Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > We need a new Quickstart guide
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

there is an awful lot of newbies in the public forums who cant figure out how to connect to a trpg server. i know its hard to believe but you may want to look aruond here to see what i mean

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~rpg/sho...35&pagenumber=1

anyway, um, they have problems like winzip not putting maps into the subdirectory MISSIONS
and then they cant find the rpg servers, i realize it only takes the knowledge to sort the list by server type but they cant manage to figure that part out.

if we want to harness the pcgamer banner these rpoblems need to be dealt with/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 10:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

I'll make one...

bladerunner is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 10:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bladerunner Click here to Send bladerunner a Private Message Click Here to Email bladerunner Visit bladerunner's homepage! Find more posts by bladerunner Add bladerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

Damn it I go in depths too much don't I well here is some of what I wrote.. (yes I know punctuation is terrible so dont lecture me about it :P)

Getting Started:

First you must go to http://www.planettribes.com/rpg/downloads/ and click the first link labled Official Base Version - 4.751 after you have downloaded this you must extract these files into your Tribes directory (Default being C:/Dynamic/Tribes) this should create a file labled Rpg in your Tribes directory. Then go back to the download section and click on the button labled Official Update (part 2, if any) Version - 4.945 download this and unzip the files into your C:/Dynamic/Tribes/Rpg file (Or wherver your Tribes directory is located). Now then, start up your Tribes game and click PLAY GAME.
Make your name and supply your password in the Other Info section. After that go to the server list and search alphabeticaly by Server Type and look for rpg base. Now after the first download and the update you are now at version 4.945, find a server that looks good to you click Info and look at the first line of text it should say Running RPG mod ver 4.945 if it does NOT say that you will not be able to join and it will give you an error.
Now click "Join Game" when you have found the server you want. People have had trouble connecting before so you may time out a few times due to the size of the TRPG mod, for some users after they have left a TRPG server they have to restart Tribes to join another, if you have alot of RAM you should not have a problem with this.

Playing the game:

Now that you have finally got into your server choose the class that would fit you best. I urge you to read the Newbie Guide by Toaster for a description of the diffrent classes. After you have your class you will spawn in Keldrin City, go down the stairs turn left outside of the building then turn left again to he fountain there are two houses there.
Enter the 1st house and say hello to the bot labled Merchant. (Hi, hello, hail mostly any greeting) Buy a weapon that fits your class and armor I suggest you buy Leather Armor. After you have done your buisness in K City head South, South East out of Keldrin City across the bridge and continue heading straight.
Heading forward will bring you to a house and over the hill behind it is a cave like entrance to your right. After you have enterd the Keldrin Mines turn right at the first split, then right again up a ramp then right yet again. You should see a purple crystal in the middle of the room and some goblins will spawn. Attack these and fight them till about level 6.
Go left 3 times and down the other split then turn right you will find a pit with yet another crystal in the middle. Gnoll pups spawn in here and you should fight them for a few levels. (Tip: It is easy to level off these guys because when they die there packs have crystal blue potions which will heal your guy pretty fully)

Well the first part would help..

bladerunner is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 12:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bladerunner Click here to Send bladerunner a Private Message Click Here to Email bladerunner Visit bladerunner's homepage! Find more posts by bladerunner Add bladerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TangWei
OrcSlayer

I think what a lot of people are having problems with is the whole shortcut with the -mod RPG switch. Most get everything downloaded right, but then can't figure out why it still doesn't work. I've noticed that in all the newbie guides around, they fail to mention that.

TangWei is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TangWei Click here to Send TangWei a Private Message Click Here to Email TangWei Find more posts by TangWei Add TangWei to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

No no no you do NOT need the -mod RPG that i only if they are using HUD's..

bladerunner is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 01:57 AM
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

quote:
Originally posted by bladerunner
Official Base Version - 4.751 after you have downloaded this you must extract these files into your Tribes directory (Default being C:/Dynamic/Tribes)

okay thanks for trying blade. heh. its C:\Dynamix\Tribes not Dynamic, and dont tell them to extract files because the newbie will only see one file, a self extractor that chooses the default directory for them.

and please, do go incredibly step by step in depth, we would rather have a patronized newbie than a confused one.

oh, and leave everything after a sucessful connection to the server to The Newbie Guide -Toaster Trademark.....the instructions to fight goblins and gnolls are rather redundant and too many overlapping newbieguides can be confusing.

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 02:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

Since there aren't likely going to be any more versions of T1RPG, would it be simple to create one final 4.945 base file? It would simplify things...

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 03:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeremyIrons
Tribes RPG Creator

true

JeremyIrons is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 03:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeremyIrons Click here to Send JeremyIrons a Private Message Visit JeremyIrons's homepage! Find more posts by JeremyIrons Add JeremyIrons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

Yeah I know that's why I don't want to go into descriptions so much.. Or it's more like a sucky newbie guide than a goode quickstart guide :P

bladerunner is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 05:16 PM
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

just break it down into numbered steps, instead of paragraph form. Easier to follow.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 06:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

*~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~
~**~~**~~*Bladerunner's Quickstart Guide*~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**
~~**~~**~~**~~*
~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~
**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**
~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~
**~~**~~**~~**~

First you must go to http://www.planettribes.com/rpg/downloads/ and click the first link labled Official Base Version - 4.751 after you have downloaded this you must extract these files into your Tribes directory (Default being C:/Dynamix/Tribes) this should create a file labled Rpg in your Tribes directory.

Then go back to the download section and click on the button labled Official Update (part 2, if any) Version - 4.945 download this and unzip the files into your C:/Dynamix/Tribes/Rpg file (Or wherver your Tribes directory is located).

Start up your Tribes game and click PLAY GAME. Make your name and supply your password in the Other Info section. After that go to the server list and search alphabeticaly by Server Type and look for rpg base. Now after the first download and the update you are now at version 4.945, find a server that looks good to you click Info and look at the first line of text it should say Running RPG mod ver 4.945 if it does NOT say that you will not be able to join and it will give you an error.

Now click "Join Game" when you have found the server you want. People have had trouble connecting before so you may time out a few times due to the size of the TRPG mod, for some users after they have left a TRPG server they have to restart Tribes to join another, if you have alot of RAM you should not have a problem with this.

Now that you have finally got into your server choose the class that would fit you best. I urge you to read the Newbie Guide (http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~rpg/sho...hp?threadid=199) by Toaster for a description of the diffrent classes.

After you have your class you will spawn in Keldrin City, go down the stairs turn left outside of the building then turn left again to he fountain there are two houses there.
Enter the 1st house and say hello to the bot labled Merchant. (Hi, hello, hail mostly any greeting) Buy a weapon that fits your class and armor I suggest you buy Leather Armor.

After you have done your buisness in K City head South, South East out of Keldrin City across the bridge and continue heading straight. Heading forward will bring you to a house and over the hill behind it is a cave like entrance to your right. After you have enterd the Keldrin Mines turn right at the first split, then right again up a ramp then right yet again. You should see a purple crystal in the middle of the room and some goblins will spawn. Attack these and fight them till about level 6.

Go left 3 times and down the other split then turn right you will find a pit with yet another crystal in the middle. Gnoll pups spawn in here and you should fight them for a few levels. (Tip: It is easy to level off these guys because when they die there packs have crystal blue potions which will heal your guy pretty fully)

After you have leveld 2 or 3 times go out of the pit and head straight you will come to a flat square like room. Turn right and head threw a corridor then turn left and you will find a room with what looks to be a broken cart. Fight the gnolls here for awhile they area bit harder than the pups.

bladerunner is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 08:52 PM
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

Now that you are at level 8-10 you should be ready to fight Orcs!

And that is what I have done.. Time to start making this downloadable.. Can't fit it all.

bladerunner is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 08:55 PM