Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Complete Interview With Ji
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Here is the complete IRC chat interview dialouge with Ji from www.tribescenter.com. A lot of information was shared by Ji about T2.

Start Interview Dialouge

[Reaver|TC] Okay guys, welcome to the Tribes RPG Chat hosted by Tribes Center! Thanks for coming.. We'll start off with an interview between JI and Fatmango, then open it up for public questions. Keep the irrelevant babble to a minimum and wait your turn or we'll have to moderate the channel

[Fatmango|TC] Recently you posted what the future of Tribes RPG was... and then you had a link to where Garage Games is licensing the engine. Does that mean you plan on making an entirely new game?

[JeremyIrons] Well, most of the code from T1 RPG is very modular, which means I'll be able to port most of it over in a matter of weeks/months.

[JeremyIrons] So T2 RPG will essentially be an extension of T1 RPG…

[JeremyIrons] …and will continue to grow just as T1 RPG has over the past 2 years.

[Fatmango|TC] How do you plan to differ from common Tolkien type RPG's and Asheron’s Call? With new content?

[JeremyIrons] Well, it'll be free, that's one of the things.

[JeremyIrons] If a publishing deal comes along, there DEFINITELY won't be any pay-per-month fees etc.

[JeremyIrons] A one-time fee is all I'd ask for.

[JeremyIrons] Plus, seeing as server owners are independent, paying per month wouldn’t work anyway.

[Fatmango|TC] So its always going to be just a hobby or do you plan on making a business out of this successful mod?

[JeremyIrons] I want to make a business out of this, but I'll continue to work on it despite cash flow.

[Fatmango|TC] With the added single player capabilities of Tribes 2, will you be adding an advanced story line to the game?

[JeremyIrons] That's a good idea =)

[JeremyIrons] That's not planned at the moment, but it's a good idea.

[Fatmango|TC] And, with that I'll ask Reaver to turn it over to the floor!

[Reaver|TC] Now we're going to have a public question period. To keep the channel from getting flooded too much, MSG me or Fatmango and we'll give you voice so you can ask your question.

[Imposter] You didn't really answer this above, so: Are you planning on licensing the v12 engine and working with Garage Games in order to release a stand alone version of Tribes RPG?

[JeremyIrons] I plan on it, but not right away. I want to work with Tribes 2 simply because I want to have players constantly beta-test T2RPG.

[JeremyIrons] Once a good enough product is established, then probably moved to V12 to reach a broader audience.

[Reaver|TC] NuTz, you have the floor

[|NuTz|Mantra] Have you ever considered taking the current Tribes-ish gameplay and adding a story line to that? By that I mean you “lev” up like a normal RPG, but the battles still feel FPS-like. I played the TRPG mod and I thought it was good, but like all RPGs, I got bored with the battles.

[JeremyIrons] That's how TRPG was before, actually...it's been in development for 2 years and for a large portion of this time, TRPG was with blasters and disc launchers.

[JeremyIrons] It was cool, but the masses wanted swords…I did too.

[|NuTz|Mantra] Does it have the story line though?

[JeremyIrons] I think they have a fast-paced almost RPG-ish mod.

[WSBN-Punisher] Is there going to be other servers linked together to form Everquest-style "zones"?

[JeremyIrons] Well, maybe. I'm going to add the functionality. But the way Tribes RPG works is that any average Joe can setup a server and play around with the world and players in it. This means that linking different servers together could lead to cheating etc.

[JeremyIrons] It'd have to be between trusted servers.

[Turbo] Will you be adding OTHER ways of living your TRPG life, such as, mining those small rocks, and then going and smithing them, or creating arrows (fletching), purchasing a boat and then maybe charging for like a ferry service?

[JeremyIrons] Yeah, I want to for sure.

[JeremyIrons] I want to have buy-able houses and boats etc.

[JeremyIrons] T2 will just be much more flexible to add that type of stuff.

[Toaster] Does T2 have an item limit?

[JeremyIrons] I hope not.

Are you planning on adding a large number of new items if not?

[JeremyIrons] I doubt it though, because I contacted Dynamix about that issue for T1.

[JeremyIrons] Yes.

[Toaster] Cool!

[JeremyIrons] Lots of items, but automatically generated.

[JeremyIrons] I plan on approaching the item creation like Diablo.

[Toaster] Like tweaked?

[JeremyIrons] Automatically generated names and stats, and then a bunch of unique ones.

[Mir] Okay, There have been, in the past, a few security problems within the community...

[JeremyIrons] (My ISP might boot me off soon, if it does I'll brb)

[JeremyIrons] True dat.

[Mir] Are you intending to look into better ways of securing? For example, the passwords?

[Mir] I'm not sure that the engine would support it…

[Mir] …but I mean, if it does...

[JeremyIrons] Perhaps some form of preventive encryption.

[JeremyIrons] Nothing unhackable, but just to deter the kids.

[HappyFriend] I wanted to know if there would be many new elaborate maps or "worlds" in T2RPG, or if it would be the same as it is now, just one map with many different locations?

[JeremyIrons] That all depends on who makes the maps. If it's me all alone again, then probably just one map. But anyone can create new maps; it's just a lot of work.

