Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > JI, this has potential...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vectrex
Quest Master

http://www.garagegames.com/index.ph...ology&page=home

100 bucks gets you the source to the tribes2 engine.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 04:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Yeah i found that already, check the News on this forum

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 05:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

So what are you going to do? Just do closed developement from the start and try to make an independent game? Start it out as a T2 mod and then goto V12 when scripting isnt enough anymore?

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 08:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-SB-SirSteven
UberFuffian

He's already started

Attachment: sshot0004.jpg
This has been downloaded 31 time(s).

-SB-SirSteven is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for -SB-SirSteven Click here to Send -SB-SirSteven a Private Message Click Here to Email -SB-SirSteven Visit -SB-SirSteven's homepage! Find more posts by -SB-SirSteven Add -SB-SirSteven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

so is trpg gonna stay free or.....?

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rakenne
GnollHunter

Pimp you whining already when there is a possibility that Ji might make few bucks with his work in the distant future?

Rakenne is offline Old Post 03-14-2001 08:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rakenne Click here to Send Rakenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Rakenne Find more posts by Rakenne Add Rakenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

/me shoots SirSteven with a Plasma Rifle

If you're going to make fake screens from T2RPG, at least make em more believable.

Old Post 03-14-2001 08:59 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

rak, really man dont be such a fag when there is no reason to be one, you just come right out and make a complete ass out of yourself

IT WAS A QUESTION SIMPLY ASKING IF IT WAS GONNA BE MONTHLY FEE, 1 TIME FEE, KEPT FREE, OR WHATEVER JI WANTS TO DO WITH IT

Last edited by PaladinPimp on 03-15-2001 at 12:56 AM

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

so ji, this webpage for V12 mentions it gives the code but strips the game specific ones, does this mean (i can only dream) rpg will become fully independant of tribes?!

im thinking 30 meg dl of engine, 30 meg dl of models, 1 meg dl of serverside code, and voila RPG2 is born!

(or ji sells cd's for those who cant DL 61 meg for like 15$)

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 01:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

ya forgot sounds

you have to distribute it through there site also, so im not sure if they would let ji distribute it through cd's unless he published the game, maybe next time i go to electronic boutique ill see trpg on the shelves

i wouldnt mind paying 40 for the game since its just like a full rpg already, the only major thing i see that trpg is lacking is a story line and a general direction

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 01:31 AM
Vectrex
Quest Master

Since JI hasnt replied, i'm guessing that either he isn't sure what he's going to do, or he's planning on going to closed developement and doesnt want to tell us and break all our little hearts.

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 02:27 AM
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

well vectrex that doesnt sound like him, he would tell tell us everything he knows... im guessing he hasnt replied because

it has only been an hour

since i posted.

lol no offence vectrex im just reading the timestamps too often.

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 02:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

now if they only had done this with tribes 1

Aleman is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aleman Click here to Send Aleman a Private Message Click Here to Email Aleman Find more posts by Aleman Add Aleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dragoon
GoblinWizard

JI deserves all he can get, 40 for the game? I would pay, but too much for others. I wonder if DYNAMIX would pay him or something?

Dragoon is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dragoon Click here to Send Dragoon a Private Message Click Here to Email Dragoon Find more posts by Dragoon Add Dragoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

Zelgadis, i was refering to the fact that he has not replied to [b]my[\b] post, which is a day old.

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 04:47 AM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

I would definitely go for this $100 engine, however I would still need the community to help me shape the game. The Tribes RPG is basically in CONSTANT beta testing, which is awesome.

I want to do this for TRPG2.

Whether or not the path I take will be with T2 or V12, it will be one of those and I will be sure that you can all play it as I code it.

The only question is how am I going to survive off coding for free... Well, if you could all download my music that would help alot. But I think that perhaps I could go retail with TRPG2 but not charge any monthly crap. One time fee and then that's it. If you buy the game, you'd get maybe some better start up equipment or something, I dunno

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 05:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

I'd pay up in a second as long as you dont make it pay-per-play

pay-per-play eats nuts.

And that would be extreme, considering the Servers are not in-house, (well some are), but mostly hosted by the community.

But a one time payments cool.

Fix yer damned master server so I can use Trancephyte

Old Post 03-15-2001 05:18 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

There are some obstacles to going retail. one is that all of the ripped music, textures and sounds would have to be replaced with original artwork (this is a BIG obstacle).

-If t2 supports playing mp3s in-game, you could put a soundtrack up on mp3.com
-Maybe it could be 1/2 way retail. The download version would be small with no special sounds and maybe a few custom skins and models. Then sell a CD on line with all the good stuff, plus complete quest documentation, maybe even whip up a little quest editor that works from within tribes.

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 05:28 AM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

say you charge $20 for the game

they take 20%

so you'd make 16 dollars per game you sold

thats still good but you prob couldnt make a livin off of it

maybe you could have a demo version, only has like ktown, ethren, mines, and yolonda. and only have about 10 weaps and half the spells. that would give people a taste of the game before they bought it.

and since the engine is open source JI could program his own MP3 player into the game, thats whats sweet about v12, he can do pretty much whatever he wants

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 08:55 PM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

the BIGGEST obstacle is sound. Not music, not prefabs, not textures. SOUND

T2 rpg will require new prefabs anyway, so a clean slate lets us pick out new textures to begin with. So this takes care of textures and prefabs/models.

Music will be taken from classicals that date back more than 20 years (no copyrights). This will be easy enough.

Sounds... that's the tough part. So far my sounds come mainly from Wheel Of Time. The rest are from Blade Of Darkness, and a few from Half-Life. This means I'd have to get a really good sound engineer; which is very difficult to find. I myself am a music guy, but not SFX. I could probably learn but I already have my fair share of work in terms of coding.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 09:06 PM
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

quote:
Fix yer damned master server so I can use Trancephyte

It should be working now (fixed yesterday, at least I hope it's fixed)

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 09:13 PM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

there are quite a few SFX cd's out that are non royalty, the only thing is that they are 30-50 per cd, some of the cd's would be fit for this game...

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 10:27 PM
Gul'Dar
TravellerThug

JI, I'm looking through all of my old games and am gonna be extracting .wav's from em to post on my files page....yer welcome to take em if you'd like....Sounds are from Lords Of Magic, and a few others like it.

Class: Paladin
Level: 104
Remort: 1
Admin Level: 2 (Guide)
-----------------------------------------------

Gul'Dar is offline Old Post 03-15-2001 11:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gul'Dar Click here to Send Gul'Dar a Private Message Click Here to Email Gul'Dar Visit Gul'Dar's homepage! Find more posts by Gul'Dar Add Gul'Dar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

gul, thats not gonna cut it because those games are copyrighted.

Vectrex is offline Old Post 03-16-2001 12:40 AM
Gul'Dar
TravellerThug

=P dude vec, have you played against runts yet? ROFL
Those sounds that you hear them making are from Half-Life...... It's fine to use little .wav's like the ones that I'm gonna post

Class: Paladin
Level: 104
Remort: 1
Admin Level: 2 (Guide)
-----------------------------------------------

Gul'Dar is offline Old Post 03-16-2001 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gul'Dar Click here to Send Gul'Dar a Private Message Click Here to Email Gul'Dar Visit Gul'Dar's homepage! Find more posts by Gul'Dar Add Gul'Dar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote