Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Your input on new forums requested
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Alaric
Webmaster

Your input on new forums requested

Since almost the dawn of TribesRPG there have been lamers and flamouts in the forums. This is nothing more than a result of the demographics of this game. While painful to all, I have executed toleration as I believe the ability to blow off steam and just B.S. with the other people is an integral component in the sense of community that we feel from playing this game.

I believe a slight change needs to occur and am asking for your feedback.

What I propose is that instead of having a public and private forum, these be changed to General Discussion and RPG Only. We would eliminate the private discussion until it is needed for things like beta testing. Everyone would retain their contributor status.

The General Discussion would be what the public discussion is now. Anyone can say (almost) anything and flame to their hearts content. I assume the general mindset would be that the General Discussion would be for the most part meaningless banter and not to be taken seriously.

The RPG forum would become public to all registered users, but highly moderated. I would draft a moderation document and employ an additional 5-10 moderators for this one forum. All content would be kept on topic and mature. Violators would be quickly banned from this forum.

So what do you think? It would also be appropriate to post any other suggestions for change to the forums in general at this time.

Thanks,

-Alaric-

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Alaric is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alaric Click here to Send Alaric a Private Message Click Here to Email Alaric Visit Alaric's homepage! Find more posts by Alaric Add Alaric to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SilverHorse
Banned

I suggest morphing the current public forum into these two new forums, and leaving everything else as is including the private forum

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverHorse Click here to Send SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email SilverHorse Find more posts by SilverHorse Add SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

That depends. By highly moderated, I hope you mean that you give the moderators more disciplinary powers. Things like temporary muting, subtracting posts from their post count, or making their title (GoblinRunt, or whatever, your is Webmaster) to something showing them to be under punishment. Something embarrasing, at least.

If the moderators have strong powers, then I must agree to this idea.

Personally, I am absolutely sick of spammers and complete assholes degrading RPG to new players. It would make me really happy to see these spammers punished for their wrong-doings.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Galadriel
Elven Queen

I definally agree to this idea

Galadriel is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Galadriel Click here to Send Galadriel a Private Message Click Here to Email Galadriel Find more posts by Galadriel Add Galadriel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alaric
Webmaster

hmm, keeping everything else and just splitting public into the two might work. My concern with the current private forums is that there are many new users that do not have private forum access, but should, simply because they haven't popped up on anyones radar screen. My thinking with the public, yet heavily moderated forum is that these people could then contribute.

I have restricted moderators to being able to only delete posts so far. Their access to things like editing profiles would increase, but to what extent I know not.

Alaric is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alaric Click here to Send Alaric a Private Message Click Here to Email Alaric Visit Alaric's homepage! Find more posts by Alaric Add Alaric to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-SB-SirSteven
UberFuffian

Good plan. But make sure there would be no newbie moderators =p

-SB-SirSteven is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for -SB-SirSteven Click here to Send -SB-SirSteven a Private Message Click Here to Email -SB-SirSteven Visit -SB-SirSteven's homepage! Find more posts by -SB-SirSteven Add -SB-SirSteven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Perhaps you could set required times for each moderator. They could moderate as long as they want, but at a certain time for a couple hours, they have to be here.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ~SadFriend~ Click here to Send ~SadFriend~ a Private Message Click Here to Email ~SadFriend~ Find more posts by ~SadFriend~ Add ~SadFriend~ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

Please get on ICQ alaric. Id like to speak with you on ideas on how to help

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SolarRPG Click here to Send SolarRPG a Private Message Find more posts by SolarRPG Add SolarRPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Why not just post your ideas here?

But, whatever...

I'm in #tribesrpg on irc.dynamix.com if anyone wants to talk about anything.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:51 PM
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

I would be honored to help as a forum moderator or any other thing that you may need since I am on the forums a lot.

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SolarRPG Click here to Send SolarRPG a Private Message Find more posts by SolarRPG Add SolarRPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

I agree. Something needs to be done. Either the two forum or three forum idea, but at least something.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Sounds good to me.

So Alaric, are we doing it?

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:57 PM
TheRealCrash
TravellerKnight

SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

---------------------------------
Lol yes you are :-Þ

------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the idea of just splitting the Public into two forums. I also like the idea of moderators being able to edit post counts and status to discourage people from spamming.

TheRealCrash is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealCrash Click here to Send TheRealCrash a Private Message Click Here to Email TheRealCrash Find more posts by TheRealCrash Add TheRealCrash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

I say the forums should consist of the following:

Miscellaneous Discussion Forum, where everyone can post.

RPG Forum, Solely for talk of RPG, everyone may post. Moderation of this forum will be nessecary to keep out the non-RPG talk.

Private Discussion Forum: For the people who currently have Private Forum access and that are beta testers to talk about ideas in upcoming versions and tests, etc...

Should the Private Discussion be able to be viewed by users not able to post here though?

My ideas... Thanks.

Need any help:

AIM: Pres123456789

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 06-30-2001 11:57 PM
Alaric
Webmaster

I am quite often on ICQ, but always hidden. Within a minute of changing to available I'll receive at least 30 messages. Since anyone can add me w/o approval I seem to be on many lists. So just give it a try if you need to and see if you get through.

Alaric is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 12:01 AM
Alaric
Webmaster

lol AAAhhh, I opened that flood gate a little too wide.

Alaric is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 12:04 AM
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Alaric = Popular.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 12:12 AM
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

I must say that the first of the moderators should be Toaster.

I'm not just saying this for no reason. There is a VERY good reason to let Toaster be a moderator.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 12:18 AM
Deus_ex_Machina
God from Machine

I would like to be a moderator.

I think DeathMerchant could be one too. Hes on a lot.

Deus_ex_Machina is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 12:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deus_ex_Machina Click here to Send Deus_ex_Machina a Private Message Click Here to Email Deus_ex_Machina Visit Deus_ex_Machina's homepage! Find more posts by Deus_ex_Machina Add Deus_ex_Machina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SilverHorse
Banned

I am on a lot too!

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 12:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverHorse Click here to Send SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email SilverHorse Find more posts by SilverHorse Add SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

How do you know someone else is on a lot?

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 01:02 AM
Galadriel
Elven Queen

someone in the 2000+ post range is definally on alot, but some people can be on alot with lower post counts

Galadriel is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Galadriel Click here to Send Galadriel a Private Message Click Here to Email Galadriel Find more posts by Galadriel Add Galadriel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

What the hell? You people are going by post counts?

Here's a profile for you.

----------------------------------------------
Profile for: Alaric
Total Posts: 83 (0.69 posts per day)
----------------------------------------------

I say he's on here a lot more than any of us. And look at his post count.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 01:11 AM
-SB-SirSteven
UberFuffian

i agree. Look at my post counts. I do read most the private forums all the time, but i just stay way from the public ramble.

look at muh post count! heh.. Who cares aye?

EDIT: Don't go begging Alaric for moderation, he'll pick someone worthy of the position.

-SB-SirSteven is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for -SB-SirSteven Click here to Send -SB-SirSteven a Private Message Click Here to Email -SB-SirSteven Visit -SB-SirSteven's homepage! Find more posts by -SB-SirSteven Add -SB-SirSteven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Galadriel
Elven Queen

1. i didnt exactly say that high post count people only are on alot, just said they are on quite a bit to get that many posts, unless they spam

2. and they have to be mature, honest and responsible

Last edited by Galadriel on 07-01-2001 at 02:59 AM

Galadriel is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 01:21 AM
~SadFriend~
Emerald Archer

Stevies right.

And there's no need to continue posting on this thread, save a few people who haven't seen this thread yet and want to post their opinion. Either than that, we're pretty much in favor of this new idea.

Basically, this thread has done what it was meant to do. No need to keep bringing this up.

~SadFriend~ is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 01:22 AM
Mir

Hrm...

Someone go look at LXCool's post count, and then tell me he should be moderator because he's on a lot.

Its not the amount of time thats important, its the maturity of the person.

You need honest, responsible people for moderator, not just people around alot, although an honest, responsible moderator that is ALSO around a lot is definately a good thing.

I have to agree that I think Toaster would make a good moderator, although I have a nagging feeling he wouldn't really want the job...

Anyway, as far as forums are concerned... I think the Private forum should be changed into the RPG only forum.
There is no use for a 'private' forum, per se... the whole intention of it was that the responsible people in the community would be allowed access to avoid the newbies and spammers et al...
however, I think its easier (which is basically Alarics new idea) to have a second forum that everyone can access, and simply ban them when they're stupid, instead of only allowing them access when they've proven decent people. The only thing is though, we need to have well defined, clear, and easily accessible rules for what is, and isn't allowed on the forums.

That way when a moderator goes to discipline someone, (ban, etc..) they can say exactly what the person did wrong, and where it says you cant do that.

As it is, each moderator just does whatever they think is nescessary, so sometimes two moderators will disagree wether something is allowed or not, and we dont want that.

Old Post 07-01-2001 02:30 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-SB-SirSteven
UberFuffian

quote:
Originally posted by -SB-SirSteven
EDIT: Don't go begging Alaric for moderation, he'll pick someone worthy of the position.

Bleah Crap!

-SB-SirSteven is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 02:43 AM
SilverHorse
Banned

I like the idea we had on ICQ Alaric.

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 02:44 AM
SolarRPG
MinotaurReaper

quote:

Bleah Crap!

LOL STEVIE

Solar

SolarRPG is offline Old Post 07-01-2001 03:20 AM