Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Mining...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Seems like mining is going to be a bigger part of game now, especially needed for smithing new things.

Was wondering if it was possible to (a) rent a mining bot or (b) posses a gnoll to do it for you....

(quirky idea---you can tell I don't like mining, trying to spice it up.)

GoldenFlight

Level:90
Remort:1
Class:Necro/Death Minion
Race:Elf
House Fenyar Website

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-06-2001 11:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

I posted a thread, probably last year =) as a "think-thread" to make mining "companies" profitable.

Somehow, having miners working for you would be beneficial both to you (the employer) and the miners. And somehow the miners wouldn't be able to become employers (mining skill required?)

How about we throw some ideas around?

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-07-2001 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wren
GoblinRunt

I personally think that the quota system was a pretty good idea. If when you mine a certain amount, you get a certain amount of cash.

However, since there's many diff. types of gems now, that might not work too well.

Since we already have houses (that I am unfortunately the only member of any of them :hrm, we could set up the mining into sections by houses, instead of having different companies.

I think it'd be cool to have house specific merchants and stuff, where people who mine a lot for their house could get a discount.

Just my 2 cents.

Wren is offline Old Post 03-07-2001 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Wren Click here to Send Wren a Private Message Click Here to Email Wren Find more posts by Wren Add Wren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

**** I just wrote a longass thing, pressed the wrong button, and erased it all...
okay me start again:

Okay, introduce a global economy.
The Global Economy never changes, its always 100 ( 100%, %'s are easy to make sense of)

and then each of the four houses, plus the three towns has its own 'piece' of the economy.

At server start, they would each have ~14.3% of the economy.

So set up another constant, at 14.3% and this is the standard economy rating.

Now, when people mine, they get gems just the same, but when they sell them, depending on who they sell them to, the sub-economy that the merchant you sell to belongs to will rise.

The farther an economy rating gets from 14.3%, the 'central' rating, the more and more money it takes to increase it more, likewise, the LOWER it gets, the easier and easier it is to increase.

Now, since there is a Global standard, at 100%, everytime one economy goes up, the other 6 drop by 1/6th of whatever the 7th just went up by, thereby keeping the economy balanced.

At the same time, there can be like 5 minute ticks or something, where the economies 'balance' a little, due to NPC trade.

Okay, NOW, another intesting part:
When a certain economy is good, the prices of stuff from merchants under that economy get cheap, BUT the price they are willing to pay should also become less.

I realize in a real world seting the price they are willing to pay would INCREASE, but doing it this way helps keep a little more balance.

its basically this that makes it harder and harder to increase the economy as it gets higher, cause people pay less, so you end up going to a new merchant, and anything sold to the high economy merchant get less money, therefor has a smaller effect on the economy,

I dont know if this makes as much sense written down as it does inside my head, and just looking at it now, it would be a lot of work...

but I think if it was made to work, it could end up working really well.

Oh well, I'll see what you all think

Old Post 03-07-2001 06:13 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

if this is going to be implemented may i suggest value tables? calculating all that stuff will be insane. (on lag)

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 03-07-2001 09:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

As a member of a house, you could go out on a mining contract to that house. You would be paid in gold persay once you reach the amount specified (would be based on lvl), and the house's economy would rise..

I really like your idea on the fluctuating economy

Aleman is offline Old Post 03-07-2001 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aleman Click here to Send Aleman a Private Message Click Here to Email Aleman Find more posts by Aleman Add Aleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Thumbs up ack

Boggles the mind. I'm still downloading the beta (just got accepted) and you all have ideas on fluctuating economies. Mir, with that one post, any ideas i had for mining just flew out of my head. Maybe its all that pot-smoke i was exposed to tonight, but i cant remember a damn thing right now, sorry :P ill have something later.

I hope to help, i tend to notice when something isn't right, because i usually vocalize it.

My brain feels like mush, but by the time this download finishes, it will be friday, and i will be better. Later yo.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 03-08-2001 05:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

Well, I used to be a totally MUD addict.
Mud is a Multi-User Dungeon, for anyone that doesnt know...
its an entirely text based MMORPG.

www.game.org if you want to check it out

I find the younger generations dont have the imagination to play text only games....

but I used to love em.

Anyway, game.org points to Realms of Despair, which is probably one of the largest MUD's out there.

I played it for over three years...
and it changed a lot.

Anyway, a MUD doesn;t have the kind of restrictions on it JI does, with Tribes, but a lot of the things from the MUD are transferrable, thats where I get a lot of my Idea's, including a variable Economy.

It works really, really well in the Mud, and I think it could work here if it didn't cause lag or anything.

Old Post 03-08-2001 05:58 AM
Mir

you can even give each group of monsters their own economy (seperate from the global... or not!)
and depending on the economy, they can spawn with better or worse weapons, and they can give more or less coins when killed.

Old Post 03-08-2001 05:59 AM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

kINDA OFF TRACK...but not...

ANy chance of adding pretty music to some of the crystals in the mine? Like maybe the super one...so we can all sit around and mellow out and mine and not play the rest of the game....

oops, never mind, maybe not a good idea.

GoldenFlight

Level:90
Remort:1
Class:Necro/Death Minion
Race:Elf
House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-08-2001 11:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote