Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Universal Throwing/Sitting
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vectrex
Quest Master

Any weapon (except bows, but it might be funny) could be thrown and would have a skill requirement for throwing it. You could use a throwing knife just like a regular knife (melee) but if you had say 25 throwing skill, you could throw it. And if you had like 1100 throwing you could chunk a broadsword at someone. Throwing a weapon would take a healthy chunk of the weapons hp and if you miss (hits the ground or building) then it takes a lot of hp off the weapon possibly breaking it.

For sitting, you stand somewhere and do the sit command, it checks the ground under you to see if its flat, then it checks the ground a foot infront of you to see if it drops off enough for your feet to fit, if there is then it pops you into the sitting position (the one you fly vehicles in) and moves you down so your but is on the ground. Maybe it would put you into the meditation/sleeping style view too.

-sorry if someone else has posted any of these, i havent read the design thread thoroughly

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Vectrex is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 05:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Throwing is good, I remember talking about it in your server.

If you could throw bows, it would be pretty stupid, cause bows have no sharp edge to them... Maybe you can throw a rope, climb buildings with it and stuff...

Throwing arrows and knives would be cool.. Just make it realistic, I dunno about throwing claymores and war mauls...

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 06:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

Didn't you ever see Braveheart? But you usually wouldnt want to throw your claymore (even if you somehow had enough skill) because it might break or get lost or someone could take it. And throwing bows would just be to make the throwing system completely universal. And to humiliate newbies that you pk'ed. "want your bow back?" *wack*

Vectrex is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 06:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Ahahahah that is funny

Also, with high throwing skill you could also reverse a throw, sorta like how more stealing makes it harder to steal from you.

Like, if a level 2 with 25 throwing flings a knife at a level 124 with 1260 throwing, then the level 124, obviously, catches the knife.

Then the level 124 hurls the knife back at the level 2.. and the knife goes through him, and keeps flying all the way to Keldrin Town where it impales him again after he respawns.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 06:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SilverHorse
Banned

lol

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 06:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverHorse Click here to Send SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email SilverHorse Find more posts by SilverHorse Add SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Sweet! Does this mean I can go into the mine and throw rocks at the Goblins?

Does that mean you could throw **anything** as a weapon?

Can you **pick** somebody up and throw them? Kinda like #shove, only funnier?

OOOOh...wait...that means that you could throw somebody off high places.

Hmmm, you could actually use coins as a weapon, but that would mean throwing good money after bad.

And if we are gonna do that, can't we #throw cloak?
And temporarily blind somebody? Thieves could have great fun with that one. Go up to rob somebody, throw a cloak over them so they can't see and then take off.
I know, we have #hide, but this sounds like much more fun!

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 05-08-2001 at 02:41 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

Well, you can't really throw too well if someone is RIGHT in front of you.

Soooo... If someone is right there, it attempts to throw them instead. You need some certain throwing skill... maybe 300 skill+target's current weight. If that passes, then you can throw them

Skill-(300+target's weight)
-------------------------- + 5

Tribes meters.

So someone with 1000 throwing could throw an emptyhanded player 150 meters, AND whatever is hit takes damage and is knocked back some.

A claymore would be quite difficult to toss, but very damaging if pulled off. However, a level 1 could be right by what you kill with it and grab it and run, so you have to be careful.

A thrown bow could still smack someone over the head.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 10:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

I have an interesting idea to add to the Gem system (if it remains similar to what it is now)

I just finished playing through Final Fantasy 9 (I know you dont really want to 'copy' other games, but its a cool idea)

Anyway... make it so the Gems can be used to heal yourself... maybe dont make em very powerful, since we can get lots of them, but then at least golds or something can be saved sometimes and used to heal.

OR

Make it so thrown gems do damage depending on their rarity...
like...
throwing a keldrinite (and hitting with it) will kill amost anything imediately.
and stuff like rocks does just a bit less than a sling would. (depending on throw skill of course)

Old Post 05-04-2001 12:20 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Throwing Keldrinite would be insane... no one is that rich.

On the other hand, being able to throw weapons would be a blast. I can already imagine. *drool*

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 05-04-2001 04:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xanlok
GoblinRaider

I like the idea of throwing a mace and hitting someone with it as in knocking them out... kewl... and a thief having a special hit with a blackjack that would knock someone out... (blackjack is a old weapon, it is a black piece of wood, it was good for knocking people out) Would be fun for a alt to backstab...

Xanlok is offline Old Post 05-04-2001 04:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xanlok Click here to Send Xanlok a Private Message Click Here to Email Xanlok Find more posts by Xanlok Add Xanlok to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Postal_Service
UndeadSkeleton

Throwing would be a good idea. And who says the bows won't do too much damage? The Aeolus's Wing has those sharp thingies on it. Other bows could be made that have sharp edges, and they could serve different purposes. Say you ran out of arrows for your "Razor Bow" You could throw the bow, or you could run up and slash someone with it. This would take quite a bit of the bow's HP because bows are not necessarily meant for slashing, but this is just a starting Idea.

Postal_Service is offline Old Post 05-06-2001 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Postal_Service Click here to Send Postal_Service a Private Message Click Here to Email Postal_Service Find more posts by Postal_Service Add Postal_Service to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

hmmm...to bad we can't do the saturday night tavern brawl....

JoeSlayer throws woodenchair at GoblinBlaster for 47 pts of damage

GoblinBlaster throws table at JoeSlayer for 150 pts damage

(ie: #throwobject objectname) can be used on a list of dis located in a certain radius of a character.

Although the idea of being able to use ANY of your weapons to fight with in ways other than was intended is a pretty good idea...but it sorta heads in the direction of hand to hand.

I mean, I'm sitting here trying to slash my target, who keeps dodging just out of reach, so I run up and BASH him over the head with the heavy sword handle...hmmmm.

And does this mean you could throw your shield as well?
Thrown right, that could do some damage.

As for throwing Keldrinite...no way. But where do you carry your gems? I mean, can't you have a nice hefty bag that you can swing?

One other stupid thought: if you can throw something, does it pick up velocity and do fall damage or get fall damage?

-shutting up

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 05-08-2001 at 02:41 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 05-06-2001 06:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

i just put throwing knives into middle earth, sadly i made them sling ammo. still looks cool and i was just avoiding coding an invisible launcher item (that would be toucgh to make it now show in invo)

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 05-06-2001 08:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

Zel theres an option to show items in inv. Like when you play base and grap the flag. Its an item hidden in your inv =]

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 05-06-2001 08:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

Use this in item data

showInventory = false;

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 05-06-2001 08:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

kewl.
ok so i make a knife model that spawns flying knives out the front, what about when you run out of ammo, it will jsut sit there? and that whole loadedprojectile thing?

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 05-06-2001 08:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Actually Goldy, the vikings did that quite frequently with shields in RL. Throwing anything nearby would would be cool, and would allow for a new spell....telekinenis!

#cast telekinesis tabel1.dis

Greater skill, greater range....shove players/objects from afar.

May the force be with you...

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 05-06-2001 04:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Well hell, why dont we make an enchanted frisbee (throwing disk) and be able to chuck that at people? We could use the disc animation and it could come back, woo, boomerang, yay. Then we could yell like Xena and learn how to throw it so it bounces off rocks and magically hit people in the face without slicing them open in a horribly gory display.

But serisously, i like that idea, like in FF2, Edge could huck anything sword like you gave him during battle (btw copying the spoon 10000 times is really great, as is copying the excalibur because you can have him wing that too). Why cant we do it here?

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 05-07-2001 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote