Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > TRPG Role Playing > General RP Discussion > The Black Ring
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
croaton
GoblinThief

Post The Black Ring

DISCLAIMER: This is a Continued Story, not an RP. This only uses the mod as a base, it does not tie into any previous stories. Feel free to come in at any time and continue the story through any form of writing you wish (simple paragraph, point-of-view, poem, etc.) because I have always wanted to see where one of these goes.

CHAPTER ONE: Ambush in the Jaten Mountains

It had been raining all night and the soft dirt path had quickly turned to mud. Saberoth raised his hands to the sky and cried out, before collapsing down into the mud in defeat.

This journey had been three years in his mind, and it had taken forever just to get enough men together to make the trek to and from the ring. Even though their quest had ultimately been a failure, this was not the time to give up.

Saberoth stood, allowing the mud to slowly make it's way down his face and his ripped shirt. He pivoted on his feet and turned to his Commander, Aank.

"Aank," He shouted, "Round up the men and get everyone to hurry down into the clearing, Jaten should be close at hand now." Then he turned back and squinted to see behind the heavy rain and fog before him, but all he could see was more mountain range. He raised his hand and wiped his face clean, then he let out a long, terrible sigh.

Aank, however, never let a second thougth cross through his head. He shouted out something that was bearly audible over the pound of the rain against the mud, but somehow the men around him understood and they dropped everything, but continued walking across the muddy incline.

"Now is the time." Aank thought to himself, "The ring is mine now, and Saberoth is powerless to stop me." He slowly drew his sword and began to approach Saberoth, a devilish grin blooming on his face. Saberoth turned again to face Aank but when he saw the blade his face was not astonishment or wonder, it was something much more horrifying.

In complete calm, Saberoth looked right into Aank's eyes.

"We're all dead here. No one will ever here from us again."

Last edited by croaton on 07-24-2001 at 01:23 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

croaton is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 03:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for croaton Click here to Send croaton a Private Message Find more posts by croaton Add croaton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SephirothRPG
OrcRavager

OCC: Wow, intresting story. Hmmm... I would add on, but I have a headache . Hehehe peace out, BTW see you on Titan rpg.

SephirothRPG is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 04:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SephirothRPG Click here to Send SephirothRPG a Private Message Click Here to Email SephirothRPG Find more posts by SephirothRPG Add SephirothRPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
machwing
OgreHalberdier

Aank quickly drew his sword, the engravings dull, but still glimmering from the moonlight the raindrops revealed.
"The black ring. I will find it. You will die."

They stared at each other, the rain soaking their leather padding and filling their boots until they could barely stand up right. Quickly, Aank leaped at Saberoth with amazing speed, but Saberoth anticipated it and ducked to the side. Aank went into a frenzy, slashing about in the air. Saberoth dodged the blows, and threw his old shield at Aank. The shield hit Aank in the head, and sent him reeling into a mud puddle. The men who had dared stay close to their battle watched as Aank stood up, barely scratched, picked up his sword, and leaped. Saberoth tried to dodge him again, but this time his face was slashed. His vision blurred, and his thought confused, Saberoth fell against a boulder. Aank picked up a claymore dropped by a soldier, and slowly walked over to Saberoth. Aank drew the sword high, and spoke in a selfish tone, "The ring is mine. Not even you can stop me." Just as Aank brought the sword down, the beating of war drums began to get louder then the rain. The sword was four inches from Saberoth's heart, held in mid-air. A bolt of lightning flashed. More wardrums were heard. Warcries could be heard east, and the clashing of swords began. Aank paused for thought, then ordered the soldiers a simple command:

"Those are Ogre warcries, and Undead bone drums. They are attacking Jaten. Join the fight, men. Kill them all."
Saberoth regained his senses in the confusion of the preperations. He ran up a hill and looked down at Jaten. Hundreds of Ogres charged at Jaten. Undead necromancers casted the fires of hell from the mountans surrounding Jaten. The troops of Jaten were falling fast, and the dead were raised to fight against the living. For every Ogre that died, ten warriors were killed. and the worst part was, all were raised for the undead. Saberoth searched for his sword, but Aank finally noticed him. Saberoth was hit over the head with a war maul, and was knocked unconsious.

Eventually Saberoth woke up. He found himself chained to a boulder in the middle of the ruins of Jaten. He was surrounded by hundreds of Ogre warriors, and thousands of undead. Not a single corpse was left unraised by the undead. He looked to his right, and saw the body of Aank, broken and battered, barely alive. In front of him the crowd opened a bit, and a dark figure walked through. A booming voice called to Saberoth, "The black ring. We want it. You will give it to us." Saberoth was about to speak when he finally noticed something. The rain had turned into blood. The river was as red as hell. The dark figure was a demon. A horror. A Gohort.

machwing is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 05:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for machwing Click here to Send machwing a Private Message Click Here to Email machwing Find more posts by machwing Add machwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croaton
GoblinThief

Saberoth did not move and did not breath. He did not dare to do anything, for fear that he would end up like the rest of his men or perhaps worse.

Again the demon spoke, "The Black Ring! We must have it."

Saberoth's eyes darted around to try and figure out where he was. One thing was for certain, he was on a river. This may have been Jaten Outpost, but he was uncertain. Aank was here, bearly alive however, but where were the rest of his men? He could not crane his neck to look behind him, for fear of his captor.

The Gohort reached down toward Saberoth and used both hands to pry open his mouth, and look inside his throught. Saberoth attempted to scream, but there was nothing. The demon tossed him aside and walked away, leaving several Orcs to watch over him.

"Ungh." Aank gasped as his lifeless hands suddenly grabbed at his face. His eyes opened and he cracked his neck, then wiped the blood from his eyes. He looked over at Saberoth, and when he saw his enemy chained down he simply smiled.

"It seems I can't even remember my own victory." He said, and then he checked his fingers. After not finding what he was looking for, he seemed upset. He stood up and began to walk toward Saberoth, but suddenly noticed the Orcs.

"Oh, right." He said, before sitting back down.

Last edited by croaton on 07-23-2001 at 10:21 PM

croaton is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for croaton Click here to Send croaton a Private Message Find more posts by croaton Add croaton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croaton
GoblinThief

As the Undead forces assembled in the fields beyond them, Saberoth and Aank sat in silence. It took quite some time for the blood-rain to stop, and eventually the salty taste left their mouthes.

Finally Aank broke the silence with laughter.

"Ha. I guess you where wrong old man." He said.

"About what?" Saberoth looked over at him.

"Up on the mountain, you told me that we were all going to die, and you're wrong. Two of us are going to die down in this field! Ha ha ha!" Aank laughed uncontrollably.

"At first I didn't think that this was Jaten, because I wouldn't let myself believe it, but now I'm almost entirely certain that the ruins behind us are what is left of the Outpost." Saberoth told him. Aank stopped his laughing and craned his neck around, getting a good look at the smolder behind him. It was clear now that this strange Orc/Undead Army had the upper hand, and that it was no time for victory.

"They've never dared to venture this close before? Why suddenly now?" Aank asked.

Saberoth could not answer, because approaching them was a large Orc, and behind him was the Gohort. Aank looked forward and saw them same, then he scrambled behind Saberoth as a child clings to its mother.

The Gohort leaned down over them and smiled. Then turned and walked directly past them. The Large Orc who had been with him however, did not leave. Instead it raised its Rusty Broad Sword above its head and cried out.

Saberoth braced himself for the coming blow.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 04:05 PM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Sorry, no Ubers walk around with undead. No ybers walk around, period.

They are confined, get it? If we had Ubers running around, another 1000 year war would be upon us.

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 04:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croaton
GoblinThief

Saberoth put his weight against the post he was chained to, and then lunged forward anc kicked the Orc to the ground, sending him realing back and dropping his sword into the dirt. The other orcs grunted and laughed, while the larger one stood and dusted himself off.

Saberoth braced for another attack, but instead the orc walked away. Saberoth smiled and Aank slapped him on the shoulder.

"Nicely done. Why didn't you fight like that with me?" Aank asked.

"Maybe I was holding back." Saberoth replied.

"This seems odd to me." Aank started, "Ubers don't just walk around with the undead. Ubers don't walk around at all. Hell, if they did we'd have another 1000 year war on our hands. So what would make that Gohort venture down from the mountains especially with the Undeads? What would give him the gall to dare and attack Jaten?"

Saberoth took a moment to think, but the answer was clear to him. Why would the Gohort break his code and attack Jaten? Why would a trustworthy Commadner break his oathe and attack his leader?

"The ring."

croaton is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 06:53 PM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Yeah, let's just start another 1000 year war, why don't we?

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 06:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croaton
GoblinThief

Aank stared blindly back at Saberoth.

"Well if this one Gohort is on the loose, what keeps the others from decimating the Keldrin? Why don't we just start another 1000 year war?" Aank asked.

Saberoth lunged at him, but fell backward as the chains snapped and the poll they were attatched to quivered. Aank began to laugh uncontrollably.

"I just don't know! Okay? I don't know anything right now. We'll just have to get out of here and see what the hell has been going on since we left to secure the ring." Saberoth shot back.

"Yes, I've been trapped here much too long for my liking." Aank replied.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-20-2001 09:01 PM
croaton
GoblinThief

Aank braced himself for the attack, while Saberoth began to wrap the chain around the post it was attached to. The Orcs turned their heads and looked over, then began to walk toward the duo. Aank lunged at the first one, anctious to get into the fight, while Saberoth struggled to pry the pole up from the ground.

Aank bloodied the first Orc with nothing more than his fists, and Saberoth finally pried the pole free of the ground and took the second Orc to the ground with a crushing head blow.

There was no time for victory however because several more Orcs had seen the battle and began rushing toward the two men, now hunched in an animalistic-attack stance. Aank was growling like a wolf, and Saberoth tried to calm his nerves and think.

"Follow me, quick." He shouted, before turning on his heels and rushing straight toward the smoldering ruins of Jaten Outpost. Aank didn't follow, instead he stood and cried out like a howl, preparing for a fight. Saberoth watched him bend down and pick up a cracked War Maul and raise it above his head.

"Aank!" Saberoth shouted. Aank paid no attention. He brought the first blow down into the skull of an Orc that split him open in a grotesque fashion, while the others rushed at him. Aank began swinging the Maul like a bat and was crushing the ribs and sides of the Orcs around him. Blood splattered against his face and all he could do was smile and lick his lips, as if asking for more.

Saberoth decided that Aank wasn't worth it, remembering the events in the mountain pass a few nights before, when Aank had tried to kill him. Saberoth continued running, and vanished into a ruined building inside the walls of Jaten.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 01:05 AM
croaton
GoblinThief

Saberoth crept forward through the ruined building, darting from shadow to shadow and brushing away the flies only when he knew it was safe to move. Outside he heard metal against flesh, and metal against bone, but it was the status of Aank last stand was still unclear.

He stepped forward, this time inching toward a small crack in the wall. He peeked through it and saw a legion of Undead Zombies alligned in rows, all standing vigil with their weaponry.

"What is this? It looks like an army preparing for an invasion." He thought to himself. Suddenly someone spoke to the hoard, but it was out of his range and view and he could not place a body with the voice. The shouts where muffled by the battle raging in the field behind him, but Saberoth managed to understand some of it.

" ... not stop! Everyone will become ... ... enough."

"What does that mean? Everyone will become what?" He asked himself. The hoard cheered on, showing surprisingly human characteristics for zombies and necromancers. Saberoth decided that this was not worth the effort, so he continued on, until he found a ladder leading up through the ceiling and onto the wall of Jaten.

A ways away from the wall, in the field, Aank was slowly coming to an end. Claws where ripping into his flesh and his strength was leaving him, all he could do was run. Saberoth let a small smirk bloom across his face. It appears that the best of friends had quickly become the worst of foes.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 05:30 PM
croaton
GoblinThief

CHAPTER TWO: Friends and Foes

Saberoth crouched and watched as Aank was swarmed, finally being brought down to the ground by nearly thirty Orcs. He cried out in pain as one bit down into his flesh. SAberoth started to laugh out loud, because due to Aank's stubborn objection to have things his way, he was going to die.

----------------------

Aank looked up at Saberoth, across the field from him, crouched on the top of the wall, staring down to him and laughing. Aank summoned all his strength and wheeled around, punching the Orc on top of him right in the face. The Orc collapsed backward and rolled into the others, knocking them down like pins.

Everything inside him told Aank to stay and beat the Orcs to death while he could, but he knew that the only true enemy he had right now was Saberoth. Aank picked up the cracked War Maul, now bloodied by a hundred Orcs, and began to charge toward the Jaten ruins.

------------------------

Saberoth stopped laughing when he saw Aank charging toward the outpost. The look on Aank's face, coupled with the blood all over him, told Saberoth that Aank had selected a new enemy to crush, and it was him.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 10:20 PM
Carasser
GoblinRunt

Post Alive

The hard rain pelleted on their already soaked bodies. They were drenched and badly, bruised from the attacks of the Runts they had fled from. Death seemed imminent and everyone stopped at the top of the mountain, that they had just reached.
It was frightful, Kergulla started a fire and we all gathered around it to warm our chilled bodies. I stuck my hands out and everyone shivered. We were all shocked. Finally, we realised we were...
Alive.

Carasser is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Carasser Click Here to Email Carasser Find more posts by Carasser Add Carasser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
machwing
OgreHalberdier

um...you were a little slow there, and that doesnt have anything to do eith the story. someone delete that and this

machwing is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 11:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for machwing Click here to Send machwing a Private Message Click Here to Email machwing Find more posts by machwing Add machwing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carasser
GoblinRunt

Amazing...

Amazing, awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping, verbally colourful, mentally stimulating: these are the words I used to describe the Black Ring... if I knew what they meant.
Instead I gotta saw this is the most far out, wacked up story that rocks my world! I love the story and the several installments that are posted frequently.
This story better stay forever or I'm never coming again! This is the thing to happen to me since liquid butter!

Carasser is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Carasser Click Here to Email Carasser Find more posts by Carasser Add Carasser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

(whisper) Carasser, the thing is, it is one of the least thought out stories on the boards right now... He hasn't asked around for rules and probably hasn't read the storyline, otherwise he'd know that the 1000 year war woulda killed everyone ten times over, in their current state.. (/whisper)

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 11:18 PM
Carasser
GoblinRunt

Post Understood!

Strider I understand what you mean. This IS one of the worst stories I have ever read. I thought my 'Alive' possessed more beauty and deepth than this crap ever could. Point and case is that you don't have to tell me.

Carasser is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 11:49 PM
croaton
GoblinThief

The Death of the Black Ring, Thank You Strider

HE has a name. HE is croaton. HE can't find any rules, because YOU did not post any. HE has seen what you do to people who ask for rules (see folo's most recent post in the Character forum). HE is just trying to continue a story that HE started that doesnt necessarily follow YOUR history line. Is this not the STORY FORUM? Is this not where you post STORIES? Where does it say that they ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST FOLLOW STRIDER'S HISTORY? HE will tell you.

NOWHERE

DO NOT bash the story because you don't like it. RUN ALONG home to your DIVINITY Strider, because obviously this is too low brow for you. You see, instead of creating and living the life of someone that will never exist except only on the internet, I perfer to interact with THE REAL WORLD.

HE realises that you are admin. HE knows that you CAN and probably WILL delete this post or even perhaps this entire story. HE doesn't want you approval. HE doesn't need your approval.

Sip your wine and raise your chin, elitist.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-23-2001 11:57 PM
croaton
GoblinThief

(whisper) By the way Strider, thinking like that is what seperated the black population with the Southern United States and the jews from Hitler. If you think you're better than me, just say it and we'll get it out of the way. If not, stop posting in my story because you're interrupting the pace I'm trying to build (/whisper)

croaton is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 12:05 AM
Underloard
UndeadSkeleton

Heh, Strider, he is asking for it.

Go Non-Communists!

[img]http://www.flags.com/dreamimages/Flags/wavingus.gif[[/img]
[img]http://www.flags.com/dreamimages/Flags/canadasm.GIF[/img]
[img]http://www.flags.com/dreamimages/Flags/englandsm.GIF[/img]

God bless America!

Underloard is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Underloard Click here to Send Underloard a Private Message Click Here to Email Underloard Find more posts by Underloard Add Underloard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croaton
GoblinThief

What am I asking for?

I am asking to be left alone. If you don't like the story then so be it, don't butt in with stuff like "Um ... no" (see The Klepto) just because you don't like it.

Strider you started Divinity, and people like Divinity, and Divinity follows the history that you have established. I started The Black Ring, people don't like the Black Ring, and it does not follow the history that you have established. So what? You don't have to read it, do you?

Be a big man Strider, delete this post.

Ban me.

Come on, I dare you.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:07 AM
Underloard
UndeadSkeleton

Are you too stupid to understand?

STRIDER IS THE STORYMASTER. WE HAVE TO OBIDE BY HIS STORYLINE. (I like it too)

Go Non-Communists!

God bless America!

Underloard is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Underloard Click here to Send Underloard a Private Message Click Here to Email Underloard Find more posts by Underloard Add Underloard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croaton
GoblinThief

I said straight up that this did not follow the Tribes "HISTORY" that Strider wishes to uphold. If he wanted that, he should say it somewhere, or at least update his links so that I can get to the rules. Afterall, this whole thing is based on a mod. I was just using a creative way of getting across what people play the mod for. The don't want 1000 year wars (maybe some do) and strict rules about where and where not Ubers should be. I was using the Black Ring to get across that excitement experienced from the mod, using the vaguest connection to the mod that I could.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:19 AM
Underloard
UndeadSkeleton

RPG RP doesn't have really anything to do with the mod. The mod is just a very brief baseline. The storyline is based on a story-based realm. It is like any good rpg. a monster fighting midevel game, only it is a story.

If you don't understand this you are hopeless.

Go Non-Communists!

God bless America!

Underloard is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:29 AM
croaton
GoblinThief

HA-HA! I was hoping you'd say that!

quote:
RPG RP doesn't have really anything to do with the mod. The mod is just a very brief baseline.

That is exactly what I was trying to write. I was trying to write something that uses the mod as a very brief baseline, and nothing else. I could care less about Strider's crap, I just wanted to tell a story using everything that I knew from playing the mod.

I get killed by a Goblin in the mine?
Saberoth and Aank fight a Goblin in the mine, but one of them dies honorably for the other, or something like that.

Do you see what I'm doing?

If you can't, your hopeless.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:37 AM
Underloard
UndeadSkeleton

I see what you are doing but if you are going to make a story like this at least put OT: before the title

Go Non-Communists!

God bless America!

Underloard is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:40 AM
machwing
OgreHalberdier

Thumbs down

underlord, stop ass kissing and I didn't see any rules either, cause I couldn't. Also strider, some people have different ideas of a good story, they are not all the same. Strider, I sure am glad you aren't the T.V. censor dude. If you were, Every show would be the same, and that would be stupid. You have to let people work their creative juices. Just because an uber is leading a hoard of undead and ogres doesn't mean it'll cause another 1000 year war. Who said there was even a first 1000 year war in croation's story? Strider, if you say there's a 1000 year war in your own story, fine. If croation says people have giant asses in his story, fine. But of you say that there's things in a story that you didn't write, that just isn't right.

also underlord, my Ironsphere avatar is better then yours

machwing is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:43 AM
croaton
GoblinThief

All I can say, is AMEN MACHWIG.

AMEN.

croaton is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:45 AM
machwing
OgreHalberdier

opinion about the rules: the rules should say what can't be put in the story as in content, but it shouldn't say what HAS to be in a story.

machwing is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:47 AM
Underloard
UndeadSkeleton

Mach, take the avatar thing up with trident.

second. if you want to play completely by your rules get an ezboard forum and make your own storyline.

NEVER, has anyone complained like this. Get over it. Strider gives you a very large amount of freedom to work with. eg. It is not like The mino lair entrance has to be right next to Ethren.

Is it that hard to not post about an Uber? Look at Sleepless Nights. A Uber is in there, however, it is confined.

Go Non-Communists!

God bless America!

Underloard is offline Old Post 07-24-2001 01:52 AM