Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Opinion on speech
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

I think speech should be revised so that you need a ton of it to talk globally. The game has been taking a turn towards more realism (falling is now really dangerous), I think to add to the realism you should

1. Increase the amount of skills necessary to talk globally (in the 100's)
2. Create a spot in each town (5m area) in which you can talk globally without needing the skill. A "loudspeaker" in case things really need to be announced. This would create a place where people would "hang out", making a target for thieves (they might be useful again)

Being able to say things out loud for everyone to hear detracts realism, but adds functionality. There should be a balance between it, like the loudspeaker area, or need for high skills in speech.

To deal with spam.. instate the flood protection, if slightly modified to detect scripts (if the same thing is said more than 4 times in a minute, mute the sucker for 5 minutes)

I'm looking for opinions on the subject =)

Last edited by Aleman on 03-12-2001 at 11:14 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Aleman is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aleman Click here to Send Aleman a Private Message Click Here to Email Aleman Find more posts by Aleman Add Aleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Maybe make a bot called

TownCryer

Back in the old days (not of rpg, of america, like 1800's)
these were the people who shouted out all of the days news and such out to the people.

Well, when the TownCryer hears something, he says it in global or something.

Just a suggestion.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

quote:
Originally posted by Aleman
To deal with spam.. instate the flood protection, if slightly modified to detect scripts (if the same thing is said more than 4 times in a minute, mute the sucker for 5 minutes)

Newbie mage:
#cast thorn
#cast thorn
#cast thorn
#cast thorn
FLOOD! You cannot talk for 300 seconds!

*thinking*wtf this sucks
*Newbie drops.*

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Yeh, is there a way for a server to discern from speech commands and things like #cast, #steal and #shove?

If so the 5 minute mute might work.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

Thats why admins can #jail now =)

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-RPG-secretagnt
TravellerPaladin

I like the idea of the TownCrier, but I wouldn't like it in the game. I think that we should leave the speech alone, because I hate not being able to ask for help globally if I can't talk globally. (if that made any sense). Maybe, we could set the highest we want any skill, the max of it, and once it gets that point, it can't grow anymore. Then, everytime the skill should go up, it can't because its maxed as high as you want it, it gives you an extra SP point to make up for it. This shouldn't, however, affect you if you are maxed out because of level limitations.

-RPG-secretagnt is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for -RPG-secretagnt Click here to Send -RPG-secretagnt a Private Message Click Here to Email -RPG-secretagnt Visit -RPG-secretagnt's homepage! Find more posts by -RPG-secretagnt Add -RPG-secretagnt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

I like the loudspeaker area idea, but i dont think it should go in. If there were 50 people in every rpg server i would agree with you, but as it is now, it would get pretty lonely without global.

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Point taken..

Maybe we could add more speech skills in?

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 12:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

You can always mute global if you don't like spam!
If they REALLY need to talk to you, they can always use #zone or #tell

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 12:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

Point taken about the flood protection, buts thats a tertiary issue.. I'm talking about the unrealism of "telepathic" communications.. or however we say things so damn loud that everyone can hear. If you want to not be lonely, pair up with someone and go out with them in a party. - this would increase the roleplaying effect, you would feel a need to play more with other people, rather than just racing to get to the next level.

Aleman is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aleman Click here to Send Aleman a Private Message Click Here to Email Aleman Find more posts by Aleman Add Aleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

like i said, that all well and good for a game where there's 500 people playing at a time, but its kinda hard when there's 12 people in a game and only a few on your level, and maybe one of them is an asshole or something...

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

On the other hand, I really dont like it when people keep asking for all the answers over global. People (including me) never look for stuff, they just get someone to tell them. But thats partially because there is no way to find out some stuff, theres no npc's shouting out useful information like every other rpg.

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 01:21 AM
Toaster
Master of Toast

Wink

I usually just hit my "Read the newbie guide!" bind for those people. d=

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 01:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

Humm.. I'm waiting for the JeremyIrons® Brand opinion.

Aleman is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 04:07 AM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

well, as one of the folks that tends to help others out when they ask questions, I guess I'd like to leave the talk stuff alone.

Mea culpa

quote:
but then father says, girls talk too much

Actually, the ONLY thing I would change is the fact that you can "hear" other people when they are buying stuff and talking to the banker and putting SP into various skills.

And btw, if I am NOT in the middle of something, I usually transport to where the person is so we can talk in zone.

GoldenFlight

Level:90
Remort:1
Class:Necro/Death Minion
Race:Elf
House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 04:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

Well, the bots are supposed to be like people.. but oh well. I'm just going to wait for JI's opinion.

Aleman is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 05:09 AM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

ignore global.

no one cares that they're missing out on conversation when they aren't playing on the server, so why should it be any different when they ignore global?

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 05:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

What about #battlecry

needs 200 speech (which is pretty high, come one)

and it gives you a 30 second, 40 point attack bonus.

#warcry
same as above, more powerful

#scream
does very minor amount of damage, almost identical to thorn.

Maybe make a wizard subclass called Banshee, that is good with Speech (2), and still decent with all the other magics.

maybe not.

Old Post 03-13-2001 06:23 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

i think npc's should have ignore global on. it is quite annoying to hear people say hi buy 100 100 30 while in ancient crypt or something.

jsut make %bottalk = false for global, please!

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 10:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote