Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Feedback update #4
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ugoslow
ZombieThrasher

thats a hard subject
it is just a game, but it is *somewhat* based on reality and *mostly* based on fantasy...... hence our conflict.......
i suppose we have to treat it as both, but well.... i still say it is a fantasy game with some laws of physics implied....

"Bring me the Sampo!!!!!!!!!"-Ügð§lð¥¥

Watch the Uber jam!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ugoslow is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ugoslow Click here to Send ugoslow a Private Message Click Here to Email ugoslow Visit ugoslow's homepage! Find more posts by ugoslow Add ugoslow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

AP physics chapter two says dont jump off three story buildings.

(actually my book explains the exact imact and speed of of landing, not the damage points :/ )

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 06:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

That was a very good question, and cuts right through to the heart of this entire subject.

Tribes (as a whole) has made such in-roads in computer gaming by offering the first person view...that it came closest to mimicing the much-wanted "Virtual Reality" experience.

JI and RPG took that experience, I believe, a step farther, by creating a whole "Virtual Reality" world.
And as it's creator, could deem whatever he wanted to be the boundaries of that new world.

Therefore, within THIS (RPG) world, zombies and skeletons and green goblins roam, and magic can kill them. That is the boundary defined.

So given those boundaries, everything within must be relative. That keeps the sense of "virtual reality" consistent. So if an imaginary sloth takes a swipe at you and you get damaged, and can almost die (or do indeed die), then it doesn't make sense that you can't hurt yourself by falling, or as someone pointed out, by drowning.

It just needs to be in balance. The damage points from falling need to be in balance with the other kinds of damage. Just as the sense of reality and fantasy must be in balance and the experience of fun/release should be in balance with the amount of challange/frustration.

It's late, my brain hurts, I've burbbled too much.

Bottom line: what's the system for determining how many hit points occur from a bot, and what is that applied (relatively) to the hit points from falling?

My guess is JI already did that with this new update.

I can't say I was happy with the new damage points, but if it's in balance with the rest of the game, without distrupting the fun/frustration balance, then I can live with it.

--Shutting up and hoping this made sense.

GoldenFlight

Level:90
Remort:1
Class:Necro/Death Minion
Race:Elf
House Fenyar Website

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 03-10-2001 at 07:02 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 06:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

JI, already tested your level 1 damage thing. I didnt know about the fall damage increase......jumped into gnoll pit (which is maybe 15 feet) and took a hit of 35hp and died.

I agree with you completely that falling should be more realistic, but that kind of damage on a level 1 (especially newbies) is going to make the game unfun for them and they will leave. I mean, so newbies i would happy to see leave, but the more population lost, the less popular the mod becomes.

Dropping the damage just a tad should be fair enough. i dun mind getting hurt and dying.

Sicne we are talking feedback, in the mines, also in the gnoll pit, i dont know if its a glitch or not, but somewhere in the bottom of the pit on the edge, you get stuck and cant move at all. maybe if you check worldcraft with he place lit up, you might see what i mean.

Video Being Fixed
Whoever b0rked my sig, don't56k'ers, don't try ^_^ | no more plugin dl!

Cloud is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 07:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Who cares about warning the newbies...seriously. They'll take a bad fall, die, and learn from that. You said it yourself, it's just a game anyway, why would it matter if they fall and die because they were careless?

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 01:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Oops didn't realize there was a second page... the post above was addressing issues in the first page.

Ok here are my wise thoughts on the matter:

What the heck were you doing in the gnoll pit at level 1??

I have a request to make... When you post an argument, please don't exaggerate circumstances. This makes it difficult to see the truth behind your points. Example: "player to fall and die every few seconds"

This does not happen. You have to suck big-time ass to fall and die every couple minutes even. The only accidental deaths that occur are those when venturing on hills and alongside cliffs and forgetting to slow down before reaching the edge. I think it was stupid that you had NO FEAR WHATSOEVER of walking alongside a cliff in RPG. Even when you fell, you just had to hold the back button and voila you magically grip to the cliff and can even climb it back. In my honest opinion, I would have MUCH MORE FUN risking my neck walking along the cliff and taking an accidental dive to my death. One thing is for sure, I would travel by boat. Adventuring would be limited to higher levels who can take occasional fall damage. Besides, newbies' adventures typically occur in the mines. And who ever said the mines were safe, with or without the presence of enemies?

I think that this whole concept is completely balanced within the boundaries of this game.

Your arguments are always based on extraordinary circumstances. Example: level 1 jumping off Yolanda... LEVEL 1's AREN'T SUPPOSED TO VENTURE THERE!

Get my point?

I'm not going to be touching the fall damage until I personally get frustrated from falling and dieing.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 01:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

Well, here are some thoughts.

Example:

Bob the newbie hits level 4, and decides to spend sp for teleport. He does #cast teleport dungeon and finds himself on top of Yolanda. He decides to hop down, and goes splat. He then does #cast teleport dungeon to get his back, and finds himself on top of Yolanda again.

Case 1: He realizes that if he jumps again, he's going to die again, so does #cast teleport dungeon again and finally finds himself on the ground. He retrieves his pack and shoots some spells at orcs.

