Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Linked Server and Maps... A Real MMRPG Stretching A TRUE World?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mir

Just a Quick Question, Mostly for JI...

How likely is this mult-server stuff anyway?

I mean, I know you said you were going to add *some* functionality for it...

but people are getting pretty worked up on the message board here, and maybe we should all spend our time developing odeas that you actually want to implement, instead of things like this... ...unless you actually want to implement something lke this.

Also, on a more general note... wouldn't it be easier to get a fairly decent working game (like where T1RPG is) out of Ironsphere, BEFORE messing with stuff like this?

Hmm maybe not.. I dunno.

I still need to buy T2.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-28-2001 01:40 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Developers know what they're doing, and they do try out different methods, including restricting player's access to specific locals. Thats ok, as long as its for a good reason other than "your level isn't high enough".

I am all for restricting quests and such for a reason, but where you can go should be a simple... Unless theres a technical (hardware), or realistic (paying for a boat when you don't have the cash) reason why you wouldn't be able to walk freely you should allow players their freedom.

A game which has good restrictions on it is Diablo II, which restricts you so the story may progress, and does it very effectively. But, that is not an MMRPG, it is a very story driven game, so that method is effective in that genre.

Last edited by GiB WaKeR on 04-28-2001 at 11:11 PM

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 02:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Settle down, children, and get back on topic.

I prefer realistic limits. If you cannot hire a boatsman and his boat, you are not going to get to that continent. Also, has anyone considered the concept of keys being required to go through a locked gate? Keys would appear randomly and infrequently on high level bots. Yes, it's vaguely possible that some low level could get his hands on one. It's also possible to trap high level bots. However, the odds of doing both of those, especially with the new AI, AND surviving, is extremely slim.

Another option would be to have the teleport require a large sum of cash, or a set numer of heavy objects. If they can't carry it, they won't get there...

Best yet, place the gate on a raised platfrom, with a circular staircase leading up. around the bottom have fairly high level magical bots. Try to trap them and feel the pain....

Yes, all of these can be circumvented with help from a few skillful high level players, but the vast majority of newbies will stay where they belong.

PS: PaladinPimp, a lev 1 cannot kill an uber, they heal too fast. You lose luck fast if you screw up the trap. I had to try. :-)

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

Middle Earth, level 5 Admin.

Mystic Demon RPG, level 4 Admin.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 05:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

I'm hoping for the 15%-25% exp thing anyways... It stops people from really power levelling and keeps low levels away from the high level stuff. It works like this:

The max ammount of EXP you can gain per kill is 25% of your total level. By doing this, it prevents people from skipping over 10 levels at a time by killing an uber, and keep people from hunting ubers and going after too-hard-of-stuff.

Having stuff like thoose (the mages etc) is great. That is a realistic and feasible restriction. But to have a cheesy ass message about not being strong enough to go somewhere might get a bit tiresome... Having gold is a good restriction since you'll need buds to give it to you if your a newbie, and thats realistic. You need the G'z to go places.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 06:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

i made fight club...the only thing ive ever seen that has got 16 people on a server to come to the same exact place for the same reason

the whole server...even that lvl 1 newbie

if im a newbie and dont know what im doing, how come everyone likes fight club? and whys it replacing the arena?

hey, i like your half baked effort burning sands also

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 06:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Burning sands????

People love to fight people. I don't know why, but it might be because people are more challenging.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 06:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

how 'bout good old fashioned manners?

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 05-08-2001 at 04:34 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 10:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

I like this quote from the other thread:

quote:
Originally posted by ~SadFriend~
I don't think anyones getting mad or flaming anybody..

But if they are, lets keep this to a simple debate, at the most. We are just putting in suggestions, and they are getting refined here so that Mat can take them and stick them in the game if they are any good.

If someone thinks that the game promotes drugs, let them have their opinion.

If someone doesn't think the game should be so realistic, let them have their opinion.

If someone thinks that everything is fine and there shouldn't be any changes, let them have their opinion.

A formal rebuttal is fine too. Just don't cross the line. We are here so we can get ideas straight and presentable. Not to argue and flame.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 10:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SilverHorse
Banned

Gob, hate to tell you, but we had Fight club long before the movie. So please. stop your n00bish ways, because you don't even know what your talking about.

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverHorse Click here to Send SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email SilverHorse Find more posts by SilverHorse Add SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Sorry guys, I never should have let this post get off topic and get into some weird arse pissing contest.

I went through and ed./del. anything of mine that is off topic or without relevance that I posted before.

Lets start over Paladin, I'm not out to make enemies. I guess its just been one hell of a rough week...

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 11:15 PM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

s'ok. nice apology .

and I'm really sorry you've had a bad week. Those aren't fun. :(

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 04-28-2001 11:52 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

OK, now about bots on the maps....should we have them entirely random on each server, or should we have them semi-segregated by difficulty?

I favor some newbie dungeons where beginners can hunt bunnies or whatever to start off.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 04-29-2001 01:07 AM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

GoldenFlight: Your name makes sense now... must be that wit and sparkle you have about, that gives you that curiously warm golden light...

"My character must be comatose by now."

lol, now that sure birghtens up my day!

-------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't say "random"... probably will be the same as it is now in TRPG (except with spawn spheres that could place bots anywhere within a big region) where JI sets the level range that bots can spawn and where they spawn... but on tougher continents we could go absolutely wild with it and make huge spawn spheres where pretty much anything goes... anywhere!

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-29-2001 02:01 AM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

LOL

GiB: are you sure that isn't GLib? Smooth talker there. Thanks though. Happy to brighten up anybody's day. (see avatar).

DeathMerchant: yes, we need to provide some "safe" areas for newbies.

GiB: I like the idea of areas for higher levels where anythings goes. I admit, I am awfully fond of orcies, and when I get a chance, I go back and bash em, even if I'm like a level 50. It's refreshing to run into Goblins every once in a while, helping newbies. It's so satisfying to bash something and kill it in one hit! LOL.

And THEN go back to big bad guys. Change up keeps you on your toes.

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 05-08-2001 at 04:35 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 04-29-2001 02:39 AM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Heh, smooth as gravel baby.

Can't spread yourself too thin now, I'm sure the orcs and goblins get jealous too when they don't get hammered (ed: the weapon ) by the illustrious Goldy.

-------------------

I'm thinking long-term here:
First 2 continents are "regular", as in they have 1 or 2 high level dungeons each, and maybe 2-3 low to mid level dungeons. Then, as more continents come out, there will probably be some really hard ones, where the whole island is a spawn sphere, so in theory, a big mean lvl 100 bot could spawn on this untame land... RIGHT ON THE DOCKS! Now wouldn't that be a shock!

And then, you'd start to see the weird/groovy stuff get to added in, like flying cities and weird dimensional rifts... etc, etc, etc.

[ed: Anyone notice how my sig. manages to mess up the whole thread? Not too shabby for a fluke... Anyone know whats causing it? ]

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-29-2001 03:18 AM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

alright gib, thats cool with me

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 04-29-2001 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Thanks PP.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 04-29-2001 04:01 AM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Is there a table in your sig? That can do wierd things to your sig...(note that I am far too lazy to check the source)

Also, I love Yolanda, it's a great arena. I go there now and then, no matter what level I am. I stockpiled nearly 200 estones the other day....

Gear:twin f14 courier spacecrafts, everything you could possibly want, except badges. Will pay 1.5 mil for exp badge.

Middle Earth, level 5 Admin.

Mystic Demon RPG, level 4 Admin.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 04-29-2001 04:11 AM