Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Fall Damage...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

...will not be changed any time soon!

I just tried playing a Level 1 Mage and the worst accidental damage I did to myself in the goblin area of the mines was when I ran out of the colored room and into the small room where the ramp used to trap wizards. I did 11 damage to myself, leaving me 2 HP. (Note that I said "goblin area of the mines". That's where you should be. If you die falling off the Trav Den, then you're an idiot and your point is invalid.)

It's all about being careful. The current damage being inflicted for fall damage may seem high, but it is doing its job very well. People don't walk off cliffs anymore. People are careful on boats. People don't jump around carelessly off tall buildings.

If I were to reduce fall damage, this would mean a higher survival rate, meaning less fear. It is important for people to fear danger. And it is in my honest expert opinion that the fall damage is consistent with how I want this game to be played: People walk along paths now, and they are careful when they adventure on high mountains, as they SHOULD BE.

Now read this VERY carefully, I don't want to repeat this everyday (which I will probably have to): The game will change AROUND the new fall damage.

Example:
------------
Problem: Constant problem with players falling off docks & boats and dieing.
BAD Solution: Reduce fall damage
GOOD Solution: Align docks and boats properly so there is no easy way to fall off unless intentional.

Understood?!?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 03:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Aye.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 04:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Also, once you hit level 25, I suggest you wear boots of gliding most all of the time.

Recent tests show that major falling damages can be reduced to 1/5 of their original intensity if you glide down, instead of straight fall.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 05:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Next person who complains goes into a special file (like ban list) designed to ONLY spawn player on top of the new Traveler's Den without boots of any kind and #recall disabled? Transport/teleport also send this person back to new Den?

****evilgrin****

Does this mean I'm thinking like an admin? j/k

GoldenFlight

Level:90
Remort:1
Class:Necro/Death Minion
Race:Elf
House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 05:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Statistical Update

Hmm..

My previous statistics were false.

I tried the falls again, and again, and again.

New averages and statistics:

Falling from Traveller's Den Into Water
Without boots: 943.531 damage
With glides: 43.333 damage
With 2 energy ww's: 120.625 damage
With 800 energy ww's: 64.375 damage

Falling from Traveller's Den Onto Land
Without boots: 403 damage
With glides: 32.08333 damage
With 2 energy ww's: 89 damage
With 800 energy ww's: 54.875 damage

The reason why falling into water hurts a lot more than falling onto land is because inside of the little rivers are the banks which are very close together.

Therefore, when you jump off of the den into water, you usually hit the ground for 400 damage or so, than you slam into a couple walls for 200 damage or so.

Report Result
Always have boots of gliding handy. Especially at places very high up. I always wear my boots of gliding, even when travelling long distance, because you never know when a rock, ditch, or hole might pop up.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 06:51 PM
Vectrex
Quest Master

I'm just saying that no matter how much fighting exp you have, you shouldnt be able to jump naked off a 3 story building and live. blah.

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 07:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

The damage inflicted upon falling is NOT based on fighting exp. It is based on Race, Endurance, Armor worn, Level and Remort Step.

If you want excuses, fine. Creatures (including humans) in TRPG can occasionally withstand great amounts of fall damage. The higher their level, the greater the chance of surviving a damaging fall. No one knows the reason why levels can save lives, but they do... It appears to be common place for a very high level player to survive what would be a fatal fall for a low level player.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 08:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

I agree completely with the new damage, mainly because I feel the game was too easy before. This will help cut the whiners, which we DO NOT need.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 09:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Hmm...

Fall.. damage..

Logical....

Getting....... more...... damage..... on..... land....... than..... in...... water......

Not as logical.....

or.....

illogical.....

depending......

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 09:49 PM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

that's because the water check isn't fast enough... the water is a zone, and zones get checked every 2 seconds

So the odds of falling in the water and having it detect you right away are slim...

If you're lucky you'll catch the zone check as you entered the water and damage should be reduced by 1000% i believe

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 10:02 PM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Whats illogical about more damage on land than water?

would you:

rather fall 10 feet into an empty pool?

or a full one?

There is a certain resistence/buoyancy to the water that aids in slowing down your fall.

And yes, you could argue that at greater heights the body is hitting the water with greater velocity and it might as well be land.

Go tell that to the guys that jump off the cliffs in Mexico into the ocean. They seem to survive. Try that over land.

Unless I missed something here in which case you guys can chalk it up to me burbbling too much again.

GoldenFlight

House Fenyar Website

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 03-12-2001 at 10:28 PM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

i fell jumped off the colored goblin area of the mines for 25 damage, very nearly killed me but hey i shoudnt have jumped, it is just a habit.

the only this i dislike about fall damage is the very steep ramp where you spawn as a new char. took me for 4 damage just running down the ramp, as a level 1 with 1.1 endurance, it was painful.

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 10:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Don't run down the ramp if it damages you..

I just walk off the side and fall down for no damage.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:01 PM
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Fall damage is fine for me, so you won't hear me complain. However, there does need to be a warning, people souldn't exactly know how much damage they get, but they should know that death from falling is a very real possibility. If that works like i think it should work, less whiners, more population. But we all know things never work out exactly the way you want them to. :/

I will miss being able to high dive (and suvive) when admins make me platforms to jump off of. :P Did that in NQ once, just for the hell of it.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

Truth:

From roughly 2000 feet in the air (in reality),
it is safer to land on concrete, than water.

Liquids have a special property, They can't compress. (I'm not sure if ALL liquids do, but water most definately does)
What this means is, that when you hit concrete at high speed, it 'squishes' a bit, and softens the impact ever so slightly. Water however, doesn't compress at all, and because you are travelling so fast, the water cant get out of the way (because of inertia, momentum, etc)
and you go splat, and THEN sink and drown because you are unconcious.

Although personally, I like that most games let you fall into water harmlessly.

it would be NICE if water was built so that it simply inhibited movement, and if you were falling fast enough, you could still pierce the water and hit the bottom of the lake (river) for damage, although less than a drop onto land.

Hopefully the water system in tribes 2 will be a good representation of real water.

The problem is (Since I've taken a lot of college Physics) is that the calculations and such needed to appropriately emulate water in a game are too extreme.
And very few games use REAL physics formulae, they simply use approximations.

most games dont have an environmental gravity constant, and use acceleration formulas to calculate speed, (which would make my water idea a lot more possible) they just use strange formulas for it.

However, we're starting to see (especially with newer, faster technology) a lot more realistic, true-to-life games, and it rules.

I talk too much.

Old Post 03-12-2001 11:32 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

quote:
Originally posted by Zxqv8
However, there does need to be a warning, people souldn't exactly know how much damage they get, but they should know that death from falling is a very real possibility

Check the *new* Newbie Guide.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~rpg/sho...s=&threadid=184

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Well, if you were to stop talking, a good chunk of the ideas floating around this forum would sure be gone.

In other words, keep yakkin, even if you do talk too much, much of it is good stuff.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 03-12-2001 11:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

Would it make sense to check if someone was in the water whenever they took falling dammage?

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 12:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Yes, that would be logical Vec..

At least it seems so to me..

But the check might not be very efficent.

Since these falls are very spontaneous, you are usually dead within hitting the floor of the water area in a second.

Zone checks happen once every 2 seconds.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 12:27 AM
Toaster
Master of Toast

The check rate can't be increased, because when it was .5 it caused a lot of lag.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 01:33 AM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Vectrex, that idea is ALMOST possible. Unfortunately due to the new way of checking zones (containerBoxFillsets), I can't do this easily. It's possible, but I don't feel like putting the effort in to this right now.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 02:00 AM
Mir

add a line to terraindamage that just sparks an updatezone() call?

too much lag maybe.

Old Post 03-13-2001 02:33 AM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Like I said, almost possible.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 11:26 PM
DizZy
OgreMagi

LOL this would be funny if people start shoving ppl off bridges and they die heheh

DizZy is offline Old Post 03-13-2001 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DizZy Click here to Send DizZy a Private Message Click Here to Email DizZy Visit DizZy's homepage! Find more posts by DizZy Add DizZy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

Talk to Toaster about that one.
Been there, done that.

Old Post 03-13-2001 11:56 PM
Toaster
Master of Toast

Splat count=6.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 01:40 AM
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Argh, I don't even have shove yet

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 01:54 AM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

quote:
Originally posted by Mir

I talk too much.

No you don't.

Good lesson in physics. (and yes, I do understand that is why pilots would rather do forced landings over ground that water-- we used to test fusalage impact). I was thinking that most of the falls, into water would normally be from heights of bridges, docks, which are not that high. Falling into water from any greater height than that, is a calculated risk and you get what you deserve: if somebody in RPG is up high enough to emulate an airplane, and they are NOT an admin, they deserve to die!

YOu had a great idea! but I guess we need to wait for technology to catch up with real life. (oooh thats kinda scary).

Can you calculate damage from bridges (objects) differently than overall fall damage? Or is it one calculation. NOT ASKING For change, the programmer in me is starting to wonder now how this is all done.

GoldenFlight

House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 03:52 AM
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
Splat count=6.

LMAO

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 04:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote