Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > An Idea on the house/family thing
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

How about just making money very, very valuable? I mean, face it, no one pays 100000 coins for something in real life. Not now, not ever. Too much hassle for something.

Perhaps if cash was just extremely rare... at low levels, use the bartering method described above.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 11:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

uh..that would be more realistic, which I don't have a problem with...

think of trading services (like house building) for gems or weapons or something...would foster getting those local villages built, community style, which come to think of it, is also more realistic. hmmmm....I see a pattern here.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

youll have to come up witha afair trading sstem like daiblo2 has, so peopel arent cheated. i dont know how the inventory works in t2 but i know that in t1 you can throw a keldrinite and the other guy can juse decide not to #dropcoins 100000

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

A secure trading method would be a *very* good idea, since it would encourage player trade. Player trade is a good thing in this enviroment.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

zel, i meant in every idea

i dont every you read only half of the post, or skip lines, but read every damn line i post, then you can reply

i said A LOT OF UO, EQ, and D2 PLAYERS ARE GETTING BORED OF THE SAME THING, AND RIPPING IDEAS = THE SAME THING

SO PEOPLE AREN'T GONNA GO PLAY WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR 2 YEARS

my post wasn't directed at the whole coin idea

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 06-08-2001 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Quit arguing about ripping and propose a better solution.

I'll hold one (porbably alone) for the idea of NOT having a fair trading system. Sure, you can get ripped off, but if you tell the world, odds are someone's gonna try and kill the cheater. That's more or less the way it happens in RL as well. Makes the game semi-realistic.

Of course, if we did have a fair trade system, make the bot/whatever that does it charge like 10% for the service. This will encourage people bartering stuff wherever, rather than having a regulated trading house or whatever.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-08-2001 05:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

I like the bartering....that's more authentic.

I think it's possible to blend the systems.

Set it up so that most items become available by bartering. Have gold coins be very rare and very valuable. Commonly available coins should be, as suggested earlier, copper (or tin...a "cheap" metal.) Silver coins somewhere in between. This would put the money system more realistically in parallel with gems. Rocks being common.....etcetera.

And then price things accordingly. A suit of armor should be a few gold coins..

Rusty knives go for coppers.

Use coins with merchants and barter elsewhere. If you have players that set themselves up as merchants, then they have the option to both sell and barter and like any demand-driven market, can make themselves rich by pricing accordingly and in relation to the bot merchants. Just like you can either go to the apprentice or Nevim...set up some good competition there folks....and give yourselves more playing options.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 06-08-2001 06:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

do away with a Merchant that sells any weaps, armor or items

Then make certain "key" items, that you need to smith certain weaps

each "key" item has its own quality, the higher the quality the better the final item turns out to be

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 06-08-2001 10:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaladinPimp Click here to Send PaladinPimp a Private Message Click Here to Email PaladinPimp Find more posts by PaladinPimp Add PaladinPimp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

I like the system used by Yoshi...

mine metals, and smith them together to make stuff.
Even better, perhaps we would first #forge metal bars out of the raw minerals, then #smith the item out of the metal bars...

That way, people whould have to mine. Only give the merchants the cheap, everyday stuff...

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-09-2001 03:59 PM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

whats wrong with the current system?

its just money

having copper, tin, silver, copper, gold, keldrin coins would just clutter up the game

just a simple Coin is perfectly fine

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 06-09-2001 04:17 PM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

currency now and then were VERY different, remember how your dad only paid 5 cents for a coke? and your granddad only paid a penny

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 06-09-2001 04:19 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

My last system would involve only 1 coin type, but it would be extremely rare....everything else would be made by a player, quested for, or bartered for with a player or bot.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-09-2001 07:06 PM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

like i said, the currect system is fine

ji said something about every weap will be unique, so we might have to smith every weap

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 06-10-2001 01:35 AM
Strider
TRPG Story Master

PaladinPimp, shut up. You're blocking progress. I never even knew EQ had copper, silver, golds.. I just mentioned it because that's how they did it back then! Ok? I suggest you stop buggering around and attempting to halt creative thinking. Just because you have acces to the private forum doesn't mean you can boo us for wanting change.

On a lighter note...

DM: The bronze platinum etc idea won't work... First of all, bronze is too valuable as armor and bells that they don't want to make it into slabs of metal. Platinum is a western hemisphere innovation, therefore it didn't happen until 1800's or so.. Copper silver and gold was abundant back then. Gold, no matter what you think, was VERY common back then. With a vast amount of thralls and the spoils of war, kings and kingdoms could grow rich INDEED.

Also for DM.. Bartering systems... It could be implemented I'm sure.. Just a simple matter of a bartering interface and APPROPRIATE trading... But we won't 'do away' with the cuyrrent merchantile system, because traders and merchants were more common then warriors back then. In that matter, so were housewives and children, though the children could grow up quite quickly... *sniff*... Uhh, anyway...

Kujos go to whoever suggested the the weight in gold idea issue. That is authentic, except it was more common to use wanted goods to weigh. IE, a splint mail armor suit would be weighed against fruit, or some kind of other commodity. I doubt we could have a good weigh system. JI, divine influence, please?

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 06-10-2001 06:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

And every weapon is unique because you would smith EXTRAS onto the weapon, and it would retain those extras throughout it's life...

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 06-10-2001 06:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Click Here to Email Strider Visit Strider's homepage! Find more posts by Strider Add Strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
TRPG Story Master

quote:
Originally posted by PaladinPimp
currency now and then were VERY different, remember how your dad only paid 5 cents for a coke? and your granddad only paid a penny

And last but not least... That's not an indication of currency, that's an indication of economics.. I'm GOOD at economics, and the intricacies are a long speech..

Strider
TRPG Story Master

Strider is offline Old Post 06-10-2001 06:26 PM
PaladinPimp
TravellerPaladin

eh...the currency and the paying for coke was suppose to be 2 dif things, i guess i should have put lines instead of a comma

PaladinPimp is offline Old Post 06-10-2001 06:36 PM