Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Technical Support > Getting new Classes to Work
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Getting new Classes to Work

How do i get the new classes i made to work in the game?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-21-2001 05:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BowntyHunta Click here to Send BowntyHunta a Private Message Click Here to Email BowntyHunta Visit BowntyHunta's homepage! Find more posts by BowntyHunta Add BowntyHunta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

You're going to have to be a little more specific about what is and what is not happening. If you've only created new classes, jump down to step 2. If you've renamed or deleted any old classes, keep reading.

1. In comchat.cs search for the classes that you've renamed/removed and delete the class names from the lines they're in. Replace EVERY one that you deleted with one of your new classes, being careful to use lowercase on the first line and capital-first letter on the second. There's a pattern that should be pretty easy to see there. Next, if you run out of classes, delete the extra lines of code. Else, continue to step 2.

2. Following the same pattern as the rest of the classes in the comchat.cs file, add your extra classes (remember to be case-sensitive). If you've defined groups and multipliers for all your new classes, they should register.

Assuming you extracted classes.cs and modified it, you would add the line
exec("classes");
to your autoexec file if you run a non-dedicated server. If you use the rpgserv.exe to start your server, just drop your file into the config or RPG folder.

If you just made a new file with all your new stuff, add the same line as above (but with your filename in place of "classes") into the autoexec folder.

Also, make sure your file is a *.cs file and not a *.txt file.

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 07:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PlatinumGus Click here to Send PlatinumGus a Private Message Find more posts by PlatinumGus Add PlatinumGus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

When i start up my server it says unknown skills and when i make my guy in that class his skills arent there all taht is there is just n.next> and x.done

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 07:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BowntyHunta Click here to Send BowntyHunta a Private Message Click Here to Email BowntyHunta Visit BowntyHunta's homepage! Find more posts by BowntyHunta Add BowntyHunta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

It sounds like you don't have the multipliers set for the class. It would either do what you described or just give 0 in every slot. Post what you did to make/modify the class (the actual lines from your files) and I'll see if I can pick out what's wrong.

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 08:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PlatinumGus Click here to Send PlatinumGus a Private Message Find more posts by PlatinumGus Add PlatinumGus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

This is the Skills//--------------
// Ninja
//--------------
// Ninjas are Master of the Art of Stealing.
// They are Theifs and Warriors.

//Primary Skill: Piercing
//Secondary Skills: Stealing, Hiding, Neutral Casting

$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillSlashing] = 0.2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillPiercing] = 2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillBludgeoning] = 0.2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillDodging] = 2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillWeightCapacity] = 0.9;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninaj, $SkillBashing] = 0.2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillStealing] = 2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillHiding] = 2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillBackstabbing] = 1.2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillOffensiveCasting] = .1;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillDefensiveCasting] = 1.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillNeutralCasting] = 1.8;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillSpellResistance] = 1;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillHealing] = 1.5;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillArchery] = 1.8;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillEndurance] = .9;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillMining] = 1.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillSpeech] = .5;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillSenseHeading] = 1;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillEnergy] = 1;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillHaggling] = .5;
$EXPmultiplier[Ninja] = 2.0;

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 04:04 PM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Heh opps!

Ok disregard that last post i didnt know what you were talking about i just got winvol today and found comchat.cs but i dotn see anywhere i could put my new classes.

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 09:17 PM
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

paltinumgus ahs no idea what is going on.
comchat has nothing to do with it.

bounty you forgot to specify its group. i dont remember the exact syntax but i know you will have to specify a group, see, your class is there now but it willonly show up in its groups choice menu, of which there is none!

mrtrpg.cjb.net - homepage for the Mythical Realms mod of TRPG

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

I put my new class into a group in the classes.cs is there another spot where im supoposed to put it in ther?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-22-2001 10:37 PM
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

Actually, you do want to change comchat if you want bots bought in Ethren to match the classes you have available for players. It is not required, but relieves some confusion for players.

And Zel is right about the group, but I don't remember the exact syntax either. I would check it for you, but I'm not on my server pc, so I don't have the files. Use winvol to extract classes.cs and just look at the groups for the existing classes. You'll want the ninja in the rogue group.
The groups for the classes are all blocked together above the classnames.

Also, don't forget to make names for each remort of your new class. Scroll down classes.cs and you'll see how. Make each new class number consecutively higher.

Ex: Cleric is 1(class number), 0(remort step)
cleric remort step 1 is 1, 1
Druid is 2, 0
etc.

You'll want Ninja to be 9, 0 and so on...you'll see that all the other classes go as high as 100 on the remort steps

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 05:03 AM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Ok got the remorts done already.

Ive already done the Names and stuff like that am i supposed to exec("classes")
exec("skills")
in the auto exec.cs?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 05:07 AM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

OOONNOOOOo

The worst has happened( I have ran outa room in my NotePad and i was trying to make a new Class( That is not cool it says i need more memory Anyone know if i can use a .cs with Word?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 05:43 AM
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

Yes, you can create and edit *.cs files in Word..you have to with the bigger ones.

You shouldn't have to add exec("classes"); or skills either. Just put them into your config folder. If you made the ninja class in a new file, you would add that file to autoexec though.

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 06:33 AM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Where...

Where would i oput my new classes in the autoexec file?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 06:40 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

hmm, I suggest a miner/merchant class. If you wish, I can provide the mults.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 07:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

I was thinking something like that

I was gona make 2 new groups for new classes first one was gona be a Mercanry Group which had the classes Assassin,BountyHunter,Tracker(
Dunno if the the BountyHunta are Tracker sound too much alike) and the other group
Citizen which had the classes Merchant,Miner,and another one which i cant think of a name for right now.

But shure if you wanna send me some mults ill look at them and modify them if needed)

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 07:08 PM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Other Class

I also made a ShadowKnight Class he is in the Warriror group. You know how people said that theywanted a Fighter and OffensiveCaster well i made him on the only prob is that he lvls slowly. Ill show ya the stats if ya want me too.

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 07:14 PM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Is there a way?

Is there a way to make a New Group? Would it involve alot of coding(Not my strong point)? And any sugesstions for a new Class in the Mages Group?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 09:41 PM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Yay!

I have the classes in my game now!! But they have 0s there for skills( What do i do now?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 09:52 PM
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

To put new classes using autoexec: Suppose the file you made your new classes in was called newclasses.cs in autoexec, add the line
exec("newclasses");
exactly as shown.
Just don't use any existing filenames. (Look at all of them in winvol and be sure not to copy any of thir names)

And yes, it requires minimal hard coding to add new groups. I took Ranger out of the Warrior group and Druid out of the Priest group and put them both into a Woodsman group. I'll check my PC with my files and post it later on. I believe it's in comchat.cs, but not 100% sure. Just open it up and search for Rogue. Follow the pattern there and add whatever group(s) you want.

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 10:13 PM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

I put this in autoexec exec("newclasses")
exec("newskills")

and it still has 0s for the skills Am i not supposed to put exec("newskills")?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 10:31 PM
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

Delete both the newclasses and newskills lines. You should replace the "newclasses" with whatever your filename is.
Try this..if you put the ninja inside the classes.cs file with everything else, then you're good. If you made a new file, rename it ninjaclass.cs and add the line exec("ninjaclass"); to your autoexec file.

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 04:56 AM
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

--side note..end all lines with a semicolon ( ; )
and use 0's in multipliers
Ex: 0.8 and 1.0 not .8 and 1

I think I've got everything here. After all this, your new class and group should work.
It turns out the group stuff wasn't in comchat, but in rpgstats.

Extract rpgstats.cs into "C:\Dynamix\Tribes\config" and find this section:

function MenuGroup(%clientId)
{
dbecho($dbechoMode, "MenuGroup(" @ %clientId @ ")");

Client::buildMenu(%clientId, "Pick a group:", "pickgroup", true);
Client::addMenuItem(%clientId
, "1Priest", 1);
, "2Rogue", 2);
, "3Warrior", 3);
, "4Wizard", 4);

return;
}
function processMenupickgroup(%clientId
, %opt)
{
dbecho($dbechoMode, "processMenupickgroup(" @ %clientId @ ", " @ %opt @ ")");

if(%opt == 1)
storeData(%clientId, "GROUP", "Priest");
else if(%opt == 2)
storeData(%clientId, "GROUP", "Rogue");
else if(%opt == 3)
storeData(%clientId, "GROUP", "Warrior");
else if(%opt == 4)
storeData(%clientId, "GROUP", "Wizard");

%clientId.choosingGroup = "";
%clientId.choosingClass = True;

MenuClass(%clientId);
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insert the line:
Client::addMenuItem(%clientId,
"5NewGroupName", 5);
with your new group name. You may want to alphabetize them by editing the numbers. The number before the Groupname is the key you press to get that option. The numbers after should be in numerical order.

Insert the lines:
else if(%opt == 5)
storeData(%clientId, "GROUP", "NewGroupName");

make the (%opt == 5) to whatever number your new group has.
Save the file and leave it in the config folder.
After that, you've got your new group. To put Ninja into that group, open your Ninja class file and make sure it has all these components:

$ClassGroup[Ninja] = "NewGroupName";
$initcoins[NewGroupName] = "2d6x10";
(The $initcoins line may not be neccessary, but better safe than sorry)

$ClassName[9, 0] = "Ninja";
$ClassName[9, 1] = "Whatever";
$ClassName[9, 2] = "Whatever";
$ClassName[9, 3] = "Whatever";
$ClassName[9, 4] = "WhateverIV";
$ClassName[9, 5] = "WhateverV";
$ClassName[9, 6] = "WhateverVI";
$ClassName[9, 7] = "WhateverVII";
etc.
You get the idea...Use whatever names you want, but the other classes start using roman numerals at the 4th or 5th remort.
All classes end with
$Classname[9, 100] = "God";

and your multipliers...

$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillSlashing] = 0.2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillPiercing] = 2.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillBludgeoning] = 0.2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillDodging] = 2.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillWeightCapacity] = 0.9;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillBashing] = 0.2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillStealing] = 2.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillHiding] = 2.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillBackstabbing] = 1.2;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillOffensiveCasting] = 0.1;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillDefensiveCasting] = 1.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillNeutralCasting] = 1.8;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillSpellResistance] = 1.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillHealing] = 1.5;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillArchery] = 1.8;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillEndurance] = 0.9;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillMining] = 1.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillSpeech] = 0.5;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillSenseHeading] = 1.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillEnergy] = 1.0;
$SkillMultiplier[Ninja, $SkillHaggling] = 0.5;
$EXPmultiplier[Ninja] = 2.0;

With these stats, the ninja class is grossly overpowered, but it's your server.

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 05:03 AM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

YAY

I finally got it to work!!! My Ninja Class is finally Working!!! I would liek to Thanks PlatinumGus and Zel for Helping me out.

*ps* Plat i looked at the Skills on the Ninja and saw that you are right about it being to overpowered. So i took it down a bit. Thanks again!!

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-25-2001 05:19 AM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

I got a New Group now!!!!!

I have a New group name too i just made it and checked it in the game!!!! Its called Mercanary Hope i spelled it right.

Thanks for your help guys!

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-25-2001 05:34 AM
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

No problem, and btw...it's spelled Mercenary

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-25-2001 07:01 AM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Fixed the spelling

Heh thanks again!!

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-25-2001 08:00 PM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

How do i edit?

How do i edit the amount of Sp people start out iwth and get every lvl?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-25-2001 10:22 PM
BowntyHunta
GoblinWizard

Does anyone have any Ideas for new groups and new classes?

BowntyHunta is offline Old Post 07-25-2001 10:58 PM
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

SP amounts

Since you're asking about SP, I'm guessing you run a non-dedicated server. The easiest way to set it is too run rpgserv.exe in your RPG folder, click advanced, and set all the options you want there, but cbut a check in the make it dedicated box. Launch the server just this once with the launch server button. After ther server has set up, close it. Open the rpgserv.cs file in your config folder and copy the entire file. Open autoexec.cs and paste all of it into the file. When you start the server as normal, all your settings you made earlier should apply.

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-26-2001 06:44 AM
PlatinumGus
GoblinRunt

SP amounts

quote:
but cbut a check in the make it dedicated box.

but put a check in the box that makes the server dedicated.

---in the line that says something to the affect of
$ServerIsDedicated = "true";
make it false.

PlatinumGus is offline Old Post 07-26-2001 06:49 AM