Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > T2RPG design docs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vectrex
Quest Master

Orcs are so much better than elves. Orcs and Humans just seem like natural enemies to me, where as elves are sorta ambiguous (and wussy).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Vectrex is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Galadriel
Elven Queen

it should be Elves and Humans....

Orcs are too... well.... stupid

Galadriel is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Galadriel Click here to Send Galadriel a Private Message Click Here to Email Galadriel Find more posts by Galadriel Add Galadriel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

Perhaps every time a thief gets caught by a guard bot, the punishments get worse.

Example:

1 time: 5 Minutes jailed.

2 times: 10 Minutes jailed.

3 times: 15 Minutes jailed, X gold penalty.

4 times: 20 Minutes jailed, 3X gold penalty, a beating/flogging/caning on release.

5 times: Public Execution, with the whole server invited to watch. This death could be worse than a normal death, perhaps 2 LCK instead of 1.

I'd love to see a public execution. (=

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 03:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleman
OgreDreadnought

public execution - player is stuck in a barred box - so everyone can see him, and #setvelocity throws them back and forth and they slowly die, like 20 damage at a time. *whap whap whap whap* everyones laughing at them.. heh.. sorry im bored..

Aleman is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aleman Click here to Send Aleman a Private Message Click Here to Email Aleman Find more posts by Aleman Add Aleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

boo orc boo i want elves.

im assuming they would have a new model like little green skinny guys with pointy hats.

okok fine JI ill play t2rpg as soon as i go outside to buy t2.

oh and another thing, why not take contributions from people, the TC would grow so much faster and cooler. simply make a contract that says he is donating the work to the TC and will take no cash, other than a name at the bottom of the readme with 100 others.

might as well set the precendent and call it a TC soon.

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 03:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Elves vs humans is a no, as elves and humans are typically not enemies. I don't picture them as enemies. Perhaps later on elves would be added to the list of possible races to play, but for starters, it'll be Humans vs Orcs

And zelgadis, you make a good point about the contributors. Will do that.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 04:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PunisherOfGods
Punisher Of Gods

Smile

Very cool ideas...

A couple things that do remind me of old games, but I guess it really doesn't matter they're nothing big and will be more original in this game...

The scalps remind me of Baldur's Gate... but you only sold them for money. What if you had to capture people's essence or soul once they died. The soul would remain for a period of time and would take time to capture leaving you vulnurable.

Once a sole is captured it is brought back to the king which can then trade it to the god or deity for new magic or gifts. Each race would believe in it's own god or gods and can use the souls as offerings or sacrifices. In the eyes of god, the number of souls given to him would place you're houses rank in the heavens and would give you creater powers or gifts. Let me know what you think...

I love the ideas with houses and thieves. Great concept, should a master thief be able to have a chance at changing the lock? Preventing those in the house from entering?

I like orcs and humans, but it reminds me of warcraft... did you want to use different races? Maybe three races that really contrast each other? Big and slow, human and small and fast? Anyway, just an idea either way works for me.

Once thing I was thinking about the society was... does a king rule a house from which you could break off of and form your own? Or should a king govern the land and the people. So if you break off from a house you still have to pay a tax to the king, insuring that the original house keeps getting money instead of everyone breaking off from it.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

PunisherOfGods is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 05:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PunisherOfGods Click here to Send PunisherOfGods a Private Message Click Here to Email PunisherOfGods Find more posts by PunisherOfGods Add PunisherOfGods to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rakenne
GnollHunter

I didn't ment about code stealing or anything like that, I just like´the the way traps and stealing are balanced in uo. But thieves'(and murderers') lives would be too easy with 5 min jail. I thing the jailtime should be at least 3 min * x where x is the worth of items tried to be stolen in thousands(you tried to steal claymore worth of 100000-> 3*100=300 minutes which is 5 hours in jail). This would add danger to the stealing and would balance the fact that you work a week for a claymore and some thief steals it in 2 minutes. It would be totally unrealistic(and unfair) if he got out with 5 minutes in jail when he gets caught trying to steal your fullplate phensrobe and a claymore. Also all traps shouldn't show up to a master thief unless he is also a master in detecting hidden things(traps are usually hidden) and using the skill on he location of the trap. This would turn the thieving for just requiring skillpoints in to also requiring brains when you can get killed by trap and then jailed for 1-20 hours just by going in unprepared.

Rakenne is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rakenne Click here to Send Rakenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Rakenne Find more posts by Rakenne Add Rakenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DizZy
OgreMagi

Just about the races i think Cyclops with 1 eyes would be cool and it would be good if we could hold 2 weapons at once eg. hitting a goblin with a warmaul and claymore. left hand can hold claymore , warmaul on the right hand =)
Hope that made sense.

DizZy is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 10:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DizZy Click here to Send DizZy a Private Message Click Here to Email DizZy Visit DizZy's homepage! Find more posts by DizZy Add DizZy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

... holy **** ...

I stop going to the forum for like 2 days, and all hell breaks loose... this is pretty sweet guys...

I'll post ideas later.

Old Post 04-05-2001 04:09 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

I dont think you can hold a claymore in one hand. That reminds me, you shouldnt be able to use some weapons while your shield is equiped.

other cool things, where you are "born" could depend on your class to some extent, so thieves would live off in the woods somewhere and clerics and druids would live in the church or monestary. And then theives could move into better, more secret hideouts and clerics could move into cathedrals and such. That would make replayability so cool. Oh and fighters would just be normal citizens BUT, if they become good enough, they could move into the kings castle and become a knight of the round table or something. Once you move into the castle you get perks like really good locks on your stuff. Mmm...

cool things about the T2 engine- you can change the haze to any color and any distance combo, so night and day will kick ass. And about spawned houses not having terrain lighting, not true. If the spawned houses are saved to the map, the terrain will be relit the next time the map is loaded, since T2 does the terrain lighting at load time (i think it works that way at least, it seems to).

Vectrex is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 05:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vectrex Click here to Send Vectrex a Private Message Click Here to Email Vectrex Find more posts by Vectrex Add Vectrex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Angel Kill
OrcRavager

what's also really neat is the particle system =P, you can chnge particle colors and size, it's awsome...new spells can be made and all look different...

"You all stare, but you'll never see, there's something inside me.
You all stare, but you'll never see, there's something in you i despise."

Angel Kill is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 07:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Angel Kill Click here to Send Angel Kill a Private Message Click Here to Email Angel Kill Visit Angel Kill's homepage! Find more posts by Angel Kill Add Angel Kill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Well, I think there should be a merchant class too... That would be SO much like UO (A game I loved before).. There should be blacksmith classes and all! That would be great!

The merchant class could be very economic based, with HIGH haggle, HIGH mining... you know.... anything to make money in the new game

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 08:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

Last night i was driving with the wildcat on a T2 map, the map is HUGE!

btw I was going N for over 30mins in it and died and still didn't see the end of the map....

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 09:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

Deus, it may go on for ever but the same sections repeat. The size of a "repeat" is about the same as tribes 1 actually. I've been able to increase the size in the map editor, but then i end up falling through the terrain. I'll have to mess with it some more. I think there was a web page around somewhere...

Vectrex is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 10:40 PM
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

I know it repeats, lol

When I turned around the flag show 9999.0 and stopped there....hehe

-Deus ex Machina JI's l33t music for those lonely scripting nights

Happy Snake

Tribes stuff

onLoad=type_text()>

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

stupid question....

how come it never snows in rpg land?

If mountains get added, or a monastery, or a new realm on a mountain top, can it have snow? The snow/ice would impact vision/movement. And players would experience freeze damage.

At least add fog?

...I'll slink back into la la land now.

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 05-08-2001 at 02:45 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 04-05-2001 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mir

Well, Theres not much I can suggest actually, this all sounds really good...

one thing though, I think there should be two varieties of Traps...

Type 1 would be weaker, and you could deploy it anywhere (like what JI said.. similar to mines, etc.)

Type 2 would be much more damaging, but it is only deployable in "lock slots" So instead of puting a "5 slot" lock, on your 5 lock slot chest, you could put a three slot lock, and a two slot trap.

When the player goes to lockpick, he gets no warning about the trap, however, there should be a skill (perception?) that lets you detect traps...
maybe have it as part of track?
#tracktraps?
it will just say "There are X traps near you..."
and your skill will increase the radius at which you can detect traps...

and, will #disarm be LOS or range?
and will it be part of the theiving skill or its own?

I wonder if the skill system should be revamped?

Maybe... sort of add subheadings, like the ones we currently have, but have subskills, like mug, disarm, steal, etc...

have the subskills advance along with the main skill, and still have it so your MAIN skill has to be X before you can use the subskill... but maybe also allow people to use SP on the subskill ONLY, instead of the whole skill class, and just have each SP do like 3 times your multiplier, when added to a single subskill...
that way if you wanted to be able to disarm traps, but you never wanted to steal, you would advance your steal skill until you could use #disarm, and then just boost disarm, and get good skill much faster, instead of having to up EVERYTHING in that skill, when you only use the one subskill....

or maybe not, I dont know.. it needs work, but its an idea.

Old Post 04-06-2001 01:21 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sanders
GnollHunter

What if ...

Got no shield to use? Get another sword to use in the other hand (one handed ones). Guess you'd need to have a gauntlet equipped to weild two weapons?

Custom Equipment, like attachments to weapons and armors?
Unique spells? (everyone getting same spells, gets a bit old after a while)

Nutz, lost my train of thought, I'll be back ...

Oh wait, found it on the floor.

Fight Club, ummm we're workin on it.

Instead of having skills for detecting locks, how about we put something we rarely use to work, ahem, CONSIDER!!!, CONSIDER the pack before picklocking!!!! Small traps, should say "Shouldn't be too hard." and the Bigger badder traps would display: "Seems a bit risky...", and all that old stuff from old world consider, like: "You will NOT survive", and "Easy prey!".

If you are viewing sig, I am sorry for the size, but due to the large number of ppl not viewing sigs, I don't care.

Last edited by Sanders on 04-06-2001 at 02:46 AM

Sanders is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sanders Click here to Send Sanders a Private Message Click Here to Email Sanders Visit Sanders's homepage! Find more posts by Sanders Add Sanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Maybe a consider skill? ;-þ

Anyway... My firm belief goes towards shields... That was a great idea...

My list o' shields:

Wooden Shield: Vulnerable to flame attacks, breaks easily, quick when walking
Hero Shield: Can be frozen, stronger defense against breakage, slower when walking
Centurion Shield: Shield is very strong, very heavy, provides good defense vs arrows/bows
Phalanx Shield: Like Centurion shield, but has magical properties
Rafenne's Shield: Rafenne is a new god warrior that I have in the storyline. Shield is amazingly expensive, awesome magicdef/regulardef

Also, shield should be able to shove others ;-)

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

There are three overall 'Gods' in TRPG... War/Bad Things (Rafenne), Wisdom/Peace (Norumen) and a Master of Matter and Time (Phen) Yes, THAT Phen... I decided to promote him ;-þ

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 02:32 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

ALSO (I'm just remembering these things, hold on ;-þ) the storyline has a few stories, hooray. One of them is for Saere, and her travels around the big bad world. I need MORE!

Anyway... I also think we should make many things random... Spells, weapons (merchant idea is awesome), shield etc etc...

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 02:36 AM
Sanders
GnollHunter

Oh sure, don't include the well known evil oldbies. Maybe I should rock your chin with my club on an RPG server

If you are viewing sig, I am sorry for the size, but due to the large number of ppl not viewing sigs, I don't care.

Sanders is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sanders Click here to Send Sanders a Private Message Click Here to Email Sanders Visit Sanders's homepage! Find more posts by Sanders Add Sanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vectrex
Quest Master

sanders, #consider never used? You apparently havent considered the merchants desk in official beta 1 ;o)

big post, but good.

I just got a cool idea.
When you create a new character, you goto an observer point waaay up in the sky. Around you would be some clouds, some nifty music playing, and in front of you would be a god-like glowing ball. after a slight delay, The ball says, "The time has come for you to join the world below. Choose your fate." gender/face/class selection pops up. Then maybe it makes a witty comment about whatever class you picked, then it says "The world below is very dangerous and i have some words of wisdom for you. Will you hear them?" If you say yes it tells you some basics about the game, sp, exp, your house and magic chest, how to use consider to open doors and stuff. If you say no, it just says "Very well." Then the cool part, when its time for you to spawn, you fall towards the spot where you will live, right before you hit, the screen goes black, then it slowly fades back and you have spawned. cool huh?

The heaven/god area would be used for a few other things too. Like when you die without luck, you would return there briefly, this time with you would have a body, and it would say "You have failed me. I will return you to the mortal plane, but your failure will not go unpunished" Then you get blasted back down. Maybe you could go there when you remort too.

Also, with #onconsider and such, there could be a library (just like a real rpg! heh). There would be books about the various newbie guide stuff, plus maybe a map book, and maybe a few secret books on combat or spell casting that if you found, would give you +5 of whatever skill it was on.

That reminds me, there needs to be some way to record and read which quests a person has completed in their character file. Maybe a seperate file for quest info to save on execution. So reading the same book multiple times wouldnt work and lets say there was a dungeon where when you defeat the "boss" you get a shield of some kind. The next time you defeat him, you would just get some coins.

Vectrex is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 02:40 AM
Sanders
GnollHunter

Yeah, my consider button was busted, I couldn't consider anything, and I didn't know there was a #consider, heh. I'm just a old fart.

That god guy you talkin about, would that be the "Vision" from the older rpg ver?

Sanders is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 02:42 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

VERY close Sanders.. but not quite... Rafenne is a War god, and he is very very mean...

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 02:57 AM
Sanders
GnollHunter

Not your comment strider, vecs comment, heh.

Sanders is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 02:59 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

bah.... I'm to tired to notice simplicites anymore lol

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 03:04 AM
Vectrex
Quest Master

vision? I must have missed that version, what he do?

Vectrex is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 03:18 AM
Sanders
GnollHunter

well, it got canned after awhile, it was an option where he'd give you advice and what not, then when you hit level 20, you could request the "Vision" to start your own clan, when new people start, you spawn in a big castle hall, then that vision dude would ask you if you wanna join a clan or not. Then when you though your clan was strong enough, the "Vision" would take you to fight Umberminsk (Uber?) Clan, and beat the game etc etc. It was a tab option, "#8 Vision..."

Sanders is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 04:15 AM