[HappyFriend] But would it be possible to transfer between maps in-game?

[JeremyIrons] You're essentially designing a world, not just a map…

[JeremyIrons] Yeah

[JeremyIrons] Possible

[Toaster] Are you planning any changes to the PvP current system?

[JeremyIrons] Well, I'm going to include the House PK system into T2 RPG, and then change systems if we can come up with something better. So no plans YET.

[WSBN-Punisher] How many people are you guessing can connect to a T2 RPG server? (At one time)

[WSBN-Punisher] Does it have the same limit as T2 base server?

[JeremyIrons] I think more than we see in T1 RPG because a lot of functions I had to manually write for T1 are included in T2. So a lot less lag code, meaning less lag for players...meaning more players =)

[Fatmango|TC] Hey Jeremy, when do you plan to release T2RPG?

[JeremyIrons] I plan to release it as soon as I have all core code ported over from T1 RPG, and have a playable version. From there, the mod will be open and players will contribute their ideas as they are doing it now for T1RPG.

[HappyFriend] Will there be more support for guilds or houses in T2RPG, which can actually work together for bonuses and rewards?

[JeremyIrons] Yeah I want to have a real guild system, although I don't know yet what the system will be like. But I definitely want this in order to have actual wars between guilds etc.

[HappyFriend] Will there be an actual house?

[JeremyIrons] Imagine protecting your castle from invasion etc.

[HappyFriend] That’s what I’m talking about, cool!

[JeremyIrons] You mean deployable houses? =) Yeah.

[Reaver|TC] Sounds fun!

[HappyFriend] Like maybe you have to get materials to build it or something

[JeremyIrons] Yeah, something along those lines.

[|NuTz|Mantra] First of all about the password thing, with T2 you could probably keep track of that easily because of the fact everyone has actual accounts.

[JeremyIrons] Oh yeah.

[Turbo] Ok, first question: Jeremy, Did you steal my watch again? 2nd question: Are you planning to break down the skills into more specific categories rather than almost 30 different skills you have to work with?

[JeremyIrons] I don't know, probably lots of skills like it is now, it gives your character a lot of flexibility.

[JeremyIrons] I'd be willing to take a few out and put many skills under a single skill.

[Mir] Should a publisher decide they wished to 'hire' you…and financially support the development of the game, do you, assuming you have any say in the matter (I assume you would), do you intend to look within the current community for assistants, such as modelers, skinners, map makers, etc, to be a part of the team? Or do you intend to go after a bit more 'professional' help? Or both?

[JeremyIrons] Tough question.

[JeremyIrons] Probably the community.

[JeremyIrons] The community plays a lot of games...they usually know best,
or at least their feedback usually reflects a common opinion better than a single professional.

[Deus_ex_Machina] Will bots be improved?

[JeremyIrons] Dynamix took care of that for me =)

[JeremyIrons] So yes.

[Vectrex] What do you think about people using scripts to build up their
character while they are afk?

I #kick them or #jail them, because I think it's stupid...but as long as it doesn't lag or give them TOO much of an advantage over non-script users, I don’t see the problem.

[JeremyIrons] As soon as it exploits any kind of loophole, that's when it really bothers me.

[Toaster] I'm not sure how the T2 name system works, but since each player has a registered nick, will players be able to make multiple characters?

[JeremyIrons] I'm sure this will be possible, if not through Tribes2, then once you enter the RPG game itself, you could perhaps have the option to specify a new name.

[JeremyIrons] Just click Use on Magic Dust.

[HappyFriend] Will there be any sort of encryption of the source (or map) to prevent people from finding hidden things (or locations) by just looking at the code?

[JeremyIrons] I believe this is part of what T2 offers. You can "compile" your code into some type of Dynamix format.

[JeremyIrons] And I believe it applies to both code and maps.

[Mafia_Jabba] What will keep the community from getting tired of your "modification" if that is the right term?

[JeremyIrons] The community could probably best answer that, but of course I'll answer: I update the mod like 3 times a week, new features, new commands, new map locations etc.

[JeremyIrons] The mod never stagnates.

[JeremyIrons] No other mod updates this often.

[WSBN-Punisher] Can you ski in Tribes RPG? Hehe (maybe a skill you can learn)

[JeremyIrons] Well, you can on certain non-steep ramps.

[WSBN-Punisher] What about interaction with NPC's?

[JeremyIrons] I recently made it so you can't jump off hills, but only on near flat surfaces.

[JeremyIrons] You can interact with NPC's plenty, what exactly did you mean by the question?

[JeremyIrons] That's already possible, it's just a matter of people making use of my quest scripting language.

[Fatmango|TC] ok reaver has left so bear with me while I use my Non-L33t Mirc skillz

[JeremyIrons] There's an #onhear command for bots...you'd have to check out the commands and see what's possible, there's a lot you can do.

[Rafterman|TC] Hey Irons, I got a question for ya! Is this a pimple or a boil?

[JeremyIrons] Both.

[Rafterman|TC] Thanks!

[HappyFriend] How do you plan on taking advantage of T2's water feature,
besides the rivers that are in T1RPG?

[JeremyIrons] Well, I plan on making the first T2RPG map have a huge ocean, so obviously there's gonna be underwater dungeons.

[HappyFriend] Are you planning on making a variety of strong weapons and armors to prevent everyone from having the same kind?

[HappyFriend] For example, all the high levels wear fullplate (even the mages for the most part)

[JeremyIrons] Yeah, like I said earlier, I'm hoping there's no item limit, meaning I will create code to auto-generate weapons and armors.

[Deus_ex_Machina] Will chars be able to convert to TRPG 2?

[JeremyIrons] Haha, no.

[JeremyIrons] Sorry =)

[Mir] Okay, you said you were thinking of making some dramatic armament changes...are you intending on class restricted items at all?

[Mir] And/or race restricted?

[JeremyIrons] I don’t intend on it, no. MAYBE race restricted, but that sort of goes against the concept behind the skill system.

[JeremyIrons] For those who don’t know, the skill system in T1 RPG lets any class use/cast anything, but for example a fighter would suck at casting, but could potentially become really good with A LOT of practice.

[Deus_ex_Machina] Will there be no team limit? Like will you be able to make more than 8 teams for new races =)

[JeremyIrons] Oh, that probably won't matter. The only reason why I have different teams is because of a limitation in T1 where you can't Client::setSkin a bot.

[JeremyIrons] the only way to get around it was to assign a default skin for a team, then put the bot on that team.

[Orion_613] I’ve noticed how some dedicated servers drop and don’t come back. If you join the servers in a way so that certain ones are responsible for specific areas, how do you plan to handle servers that leave and the entrance of new servers?

[JeremyIrons] Not just any server will be able to be part of a TRPG server
network.

The way it would work is you'd have 2 or 3 servers running a world, and another 2 or 3 running another world, but those two groups of computers aren't connected.

[Vectrex] Are you going to come up with a new name? TRPG is kind of generic.

[JeremyIrons] I would like to, yes.

[JeremyIrons] Maybe the Ironsphere project or some crap…

[JeremyIrons] I dunno yet.

[Vectrex] And if there are elves, I'm just going to beat them up.

[JeremyIrons] Hehe.

[Deus_ex_Machina] Will there be new classes to choose from?

[JeremyIrons] Yeah, for sure. But I'd rather get rid of some classes first...like Bard...who needs that.

[JeremyIrons] Maybe add Necromancer.

[JeremyIrons] More interesting stuff, you know.

[Mir] Are there any new features in Tribes 2 that you REALLY look forward to playing with?

[JeremyIrons] I'm really looking forward to creating a new environment to play in. Something less lego than Tribes 1. I'm really looking forward to creating oceans and forests and huge trees.

[Rafterman|TC] I have a question. Will there be killer monkeys in the trees?

[JeremyIrons] That's a tough question…

[JeremyIrons] Hmm…no.

[Rafterman|TC] Damnit.

[JeremyIrons] Too many polys.

[Rafterman|TC] Not even those tiny monkeys?
[Fatmango|TC] Ok, someone just sent me a question asking how you’re going to incorporate the shocklance into T2RPG.

[JeremyIrons] Oh those hehe, maybe.

[Fatmango|TC] I forgot who it was.

[JeremyIrons] *Highlight shocklance code, Delete*

[Fatmango|TC] And if no one else has anything huge, I'll just voice you all.

[JeremyIrons] I might make use of its properties though.

[JeremyIrons] Similarly to how people made thunder using elf gun.

That ends the IRC dialouge.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 04-20-2001 02:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HappyFriend
#tribesrpg

yes

HappyFriend is offline Old Post 04-24-2001 05:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HappyFriend Click here to Send HappyFriend a Private Message Click Here to Email HappyFriend Find more posts by HappyFriend Add HappyFriend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

kewl.

can i ask you ji, if you even check into this thread, if the code and maps are compiled what about people that adore tweaking your code and maps? chee, zel, gala....(im really really really sorry to those whose names i forget easily)

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 04-24-2001 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

Maybe I'll leave the option for a "plugs.cs"

But during beta, you'll probably only get the dso's

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 04-25-2001 03:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stella_Blue
GnollShaman

Thumbs up wow

Cool

Stella_Blue is offline Old Post 04-27-2001 04:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stella_Blue Click here to Send Stella_Blue a Private Message Click Here to Email Stella_Blue Visit Stella_Blue's homepage! Find more posts by Stella_Blue Add Stella_Blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

quote:
Originally posted by JeremyIrons
every time someone tried to hit a page when the database was corrupt, Alaric received an error via email. Over 4 days he received approximately 28,000 error emails!

Hmm.. 7,000 visits per day. Assuming that 3/4 of the people checked 3 times a day, and the rest only checked once...

It comes out to 3,000 people came to this site. And I think LESS than 3/4 of the people checked 3 times a day... making my guess an underestimate.

But 3,000 people? Jeez, pretty soon we are going to have to start making subtitles in foreign languages..

That just goes to show how popular this little bunch of coding has become.

It also goes to show how much we torture poor Mammuth...

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

I checked probably 15 times a day d=

But yes, that's very impressive.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote