Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > Families etc
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

how about the map is "buyable"

you can buy land from land owner bots

everyone would have atleast .1% of land so they could build a house

people would try to build empires, then the Empires could let people some of the land in the empire to make it a "province".

so about 10-20 major people would be battling for the most land and control their empire

the Empires would want to sell or give away land in there empire to make that person a part of their army

maybe there could be like 16 vs 16 wars between 2 empires for the land

Have empires (most rich, noble and strongest people), then provinces (rich, kinda strong), 3rd rank would be town (some power not alot though, kinda strong), the last rank would be just a home owner (new and weak, poor)

it would be cool to work your way up into the ranks, maybe a few weaker people that owned provinces would conspire and have a "war" to break off form the empire to become their own empire

i just think it would be a spiffy idea

the whole family idea adds a ton of depth and replay value into the mod, at first i hated the idea, but now that i thought about it, its really cool

RAGS TO RICHES!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 03:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

So now it's gonna be more than just an RPG and become a persistant (sp?) online universe? Always fun, but never easy...

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 06:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

orcs too.

How are things going to run here for saveing. Will the house be saved in your character file or a special server file. I would hate it if i built a house and the server crashes. Should we have a auto-save for those things?

Take overs. A house is taken over when all the owners and family are killed. Simple, over with. JI is it possible to make a conveinent HUD for setting up the building zone?

I like the economy ideas JI has cooked up. For smithing shouldn't we make it required that you have the tools to do it. (forge, hammer etc.) How will furnishings be handled? It should be handled like the buildings only you can build them within the params of your house.

OT (off topic): Could we make a basic requirement for the players (food?) forcing the economy along and allowing people to become farmers.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Uh, Death...

You might want to cut down on that list a bit if you expect all thoose to have an individual model. ; )

Zxqv8: It always was persistant, even from the VERY beginning.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 02:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

yeah gib, but nothing really ever effected the world you play in, nothing really ever changed

the only things that changed were the players and the levels

the same towns were always there, the same bots, the same enemies, the same dungeons

i could still tell you where and how to get to everything on rpgmap 1 and the old rpgmap1

With this everything is always in change

the smart business type will ALWAYS have the most or alot of land, but who's to stop the small powerful group from taking over?

This would rule for the Mafia...

Say you are lvl 47, you quit for 2 weeks, so much would have changed by then you wouldnt notice

plus with my empire idea, if i knew my empire was about to lose alot of land or gain alot of land, i would be playing every single second i got

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 03:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sanders
GnollHunter

TRPG stock market so to speak =P, right pimp? hehe

Sanders is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 05:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sanders Click here to Send Sanders a Private Message Click Here to Email Sanders Visit Sanders's homepage! Find more posts by Sanders Add Sanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

heh

whatever it takes to be number 1

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 08:30 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

You shouldn't need seperate models for all those...some of the houses, latches, etc will look identical. That should also add to the difficulty for attackers.

Some, like the fountain, could be imported from the current models. Some, like the bridge, could have multiple variations.

PS. If we have drink, fontain would be a free source of water.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Yeah... Um...

Where'd that come from Paladin?

I said it was always persistent because somebody said that TRPG1 wasn't...

Uh, thanks for your input though. =?

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 10:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gul'Dar
TravellerThug

heh yeah you could drink from the fountain and regen HP =)

Class: Paladin
Level: 104
Remort: 1
Admin Level: 2 (Guide)
-----------------------------------------------

Gul'Dar is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 10:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gul'Dar Click here to Send Gul'Dar a Private Message Click Here to Email Gul'Dar Visit Gul'Dar's homepage! Find more posts by Gul'Dar Add Gul'Dar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Please do not start the food/drink discussion all over again.

Idea for why you would build your house/village in a certain location: (unless somebody else has already suggested this elsewhere)

Gul's fountain idea sparked something: what if there were "hidden" ecological/magical properties to certain parts of the map (say: a well whose water gives you higher levels of energy. Or small deposits of healing crystals, or specific metals for smithing, even say, special wood for building the strongest walls with....) something unique only found in that one area...

Building your village there around those meant you had control of that one source. It creates added necessity of security in village...and wealth. Plundering the village becomes a way to not only gain houses/property inside, but control of that valuable resource. It adds another layer to the whole build/takeover play.
-----
[I know most of my ideas aren't in the style folks are accustomed to. If I am "behind the times" and am NOT contributing anything original out here, tell me to shut up! Thanks.]

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 05-13-2001 at 12:05 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 05-12-2001 11:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

No Goldy, don't shut up. :-) Just because some of your ideas are rather unusual does not mean they are bad.... Shoot, most of mine are rather wacky, come to think of it.

I personally am just coming up with ways to make a good economy. Does anyone else forsee villages springing up next too good mining/harvesting/logging areas?

In olden days, cities tended to be near water, simply because they needed it. However, quite a few players dislike the idea of water. (Though not of alcohol, strangely) The main reason cited for it is that they would get bored with eating and drinking...over, and over, and over....

Not that people seem to tire of using vials or potions. Anyhow, seeing that it could get old after a short time...I suggest that the need to eat/drink be very infrequent. Also, once to a certain level, there should be some sort of spell/operation/etc that makes the player immune to the ill effects of hunger and thirst.

Sound like a good compromise?

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 05-13-2001 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Gosh goldy, you remind me of my friends, always making fun of themselves. They do it so much that I'm tempted to start agreeing just to spite them (but i never do, because what they say is rarely true).

I have to say, most of your ideas are good, and don't you say otherwise.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 05-13-2001 12:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Thanks guys. (I really appreciate that )

This really isn't Goldy putting herself down, it's an honest question about:

Whats best for putting ideas out here?

(a) concepts
(b) ideas with backup details
(c) technical solutions
(d) some of the above
(e) or all of the above.

If (a) isn't useful at this time because folks have moved onto actual solution implementation, then it would be time to stop trying to add more "new" ideas for consideration.

Also: the other thread is long, and it's easy to lose track of ideas already submitted.

Last edited by GoldenFlight on 05-13-2001 at 01:30 AM

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 05-13-2001 01:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

I've been sort of randomly doing all of the above.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 05-13-2001 01:27 AM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

takeing over towns

In order to take over a town you should have to kill the town owners family. Very simple not so easy to do. This would force the towns peeps to protect him or face new leadership. Also human town attacking a human town will probably be rare because you always could attack a orc one(or vice versa)

TridentRX is offline Old Post 05-13-2001 03:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Yeah, but most of the family will not be logged on at any given time...

A smart attacker would wait until only one weak member is on, and attack at that time.

With the title deed type situation, most owners would probably go to defend their village anyhow. They also probably would be globaling for some backup.

Another trap time...silent alarm. Alerts the setter that it has gone off. No other effect. Probably great for by a chest.

Yes, most people would want to attack towns of the other race. For one, it would make their race more dominant. For another, the scalps would be worth more.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 05-13-2001 04:30 PM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Sweet... so I can make a bogus char and just hide him on the map so my village could never be taken over!

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 05-14-2001 08:16 PM
Mir

Umm...

If you lose everything when you run out of Luck...
wouldn't building a house become futile?

or could a large enough house/castle/villiage provide Luck (tax?) on a slow basis?

Like..
at least with character development you only lose a few levels, correct?
but you lose all of your items/money/houses/etc....

so once you build a house.. you sit inside it fearing for your Luck, and get bored stiff...

What kind of limitations are put upon houses anyway?

I mean is terrain deformable?

can I put a moat around my castle?
with the fack that windwalkers are NOT going to be around, a really deep moat with steep walls could be very useful... have a drawbridge that you need a key word (shouted to the guy inside running the chains) to open the door, etc...

Can I dig myself a cavern into the side of a mountain for a home like the dwarves?

I'd personally love to make a subterranean home although I can see TONS of reasons why this wouldn't work/would be very hard to do....

unless the terrain already had 'caves' in it, which you could simply deploy a house inside.

I dont know if caves are possible with the terrain anyway... they would probably have to be .dis files like the mines etc... oh well...

I can see this being a very good system... it adds another complex element to the game...

frankly, I got bored of T1RPG.. I dont play it anymore...
its great, but its sort of the same stuff over and over..
which all games are I guess... but...

However; I can see this being complex enough that the variety will never really end...should be awesome..
I need to buy T2 still :P

I'll shaddup now.

Old Post 05-14-2001 10:38 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

People like Gib Waker only ruin this for us and tell everyone the exploits

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 05-14-2001 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Galadriel
Elven Queen

quote:
Originally posted by Strider
People like Gib Waker only ruin this for us and tell everyone the exploits

if it werent for people like him, exploits wouldnt get fixed

Galadriel is offline Old Post 05-14-2001 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Galadriel Click here to Send Galadriel a Private Message Click Here to Email Galadriel Find more posts by Galadriel Add Galadriel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

Yeah, but he yells em out on the forum

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

That's why I prefer my way...

However, remember #compass. I'm also sure that eventually some net glitch would eventually make you lose your connection, leaving your place wide open.

Yeah, Moats would be cool, but I don't know how you'd handle that.

I perfer a more "realistic" method. If you can take it over, you get it.

I also think that there should be a way to aquire lck at higher levels, even if it is slow and agonizingly painful.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 03:35 AM
Gul'Dar
TravellerThug

just create the map with pre-built destiniations for homes/castles etc... duh!

Class: Paladin
Level: 104
Remort: 1
Admin Level: 2 (Guide)
-----------------------------------------------

Gul'Dar is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 07:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gul'Dar Click here to Send Gul'Dar a Private Message Click Here to Email Gul'Dar Visit Gul'Dar's homepage! Find more posts by Gul'Dar Add Gul'Dar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

i'm not building the map with pre-made spots for deploying buildings. I already have this issue covered so there's no need to argue over it

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 05:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SilverHorse
Banned

on the LCK thing, maybe you get a certain chance of getting a lck point if your in charge of a town/village?

Example:

SilverHorse is in charge of SilverTown.
He has a 1 in 500 chance (Might wanna increase that) of gett ing a lck every 5 minutes.

Sound fair?

The bigger the Town, the btter chance you have of getting LCK

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 06:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverHorse Click here to Send SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email SilverHorse Find more posts by SilverHorse Add SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

I'd like to rename LCK to something else.

Life Stone perhaps

Could be a red glowing rock or something. Each Life Stone you carry represents an LCK point.

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

What about them being Resurrection Points, i put that in the big thread but i dunno if you saw it. Just bringing it up in case you didn't, i have no other ideas.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 09:29 PM
Mir

Thats not a bad Idea at all...
BUT...
if they are simply an object, whats to stop a person from creating an army of newbies (assuming we can have multiple characters) and just throwing his/her main character all of the life stones?

So they'll have to be no-drop.. or something.. I dunno
But I like the idea of changing the name...

Life Stones
Stones of Life
Stone of Resurrection
Holy Stone (unholy stones for unholy creatures like orcs? :P)

Eh
I cant think of anything else..

Old Post 05-15-2001 09:32 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Angel Kill
OrcRavager

Zxqv8: You like tool? If so, i got thenew cd 2 days before it came out =P, my friend won it...

Life Force...?...Pendants?...a Chance?..just ideas for LCK

"You all stare, but you'll never see, there's something inside me.
You all stare, but you'll never see, there's something in you i despise."

Angel Kill is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 09:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Angel Kill Click here to Send Angel Kill a Private Message Click Here to Email Angel Kill Visit Angel Kill's homepage! Find more posts by Angel Kill Add Angel Kill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote