Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Feedback update #4
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Should have posted this on 3 ---

Thank you for changing the entrance fee to uber.

500 is more than reasonable, it's quite nice.

GoldenFlight

Level:90
Remort:1
Class:Necro/Death Minion
Race:Elf
House Fenyar Website

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 12:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

I think the fall dmg is a bit high...like falling off Strong hold does like 180 dmg.

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

If you ask me, I think it's realistic

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Yes, there were quite a few of us on testing the fall damage.

It seemed a bit high, like 4 times in places if you're being careful. MUCH much higher if you're being reckless of course. And yes, I remember when falling off Yolanda was somewhere between 4 - 12 hit points. (Pardon me MadForIt), Mad observed that if a newbie died and spawned on top of a building in K Town, that he could fall off and die again.

Falling off the wharf (newbie catching boat) takes 25-36 hit points, messes up, drowns, and dies. Realistic, yes. But not much fun.

Some of us experimented and found that we could fall, and use WW and not take hit points. But most falls are accidents and therefore aren't carefully controlled.

It was also observed that Gnolls fall in the pit and die.
(I guess that's an ok trade-off ....hehe)

It seemed general consesus said that taking the damage down was a good idea....I'm suggesting 50% from where it is now.

ONE OTHER POINT: the fall damage really has folks thinking that maybe they don't want to go to the Ogre pit (across that Indiana-Jones-broken-bridge) until they are lvl 60 and can use WW to get across.

WW's also need to be used carefully, and not for emergency jump jets...because landings need to be soft and smooth, which doesn't always happen when you're getting out of the way quickly from Ubers and such.
(Die trying...lol).

LAST NOTE: the RAMPS in YOLANDA are GREAT!!!! And the traction is better. (And some folks are still having trouble getting out of the gnoll pit.)

GoldenFlight

House Fenyar Website

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 03-09-2001 at 02:45 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

You HAVE to make the monsters less subceptible to fall damage - the gnolls fall in the pit and die, and yolanda was filled with dead packs.

Aleman is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 02:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aleman Click here to Send Aleman a Private Message Click Here to Email Aleman Find more posts by Aleman Add Aleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

quote:
Originally posted by Aleman
You HAVE to make the monsters less subceptible to fall damage - the gnolls fall in the pit and die, and yolanda was filled with dead packs.

LOL

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 02:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Good feedback

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 03:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

In my opinion, the fall damage is good..

It used to be you lose about 7 damage for jumping off of one of the high walls in Ethren, a three story building.

Lemmie go try jump off of a three story building..

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dragoon
GoblinWizard

I think fall damage is fine, just will take some time getting use to. But please, make it so you recall somewhere where you dont have to jump off buildings... it really hurts =P

Dragoon is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 03:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dragoon Click here to Send Dragoon a Private Message Click Here to Email Dragoon Find more posts by Dragoon Add Dragoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

i like increased fall damage, but 180 off yolanda? seems a bit high.(though it might make glides have a purpose)

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

I have to agree fall damage is good. Hey if you fall in a PIT well you get hurt. Life is life.

Goldenflight: I LOVE MY COMP!
I really like the smily code on this forum. Good work.
Yes I agree also with Dragoon the recall point should be changed.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 04:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

ROFLAMO!!! GOOD JOB ON THE COMP-BASH!!!

And yes, the fall damage needs to be realistic, but not so unreasonable that it interferes with playing.

Otherwise you can just walk around and SHOVE monsters into the pit. Yanno, new quest, call it "Monster Tipping".

GoldenFlight

House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 04:12 AM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

My question, which is also my point: what were you doing ON TOP of Stronghold Yolanda in the first place?

FYI, update #5, due either tomorrow or sunday, has tweaked spawn point positions and more accessible boat via docks.

Also, the recall point (also the teleport exit marker) has been moved somewhere safer

So far while playing, the new fall damage has not once interfered with playing. I have a level ~35 character so my HP is high enough, so I can imagine that for a level 1 it would be more difficult. I'll give that some testing

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 04:32 AM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

At one point, the cast teleport dungeon PUT you on top of Yolanda. And you HAD to jump down.

I said I "remembered" being there and jumping down with 4 -12 point hit range.

I can't speak for the rest of 'em. Guess they were testing difference 'cuz they remembered too.'

And no, I am not going to speak about ANY of us falling on our respective heads.

GoldenFlight

House Fenyar Website

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 05:05 AM
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

I'm not particularly a fan of the high damage, perhaps it is realistic, and yes, a degree of realism IS fun, but as many have stated: It's a game. Maybe 50% of the current is too low, perhaps 75% of the current? Either way, you should put some sort of warning in, like:

"Avoid falls, death is assured if you're too high."

Something along those lines, a newbie isn't coming in expecting to jump out of the mines and dying on his way back to k-town. Think about the BIG newbies, the ones (like i was) who dont know about endurance because they missed it on the newbie guide (or didn't read it at all), they have about 15 hp, and jumping out of the mines could easily kill a damaged level 1. Those are the little things, i can take a nice hit, considering im a higher level, but not everyone is.

I also noticed we tend to slide around a bit, thats normal right?

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 05:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheMatt2000
UndeadSkeleton

Question

Just a question, (to ji) what exactly prompted the new "realistic" movement changes?

(I'm trying to understand this from your viewpoint, because my viewpoint was that it was 100% cool the way it was, but you already knew that. So i'm just trying to figure out why the change was nessessary yanno? I know that you put a LOT of time and effort into coding that little piece of script, and let me say it works perfectly... ...)

Matty

Level:1337... What else? 8)
Admin:Owner. Quest-Guy. 'Nuff said.
Server:Divine Mythical Realms
Misc:Creator and Co-Owner of DMR.
Divine Mythical Realms Forum and Docs

Last edited by TheMatt2000 on 03-09-2001 at 03:01 PM

TheMatt2000 is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 02:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheMatt2000 Click here to Send TheMatt2000 a Private Message Click Here to Email TheMatt2000 Visit TheMatt2000's homepage! Find more posts by TheMatt2000 Add TheMatt2000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wren
GoblinRunt

Personally, I think that more fall damage is better. It needs to stay up pretty high, as before I once jumped off the cliff near the Crypt, and only took 35 damage or so when I landed in the river :

Keep it high, I say.

Wren is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 03:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Wren Click here to Send Wren a Private Message Click Here to Email Wren Find more posts by Wren Add Wren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

well the newbie guide definitely needs updating with this release.

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 05:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

I'll try, but I can't do it before Monday, as I have a rather large history paper to write.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 05:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

Do my Physics assignment too Toaster.

I haven't even had time to play since BUpdate4, but I'm liking the idea of high fall damage..
Its not so much about 'REALISM' I dont think, its more an issue of balance.

Besides, you can get glides on level 25, and with glides, its tough to land hard enough to hurt yourself, if you know what you're doing.

T.G.I.F. I'll be back feeding my RPG addiction pretty quick here.

Old Post 03-09-2001 07:00 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

One problem- many newbies these days either don't know about glides or are too lazy to mine enough to buy them. Also, many people choose to wear paws over gliders.

But I do agree that falling damage needed to be upped- Before the change, I jumped off the highest part of the Elven Bridge, and only took 67 damage.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

I really have to compliment the music for Keldrin Town, well past worthy of anyone's playlists, If i had a reliable CD burner, i would put it on a CD. Its a damn good tune.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 10:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

wizards cant hit you.

The wizards can't hit you after they are done with there mana all they do is cast thorn and because there cast is too weak well they dont hit you. Maybe you should return the casting blade attack so they can do some damage.

Another: Maybe a new spell could work now, because the speed of all players was reduced we could introduce a spell to increase peoples speed by 10% a spell like boost or SpeedUp would work.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 03-09-2001 11:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-SB-SirSteven
UberFuffian

I remember JI saying he was going to have the speed uping things turn to spells instead of Boots and crap...

I don't agree with dat. A Thief needs to be fast, but they dont have crap for spell casting....

And I like the new falling damage =] Gonna add some more ways to kill newbies......

