don't wanna do that do remember to close all programs (ctrl alt del) 'cept explorer and systray...and, obviously, Tribes. Course you prolly knew that anyhow. Well, g'night!

-Kas

Kasuto is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 06:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kasuto Click here to Send Kasuto a Private Message Click Here to Email Kasuto Find more posts by Kasuto Add Kasuto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote