Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Server Requirements
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

These are all guesses on what the specs for a server might be. I'm no guru on running a server, but I don't think this would be a bad template on gauging how your server will perform.

Server
Minimum:
Pentium 3 700 Mhz
256 MB RAM
High bandwith connection (DSL, Cable, etc)

This server should run good with about a 20 player limit.

Recommended:
Pentium 3 1,000 Mhz (1 Ghz)
320 MB RAM
High bandwith connection (Cable +)
Linux Operating System

Hopefully will run with a 60 player limit.

Optimum
Pentium 4 1700 Mhz (1.7 Ghz)
512 MB RAM
OC3 connection
Linux Operating System

This bad-boy might be able to handle upwards 100 people.

-----------

Things To Consider:

- Smarter Bots mean More CPU Power (Unless they are coded VERY well). Try hosting a server with 40 bots in Tribes 2 and see if your server chugs...

-100s of DYNAMIC deployables spawned on the server at once (AKA: Houses)

-13 towns according to Strider... times that by 5 (to be conservative) for the number of bots in each... 65 bots in the towns alone. 20 wandering bots. 15 more for family bots... 100 bots so far.

-Regular events on server... hitting the ore pile, hitting a baddy, casting a spell. You get the idea.

Last edited by GiB WaKeR on 04-20-2001 at 06:40 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-19-2001 03:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Something to consider...
Don't assume something is being added to the game unless I gave it the final "go". There's no way there will be 13 towns or whatever. 2 towns, that's what I'm doing. Maybe another 2 more, one for each race, so 2 towns per race total.

issues:
-smarter bots: they lag because of all the script code T2 uses. Trust me there's PLENTY to remove.

-Regular events on server: no problem there

-100s of dynamic models: Indeed an issue. I'm guessing the best way to go about this is blank LOD's for all buildings. I'm already investigating what happens when thousands of interiorshapes are added in a map despite a blank LOD that prevents any of them from actually being rendered when far enough away

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 04-20-2001 04:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FENIX
UndeadSkeleton

fog is always a good way to help with that sorta thing

or just mess with that stuff then CALL it fog

gth=4)">
gth=7)">Every Morning, A Warrior Wakes Up Knowing That He Has To Run Faster Than The Slowest Runt Or He Wont Level Up!

Every Day a Runt Wakes Up Knowing That He Has To Run Faster Than The Fastest Warrior Or He'll Die! !

Wether Your A Warrior Or A Runt, Every Morning When You Wake Up, You'd Better Be Running!!

My House----My Dad's-->

FENIX is offline Old Post 04-20-2001 04:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FENIX Click here to Send FENIX a Private Message Click Here to Email FENIX Visit FENIX's homepage! Find more posts by FENIX Add FENIX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Since you hadn't said anything I had to go with the next best thing... and since Strider is the official story master that seemed like a good place to start from for the purposes of speculation. I didn't mean to mislead people by it, but I know the more towns there are means the more lag (as bots have to populate it) so if I wanted to try to give a fairly accurate specs I needed to go by a source, and frankly I had no idea what you were planning...

I'm not sure how it all works, but I think that by just processing moving data and just "regular events" it uses up CPU cycles (actually, I'm really sure it does), which is why if you join a 60 player server on a 500 mhz server it will lag because theres way too much "regular events" going on. So when thinking of your server, you should think of how many people will be on there and how your processor would handle thoose "regular events". ("Regular Events" is anything a player would do, from moving to firing a weapon (or swinging a sword))

For the dynamic objects, the LOD might help the Client, but for the server the LOD has no effect for it since calculating LOD is all Client-Side... And every object takes up some cycles, so make sure to also consider that as a server host.

I'm not sure on how that many objects effect a server, but, again, I was SPECULATING it will take up some CPU power, which it undoubtably will. So I also wanted to let people know to consider that as well.

Last edited by GiB WaKeR on 04-20-2001 at 06:38 AM

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-20-2001 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

My two cents:

Smart bots: #1, you van't have 40 bots in T2, only 16... I've tried... I DO have the game... Thank God...

System Requirements: Well, DUH!

Graphic problems: What the hell? We can remove all the excess crap from the maps to make it look great! Water has NO lag whatsoever on the system (ripped from TribalWar forums) because Rick1111 coded it himself, and he is probably one of the best at Dynamix...

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 04-21-2001 02:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Makaze has fogless maps ( Grievers breathe methane on their planets, so no fog would be there ;-þ ) and they somehow limited visible distance... Very cool... Something to consider, JI?

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 04-21-2001 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

"Smart bots: #1, you van't have 40 bots in T2, only 16... I've tried... I DO have the game... Thank God..."

It slows you down alot with just 16 bots, so I was saying imagine it with 40. I'm sure you can ripped some of the crap out of them and it will be a faster process, but when I think of what you have to ADD to get them to be compatible with RPG (use stashes, know where houses are, know how to get in house, must be in close to use weapons, to aim a ranged weapon, etc, etc, etc), I don't think you'll see a "night & day" difference in performance. Plus, the AI code WAS done by a professional at Dynamix, so just some food for thought.

"System Requirements: Well, DUH!"

Uh... ?

"Graphic problems: What the hell? We can remove all the excess crap from the maps to make it look great! Water has NO lag whatsoever on the system (ripped from TribalWar forums) because Rick1111 coded it himself, and he is probably one of the best at Dynamix..."

Double Uh... ??? Graphics have nothing to do with a server... thats all Client-side... And, water DOES slow you down since it IS made up of polygons, but the amount is minimal, so you don't even notice... but not sure where that came in...

"Makaze has fogless maps ( Grievers breathe methane on their planets, so no fog would be there ;-þ ) and they somehow limited visible distance... Very cool... Something to consider, JI?"

Thats also very easy to do, just boot up the editor and change the command line that says "visable distance" under the sky I believe... (I might be wrong on the sky part, but its one of thoose functions for the overall map enviroment) No bells and whistles to that...

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-21-2001 03:45 AM
Mir

Look, when you're talking about billions of objects just sitting at rest in a server, that really has VERY little impact on the SERVER itself, since the server doesn't give a **** about polygons, the server never renders anything.

Rendering and display is entirely client side.

Also, even with T1RPG, JI had a lot of the non-essential things done client side only, because that kills server lag too, I'm sure it will be the same here.

When you have 16 friggen bots running around your map, the game also has to prepare everything for rendering, has to decode the MP3 music (if you haven't turned it off yet like I told everyone too) and a few other things the server just WONT do.

Honestly, I'd REALLY suggest you just wait until we have a basic release of T2RPG to muddle with before you start saying how laggy its gonna be, because theres really NO way to tell until we have a working model.

Plus, nobody really knows what goes on in those dark coding recesses of JI's brain, and he may end up doing all sorts of wacky code alterations to get speed speed speed!

So really, just wait and see, its about all we can do.

Old Post 04-21-2001 09:43 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

alot of people use 56k

56k runs pretty bad at 32 people

so even IF a server could hold 60 people, that doesnt mean you should

plus dungeons and everything would be filled up, and trying to lvl up would be pure hell even with the party system.

i dunno if a server could handle 40 bots or not, havnt seen it so i cant say anything

trpg could handle quite a few stupid bots

i hope none of the t2rpg will have wind walkers

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 04-21-2001 10:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

1. You guys worry too much.

2. Mir or whoever said polys barely affect the server is absolutely corrrect.

3. Yeah, JI should be able to get about double the speed out of the bots by ripping all the crap out.

4. Get a fast enough computer/Overclock the one you have and you shouldn't have any more problems...

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

Middle Earth, level 5 Admin.

Mystic Demon RPG, level 4 Admin.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 04-21-2001 10:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Well, thats basically all the crap I said... but uh, good recap. Simplifies thing.

Also, I forgot about the fact that if you host your own server (non-dedicated) and turn on bots, your comp is also doing the displaying aswell as the bots and world physics... Good thinking there Mir!

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-22-2001 12:59 AM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

PaladinPimp:
I'm on a 28.8 ( >:( ) and I run O.K in 50ish servers... Sure it may lag in really heavy places, but I live.

Have you changed your network settings down? If so, try 28.8, might help your performance with less packet (bandwith).

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-22-2001 01:13 AM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Oh yeah, I've got a 56K modem, never connects faster than 26000, but I never have lagging problems except when running either more than 2 sessions at once, or am trying to host a multi player server. Niether of those is reccomended anyhow, so 56K should work fine with loads of players and bots.

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 04-22-2001 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

Would this server be good?

1.33 GHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird
512 RAM
20 Gigs
250-300 Kilobits per second upload (Cable)

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 04-23-2001 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SolarRPG Click here to Send SolarRPG a Private Message Find more posts by SolarRPG Add SolarRPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Looks great assuming you have good download speeds as well...

How bout this.

600 mhz celeron, OCed to 1 ghz. (Will be upgrading later on this summer)
shared T1 line. (do not have until end of year, so no stats)
256 meg ram PC 133
45 Gig HD.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 04-23-2001 02:46 AM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Solar: Looks tight

DeathMerchant: Should be ok, depending on that T1. (Nice overclocking job BTW, it runs fine at 400 more mhz than recommended?

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-23-2001 08:18 PM