Case 2: He jumps down again, goes splat again, spams "THIS GMAE SUX" a few times, and drops, never to return.

Case 1 is a newbie learning. This is good.
Case 2 is a good example of natural selection.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 03:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Good point Toaster.

A patient and deserving player (deserving as in, deserves to play this game) is a player who would inch off the side of yolanda and try to land on the big ramp to minimize damage.

It's a big structure, so jumping from the top of it obviously causes considerable damage. And if it really becomes necessary, I'll add a brick that pops out half way along the wall to jump down to.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 03:54 PM
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

Not trying to exaggerate anything. Mainly when you are a low level, the mines are the best spot to go. You gain EXP, and you have the crystals to mine to make cash. The only crystal you can hit now, because of the new setup, is the small rock crystal until you are at least level 25. (because you cant jump out of gnoll pit). Even with gliders i dont know, i havent tried. Most newbies take advice from players who have played. as most of us would do, at level 10 we would already be in yolanda. So from level 1, to level 25, you can barely make any cash (since gnoll pit is like a deathtrap).

This is just going to raise up the percentage of beggers on the server. i'll admit, i actually had to beg for a few things to just move along in the game. It's pathetic and i hate doing it. It's good i have understanding friends

*shrugs* But, it's your mod JI. what you see fit is what goes. these are just opinions.

ALSO! i dont know if you noticed in my last post, when you are in the gnoll pit, when you go to climb the wall, if you dont jump, i dont know if its a glitch or crack in the floor, but you get so stuck you can not move at all. i had gotten stuck in the gnoll pit (i was mining) and my DSL had died. when i logged back on the next day, i tried walking out of the pit as usual and couldnt. when i landed, i got stuck where i couldnt move at all. i logged off, a few hours later i logged on. thank god deus was there and i was assisted by a shove and two rocks to make somewhat of a ramp to get out. see if you can check out what im trying to say.

Video Being Fixed

Cloud is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

I forgot to mention... it's impossible for me to modify the gnoll pit in order to fix the aforementionned problems because the gnolls aren't letting me. I tried to get them to vacate but they won't budge. They say it's been their home for a long time and they won't move for nobody. Bob, the head Gnoll I was trying to convince, said that his grandfather lived there and pretty much built the damn pit. He said he felt it was his duty as a Gnoll to conserve the heritage of this old dirty gnoll pit.

I hope you can figure out my point.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 07:29 PM
Toaster
Master of Toast

quote:
Originally posted by Cloud
So from level 1, to level 25, you can barely make any cash (since gnoll pit is like a deathtrap).

Perhaps you have forgotten that there is a crystal in the goblin area...

And that sig's sound is annoying.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 07:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

ROFL!!

Hmmm....new player type: squatters.

They move into the hotel in K Town and you can't get them out! You can call them Trolls.

j/k

Neat to see your sense of humor pop out there, JI!

So tell me, have you named some of the other monsters after folks on this forum then run around and bash them? AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhh die you stoopid newbie-beta-testing-annoying-person you!

(Can I be a goblin?)

LOL!

GoldenFlight

House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 07:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster

And that sig's sound is annoying.

See Cloud, told you. lol

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 07:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

If he bashed a bot named after me, would it become a Flying Toaster?

d=

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 08:02 PM
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

LOL!

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 08:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

That was a fast reply d=

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 08:05 PM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
If he bashed a bot named after me, would it become a Flying Toaster?

d=

ROFL!!!!!!

***wipes eyes***

GoldenFlight

House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 09:13 PM
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

sig edited, no more flash intro, i fix in a minute

Video Being Fixed

Cloud is offline Old Post 03-11-2001 03:41 AM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Well..back when the armor skins looked the same on both bots and players, I use to spawn 10 JeremyIrons bots around me and I would pretend to walk like a bot. I'd run into walls and stick to them, then turn around while strafing and hit another wall. People would eventually take me for a bot then I'd hit em for 3000 damage =)

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-11-2001 05:06 PM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

ROFL!!!!!!!

quote:
here newbie, newbie, newbie

GoldenFlight

House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-11-2001 05:09 PM
ugoslow
ZombieThrasher

HAHAHAHA
thanks for the idea JI
im gonna mimic an orc, then get an admin on GSN to make like 10 lvl 5 ugoslow bots hehehehehe >=)

then............ muhuhahhahahahaha ill bash em for 1337 damage with titanium hammer =D

btw its a mage, just like all my other chars hehe

"Bring me the Sampo!!!!!!!!!"-Ügð§lð¥¥

Watch the Uber jam!

ugoslow is offline Old Post 03-11-2001 05:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ugoslow Click here to Send ugoslow a Private Message Click Here to Email ugoslow Visit ugoslow's homepage! Find more posts by ugoslow Add ugoslow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MadForIt
GoblinThief

In that case ugo, i may have to try out these new peircing wep's on some runts =D Man i love Backstab ehheheh

MadForIt is offline Old Post 03-11-2001 07:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MadForIt Click here to Send MadForIt a Private Message Click Here to Email MadForIt Find more posts by MadForIt Add MadForIt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote