Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > TRPG Role Playing > Story Forum > The Klepto
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Arrow

Section 1.

Silently, Scion peered around the alley as the fading light from the setting sun cast a red glow over the town of Keldrin. Seeing no one, he slowly crept into the large house. Once inside, he walked cautiously walked around the perimeter of the room, scanning for valuables. After lifting a few small trinkets, he slunk up the stairs, hoping for more wealth.
One of the stairs creaked slightly, causing Scion to freeze in the dark shadows. After several minutes of breathless waiting, Scion continued his advance. Once on the top floor, he carefully scanned the room, seeing only one person, obviously quite drunk and asleep on a large, comfortable bed.

It was an easy task to rob him of a substantial amount of gold, a small dagger laying by the bed, and a couple of blue potions that were stored in crystal bottles. "This will certainly pay for my trouble", thought Scion as he strode down the stairs.

However, in his momentary distraction he failed to notice the man in chain mail blocking the door, holding a long sword high. The, "Stop, you damn thief!" did manage to gain his attention. "Nevim!" Scion exclaimed. "Yes, it's me. I escaped from Yolanda and returned here to find that you are here empting my house of goods!" said Nevim as he brandished his steel blade.

Desperately, Scion searched for a means of escape, but the windows were barred, and he recalled no exit from the upper level. As he retreated from the sword-swinging fury before him, he recalled a word said long before. "Nevim, what about the enchanted stones?" he said. The armored attacker paused and said, "What about them?" "I heard you were searching for some" "That damned apprentence is keeping them all for himself!" screamed Nevim.

Scion quickly finished his idea as he said, "Perhaps we could make a deal? You let me go and I will get you your stones." He could tell that this idea was strongly appealing to Nevim, as the brawny man paused and tought before saying, "It's a deal, but you must be sure to get a complete set of five, of I will hunt you down and make you wish you had died tonight." Scion nodded briefly, glad that there now appeared to be at least a chance to live. Slowly, he walked to the door and exited, leaving Nevim and the sack of loot behind.

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

Middle Earth, level 5 Admin.

Mystic Demon RPG, level 4 Admin.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 03-25-2001 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Section 3

Shaken by his close call, Scion walked to a pub in a bad section of town. Taking his habitual corner seat, he swilled ale while he planned his next escapade. While he was street-smart and one of the best thieves in the city, he had only been outside of town a few times, and those were only travelling between cities. He also had absolutely no experience with combat, though he had once defended himself with a dagger from an enraged victum.

On the other hand, he had plenty of equipment, and was quite strong and fast-moving. But this would not help him if the rumors he heard were true. He tried to forget the rumors, even as they swirled around the room in which he sat. Some said that they were being invaded by a distant country. Some claimed that a few brigands were causing problems. However, the most common rumors were also the most blood chilling. Scion absently watched a tattered warrior at the bar drink down a tall stien of beer as his hands twisted in a vivid description of hand to hand combat with what he called gnolls.

Scion decided to play it safe and stay within the realms of known civilization. With a sudden burst of energy, he dropped a gold coin on the table and strode out into the darkness. Once outside, he stopped by the local banker and emptied his account. As he hefted the sack onto his shoulder, he reflected that he was probably one of the wealthiest men in town this night. He walked down yet another darkened street, looking for a certain merchant. After nearly half an hour of searching, he had found the merchant lurking in the shadows of a damaged stone building.

He had dealt with the man many times before, but still, niether knew the other's name. "What do you have for me today?" rasped the black-clad merchant. In answer, Scion opened a sack, showing the surprised merchant an glittering pile of rubies, diamonds, and sapphires. "I need weapons, lots of weapons" Scion said. Thirty minutes later, he walked into the moonlight wearing a full suit of black leather armor, a short sword hung by his side and a crossbow upon his back. On his feet were strange footgear fashioned from the paws of a giant cat. He had considered some other boots which offered the advantage of fllying, but had decided against it based on the fact that they used magic. For some strange reason, any form of magic in close proximity to him had always caused him excruciating pain. He had never mentioned this weakness to anyone else, but it haunted him all the same.

Now that he was prepared, he strode swiftly to the large wall around the city, and fastened a light, strong rope to a steel grapnel. He waited patiently until the guard on the wall had walked past on his beat, then swiftly cast the grapnel onto the wall and hauled himself up. As he climbed onto the level top of the wall, he cursed as he saw the deep scratches left by the grapnel. No doubt the guard would notice them shortly. In fact, the guard had already reached the end of his patrol and was turning torward Scion, who quickly sought refuge in the shadows of the stone guardhouse upon the wall, leaving his grapnel and rope still hanging. The guard's paused upon seeing this obvious evidence of passage, evidently puzzled as to it's meaning. He picked the grapnel up and bent over to compare it with the marks. It would be the last move he would ever make. Scion sprang from the safety of the shadows, stabbing the guard in the back, and then shoving him off the wall. If the hole through his chest didn't kill him, the three story fall onto hard cobblestones surely did.

The successful thief-turned-warrior rappelled off the outer wall onto the comforting ground and started his journey.

Last edited by DeathMerchant on 07-04-2001 at 04:53 PM

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 03-25-2001 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Um... no

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 05-13-2001 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

OOC:

Interesting Story, DM!

Here's some ideas:

Maybe the story is in the JOURNEY to get to the place where the stones are, and NOT the actual fighting/retrieval of the stones themselves.

Also: think about being tailed by ANOTHER thief in the employ of the apprentice? Or an assasin who is out to make sure the stones don't get back to Nevim?

And perhaps you hook up with this thief when you realize that the stones that BOTH Nevim and the Apprentice are after are designed to do something that neither of them ought to be able to do...and they should reside in the hands of their rightful owner...some third party or a god or something. And the reason they were left heavily guarded by orc warlocks (or whatever monster) is to ensure they never fall into mortal hands? But the stones can't be destroyed?

Or...um....you and another thief you meet on your travels hook up and defeat the Apprentice's right hand man (assasin)

Or the place where you go to get the stones is a deep, dark keep, protected by evil magic, high on a mountain at the edge of a deep ravine....(add monsters patrolling, or twisty mazes, or a special "key" or "spell breaker" or "protective shield" that you need to go on a quest to find..in order to get in ..that forces Scion to HAVE to deal with magic.)

You could also do this whole pseudo-comedy thing where you get the stones and another thief steals them, and you steal them back...and so on...until this whole battle erupts inside Keldrin with everyone joining in....

Dunno...top of the head stuff here. :p

Hope this sparks some ideas.. Kick me if I've written too much...but you guys have figured out by now that I do, huh?

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 05-31-2001 at 05:02 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 05-30-2001 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheRealCrash
TravellerKnight

Lol. I have never posted here because I usually just watch and marvel at the skill I am to lazy to use. But those were so awesome ideas.

TheRealCrash is offline Old Post 05-31-2001 03:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealCrash Click here to Send TheRealCrash a Private Message Click Here to Email TheRealCrash Find more posts by TheRealCrash Add TheRealCrash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheMatt2000
UndeadSkeleton

OOC: Can I join in this thread?

Matty

Level:1337... What else? 8)
Admin:Owner. Quest-Guy. 'Nuff said.
Server:Divine Mythical Realms
Misc:Creator and Co-Owner of DMR.
Divine Mythical Realms Forum and Docs

TheMatt2000 is offline Old Post 05-31-2001 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheMatt2000 Click here to Send TheMatt2000 a Private Message Click Here to Email TheMatt2000 Visit TheMatt2000's homepage! Find more posts by TheMatt2000 Add TheMatt2000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

quote:
Originally posted by GoldenFlight
OOC:

Interesting Story, DM!

Here's some ideas:

Maybe the story is in the JOURNEY to get to the place where the stones are, and NOT the actual fighting/retrieval of the stones themselves.

Also: think about being tailed by ANOTHER thief in the employ of the apprentice? Or an assasin who is out to make sure the stones don't get back to Nevim?

And perhaps you hook up with this thief when you realize that the stones that BOTH Nevim and the Apprentice are after are designed to do something that neither of them ought to be able to do...and they should reside in the hands of their rightful owner...some third party or a god or something. And the reason they were left heavily guarded by orc warlocks (or whatever monster) is to ensure they never fall into mortal hands? But the stones can't be destroyed?

Or...um....you and another thief you meet on your travels hook up and defeat the Apprentice's right hand man (assasin)

Or the place where you go to get the stones is a deep, dark keep, protected by evil magic, high on a mountain at the edge of a deep ravine....(add monsters patrolling, or twisty mazes, or a special "key" or "spell breaker" or "protective shield" that you need to go on a quest to find..in order to get in ..that forces Scion to HAVE to deal with magic.)

You could also do this whole pseudo-comedy thing where you get the stones and another thief steals them, and you steal them back...and so on...until this whole battle erupts inside Keldrin with everyone joining in....

Dunno...top of the head stuff here. :p

Hope this sparks some ideas.. Kick me if I've written too much...but you guys have figured out by now that I do, huh?

oh, good ideas... I'm going to make this a journey style story...I used to read those all the time. Oh yes, Scion will face magic. Should make it much more interesting. And he'll have to lose the stones somewhere....

Hang on, I just had a terriffic idea....

PS: Sorry, matt...this is more of a story I want to make solo, just for the sake of experimenting. Might take me a while though...rather busy. :-)

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

Middle Earth, level 5 Admin.

Mystic Demon RPG, level 4 Admin.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-01-2001 03:49 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

missing thread?

Where on earth did "The Klepto" go? I went back to the begginning, and it's not listed...I was thinking about finishing it up. (A rather lengthy process, and I'd rather not start over...there was like 6 pages already done)

Edit: W007! It's Back!

Last edited by DeathMerchant on 07-04-2001 at 04:28 PM

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-03-2001 03:03 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Scion glanced at the stars as he had seen others do before beginning a nighttime journey, and set off. He avoided the trees, as these hindered his travels. Instead, he walked a circuitous path through the trails and meadows which were plentiful in this area. Unfortunately, this means of travel had it's disadvantages. The first was that Scion, who had no experience with the outdoors, now had not the slightest idea of his direction of travel or locations. The second was that he was an extremely visible target in the light of the full moon above him.

The second problem would come to his notice before the first, as already a roving trio of goblins had caught sight of this wandering traveller. Rapidly, they pursued him as he walked westward, illuminated by the moons soft rays. They would have caught him entirely unawares had he not heard the soft scrape of a sharp knife blade upon wood from behind him. Swiftly, he whirled about and drew his own weapon just in time to block a swift stab from the largest goblin. So, the legends of strange creatures in the lands are true, thought Scion, as he stabbed one of the spindly green creatures. Despite his skill as a knife fighter, Scion began to tire from blocking the attempts of all three attackers. Slowly, they began to wear down his guard.

Blood shone on Scion's left forearm from the first of his wounds. More followed swiftly, as Scion tired further. He had done some damage to these goblins, but not enough. With a cry of frustration and rage, he hurled the dagger into the nearest goblin and drew his short sword from his pack. The littlest goblin, who had been hanging back 'till now, took this opportunity to rush forward and stab his knife entirely through the leg of this strange traveller. As he screamed in pain, Scion brought the sword down upon the small one with a powerful overhead swing, slicing the goblin neatly in half. With that, the other two goblins swarmed him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where....where am I?" said Scion. "Shhh, you must rest", said the warrior who was carrying him. "Some goblins ambushed you, and we found you crumpled on the ground for lack of blood with the bodies of the greenskins strewn around. You must rest." Scion cast a wary eye about him, noticing the scarred warriors accompanying him. Fully two score of them were travelling in company, with a relaxed and carefree appearance. Surely, to have such a happy outlook, they must be returning to home, he thought. Slowly, so as not to bring rebuke from his bearer, he lifted his head to survey the area around. It looked nothing like the lands he knew. The foliage looked strange, somehow, and it was very hilly, unlike keldrin. In the distance, he could see some kind of small, wooded fort. Perhaps it was to this that they were travelling. Once again, Scion felt weak from the loss of blood, and his head sank back down. There would be time for his mission later, after he had rested.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-04-2001 04:52 PM