-SB-SirSteven is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for -SB-SirSteven Click here to Send -SB-SirSteven a Private Message Click Here to Email -SB-SirSteven Visit -SB-SirSteven's homepage! Find more posts by -SB-SirSteven Add -SB-SirSteven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

Zxqv8: If you like the keldrin tune, head over to www.mp3.com/Theoryoftrance/ and check out some of JI's other tracks, its all good ****.

AND: Steven: The way I see it, paws/glides/ww's should remain, they're needed for the non-spell casters, BUT, it would be nice to have spells like haste as well, cause then you could use glides, and cast haste on yourself.

Glides dont add any speed.. I hates it

But thats my idea...

Actually, I've been working on a few spell Idea's, and haste just happened to be one of them. I'm not saying more though, cause I dun wanna tell anyone aobut them till they are complete and you can see the effects of them

Old Post 03-10-2001 02:16 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Angel Kill
OrcRavager

Hmm...

I agree the fall damage is realistic to Life, but it's unrealistic to the Fantasy Game World. Honestly, I believe that the fall damage should be adjusted (reduced) to better fit the physics of the TRIBES world. Like falling of a raft. It can kill you, but in real life, you acquire the properties off the raft, in tribes you don't making it very easy to fall off. As for being on top of Yolanda, that's something you can't do in real life. Only in the RPG world, therefore one is at a larger risk of being hurt by falling. Also, as another point, almost all venturing through the RPG lands requires the venturer to travel through vast mountain ranges. Making it nearly impossible to travel anywhere far without putting yourself at risk of ding a horrible, horrible death. Basically, either stay in Keldrin and walk one step at a time, or don't play is what it comes down to. I find it just makes it more frustrating to the player to fall and die every few seconds and would cause people to get sick of the mod. I know I would. Please take any of what I’ve written into consideration, if any of it makes sense to you. Thanks.

Angel Kill is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 02:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Angel Kill Click here to Send Angel Kill a Private Message Click Here to Email Angel Kill Visit Angel Kill's homepage! Find more posts by Angel Kill Add Angel Kill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-RPG-secretagnt
TravellerPaladin

Cool

I personally prefer the lower damage from falls. It did a seem a little high, and I am glad that it wasn't just my weak character. =) It really could help to lower it a bit. Good work so far JI!

-RPG-secretagnt is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 03:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for -RPG-secretagnt Click here to Send -RPG-secretagnt a Private Message Click Here to Email -RPG-secretagnt Visit -RPG-secretagnt's homepage! Find more posts by -RPG-secretagnt Add -RPG-secretagnt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ugoslow
ZombieThrasher

fall dmg is annoying =(

the increased fall damage is REALLY annoying, and although JI wants to be realistic, one thing, THIS IS AN UNREALISTIC GAME!!!!!

I am carrying on Angel's point, but in real life magic isnt real, goblins dont exist, and people couldnt fly with the aid of special boots.

but that is why i play this game, to escape from reality. I think that the only things that should be realistic about this whole thing is gravity, weapons doing damage, and well......... um.... thats it...

=P

"Bring me the Sampo!!!!!!!!!"-Ügð§lð¥¥

Watch the Uber jam!

ugoslow is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 04:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ugoslow Click here to Send ugoslow a Private Message Click Here to Email ugoslow Visit ugoslow's homepage! Find more posts by ugoslow Add ugoslow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

Lightbulb Fall dmg and lower lvl.

I think this is a way to make fall damage equil to your lvl. Take the original fall damage(before the change) then multiply it by the characters lvl and there you jump off a 200 meter high cliff.. you die you jump off a ramp you get injured. A lvl 1 would receive 1 dmg and a lvl 100 would receive 100 dmg. This would even it out for the characters if that is too high you could divide the lvl by 2 and round up as the multiplyer instead of the lvl.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 04:32 AM
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

This is a very evenly divided argument.

Where does the fine line between fact and fiction run?

And how much does this TribesRPG mean to you?

Are you one of those people who say "Its just a game for crying out loud!" Or one of those people who say "Take the thing seriously, a lot of work goes into it."

How do you determine which is right?

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 03-10-2001 04:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote