Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Misc > Contributors Forum > F L U F F - Particle Affect System
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Just thought of a particle affect and thought I might as well share it.

In water, when a player is damaged, you should have it create a few particles that have a fade-away animation that spreads randomly.

Might be cool to see a bloody person swimming leaving a subtle blood trail... of course its prob the last thing on your mind, but I just thought that might be something neat for when you get the code solid.

[ed.: Also, it might be interesting to have the engine spread a little blood texture on the ground the same way it does the foot texture when you walk on snow (and regular land?). Very cool to see how bad someone is hurt other than their little green health bar, such as the ammount of blood they leave on the ground depending on how damaged. Uh, again, this is for after you get the code into a very respectable state.]

[ed. 2: June 7th is the last day of finals, and thats when the real fun stuff begins. >=) Hopefully I can fix some problems that I'm having with Tribes 2 and D3D and try my hand at Tribes 2 mapping, scripting, and possibly learn a bit more on modelling. I'm being optimistic, but thats a list of what I *want* to accomplish this summer. =P I'm off to study for exams, wish me luck.]

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Unhappy

Good Luck on your exams!!!
-------------------------------------

What you suggested sounds like a neat effect. It would certainly add another aspect to the game. Very realistic.

One of the reasons why Matty and I don't play games like UT is all the extra violence effects.

I REALLY like the fact that Tribes is UNrealistic in it's impact. Yes, things blow up...but you don't see body parts flying. APC parts...Shrike parts (T2) yes. Gens blowing...yeah. But no body parts, no blood. As it stands now, we can have family LAN games that include my 8 year old daughter, and yes, she's pretty good.

Question: if those effects got added, would that change the violence rating of this game? (And therefore reach a reduced audience?)

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Thanks Goldy! You r0xx3rz =P
------------------------------------------
Easily togglable, but I see what your saying.

I didn't really have in mind severed limbs and such, but to add a little realism like a "reddish particle effect" appearing underwater near an opponent wouldn't appear to me as gorey, but of course it is all in the beholder's eye.

Blood drops/splatters on the ground is another effect for the overal realism... Its not necessary to gameplay of course, but it makes it more believable and helps suspension of belief, without going over-board with walking around lobbing off limbs, appendiges, and heads. =)

Anyways, I do believe that it can be toggled but the above is my two cents on the "realism" of games.

[ed.: Violence is also togglable in UT, check the options I believe.]

[ed. 2: 8 year old gurrrrl-gamer! =P GoldenFlight, helping spread the gift of gaming to the next generation!]

Last edited by GiB WaKeR on 06-06-2001 at 02:12 AM

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GiB WaKeR Click here to Send GiB WaKeR a Private Message Visit GiB WaKeR's homepage! Find more posts by GiB WaKeR Add GiB WaKeR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

I REALLY like your idea gib.. I have always wanted to bash someone in the chest and watch as he flys backwards blood spilling out of him then he hits somthing and flys apart... THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! (Would incrase n00bie bashing :P).. I'm sorry goldy but I have never agreed that violence is bad... I play stuff like SOF and wouldn't hurt a fly.. Well I have killed a wasp be4..

bladerunner is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bladerunner Click here to Send bladerunner a Private Message Click Here to Email bladerunner Visit bladerunner's homepage! Find more posts by bladerunner Add bladerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

Talking

A toggle switch would be great!

ME? Spreading the game....nah...It came from being a clan mom...and the whole family got sucked into watching Matty's matches...including his sister! It's all MATTY's fault! Honest, Judge, I swear!

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenFlight Click here to Send GoldenFlight a Private Message Click Here to Email GoldenFlight Find more posts by GoldenFlight Add GoldenFlight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

I honestly think its BS when people use game violence as a scape-goat for school shootings and anything else they can apply it to...

I've been gaming since I was 2 (Commadore 64) and went through Wolfenstien at like 5, Doom at 6 or 7, Quake at 8 or 9, and so on and so forth. Am I pathalogical killer? Heck no, I absoluelty hate hurting people, and theres no way I'd ever want to be within 10 feet of a gun in real-life.

I used to just htink it was cool when I would gib someone in the original Quake online and see their body parts fly everywhere in a trail of blood. Did it really matter? No, but a neat effect if you ask me.

Anyways, I also believe people shouldn't be FORCED to see that kind of stuff. So its easy to just provide a switch to appease both sides. Free expression and censorship.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 02:46 AM
Toaster
Master of Toast

That goes right with my opinion on censorship: it's the responsibility of the person looking at it (or the parents for the little kids), NOT the government, committies, rating agencies, etc. I could rant on this, but I won't.

Sounds like a cool effect. Bloody footprints should only start at about 50% health, and blood in water at about 25%. And of course, the more damaged, the more blood. Of course, the 2000 HP player with 1 HP left shouldn't be losing buckets, but yet not a insignifigant amount.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 03:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

If you really wanted to make it gorey... you could take the water poarticle thing that I was talking about, and also apply it so that when you hit an enemy, that blood particle sprays outwards from the point of impact (pretty much, back in the attacker's face if in first person)

Doesn't have to be gallons of blood, but a decent ammount of particles to get the effect across.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 03:01 AM
Toaster
Master of Toast

Blood sprays on hits are more "violent": if done, limit it to the big painful blows/deathblows. That should definatly be a toggle option.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 03:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

In the oblivion mod when people got hit by lightning didn't they fly apart? That would be so cool to use as a bash/backstab effect... I mean imagine backstabbing an apponent and have him fall apart in bloody chunks lik in UT muahhaha.

bladerunner is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bladerunner Click here to Send bladerunner a Private Message Click Here to Email bladerunner Visit bladerunner's homepage! Find more posts by bladerunner Add bladerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoldenFlight
Mother Lode

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
That goes right with my opinion on censorship: it's the responsibility of the person looking at it (or the parents for the little kids), NOT the government, committies, rating agencies, etc. I could rant on this, but I won't.

Sounds like a cool effect. Bloody footprints should only start at about 50% health, and blood in water at about 25%. And of course, the more damaged, the more blood. Of course, the 2000 HP player with 1 HP left shouldn't be losing buckets, but yet not a insignifigant amount.

I agree with BOTH points.

1) Parents are SUPPOSED to take responsibility. So are people, for crying out loud. (It's called common sense, for one thing.)

2) A toggle switch, and limiting the effect respective to the damage would be sweet.

GoldenFlight is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 04:03 AM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Thats a good idea to have the "blood spray" effect on attacks that do over 75% damage to the target and/or a death blow.

If you did 300% more damage than they have HP, you could make um' go "pop" UT style... (A little easter egg for thoose mean ubers that go around bashing newbies)

Also, Since Tribes 2 has area-specific locations on the body parts, you could make blood spray target specific. Back, head, and Chest create most blood if hit for over 75% of the targets life, arms and legs can create a minimal ammount of blood. All for realsim... so if you're looking at their leg when swinging it won't come out of their chest or vice versa.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 12:36 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

I always wanted targetable damage...

After all, I shouldn't be able to kill an uber by only hitting it's foot...a common practice in T1.

Also realism is good...toggles are also good. Don't know if we would need blood spraying everywhere though. SoF had realistic damage, if a bit dramatized. People are not walking containers of blood people....please keep this in mind.

If a person is bleeding, they should bleed to death or something...

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 08:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zxqv8
TravellerThug

Does this also mean the hitting someone in the arm will do less damage than hitting them square in the chest or right in the face? That's the pinnacle of realistic fighting, hitting a knight in his arm doesn't cripple his ability to fight, but it sure doesn't tickle.

Zxqv8 is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 08:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zxqv8 Click here to Send Zxqv8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Zxqv8 Visit Zxqv8's homepage! Find more posts by Zxqv8 Add Zxqv8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

all i want::

use the tribes explosion effect (where body parts fly around) if you die at high speeds, ie: bashing

and no matter what if you take damage underwater make a few blue/white particles float upward(old fasioned choking)

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 10:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Uh, people ARE walking tubs of blood.

You know how much blood would sqwirt out of you if you lost 75% of your life? Imagine chopping off most of your upper body and letting it drain out. Don't think thats much blood?

But anyways, I was only thinking for the "blood spray" effect for a really huge blow, which shouldn't happen all that much. Also, it wouldn't have to be gallons of blood, I'm talking about a few particles here to exagerate the hit.

As for the explosion thing, I'm not so sure, but I don't think it'll be as easy to blast someone to the moon... Tribes 2 has friction and that means reduced skiing.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 10:53 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

quote:
Originally posted by Zxqv8
Does this also mean the hitting someone in the arm will do less damage than hitting them square in the chest or right in the face? That's the pinnacle of realistic fighting, hitting a knight in his arm doesn't cripple his ability to fight, but it sure doesn't tickle.

This is what I want... If it cannot be done completely, I'd at least like head/body area hits to do 1.5 damage or something.

Taking 75% of someones life is not equal to losing 75% of blood. An adult human(dunno bout orc) has roughly 4 quarts... get hit by something, anything, hard enough to lose even half that, and we will make a nice wooden box for you...

Spray is fine, as are small droplets from an open wound, but don't get out of hand, quake style.

PS: Ever played Ultimate Quake? I think that's what they call it... Something like triple the blood, unlimited ammo, every hit is insta-gib. I stopped playing because I couldn't see though the blood....

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-06-2001 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gul'Dar
TravellerThug

since you guys are talking about seperating the parts of the body which you can hit, an idea came to mind.. what if we could despense endurance sp to certain parts of the body... eg: legs, arms, head, torso.. that way you can put say 400 sp into your right leg while some dude is whackin' at your arms and he can't figure out why your not dead yet and he keeps missing =P I think this would be cool

Class: Paladin
Level: 104
Remort: 1
Admin Level: 2 (Guide)
-----------------------------------------------

Gul'Dar is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gul'Dar Click here to Send Gul'Dar a Private Message Click Here to Email Gul'Dar Visit Gul'Dar's homepage! Find more posts by Gul'Dar Add Gul'Dar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gul'Dar
TravellerThug

bleah, nm that is a st00pid idea......

Class: Paladin
Level: 104
Remort: 1
Admin Level: 2 (Guide)
-----------------------------------------------

Gul'Dar is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gul'Dar Click here to Send Gul'Dar a Private Message Click Here to Email Gul'Dar Visit Gul'Dar's homepage! Find more posts by Gul'Dar Add Gul'Dar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

LOL...that would be funny...but it would get old quickly.

Perhaps we could have a certain percentage of your exp for each body part, though....weapons would then have to do somewhat less damage.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 01:51 AM
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

no.......tribes cant tell where you were hit, only if it was in the top percent of the player shape designated as the headshot zone.

see each playermodel is a three dimensional rectangle and the top section is set as headshot, and in humanarmors you can dictate what percent, ever notice that hitting an engineer in the shoulder in shifter is called headshot?

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zelgadis Click here to Send Zelgadis a Private Message Click Here to Email Zelgadis Visit Zelgadis's homepage! Find more posts by Zelgadis Add Zelgadis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Bummer, scratch that body-part specific blood then. =)

BTW, I thought it was 5 pints.

P.S: I remember when this one mod was the sh*t because it was the first one to do damage skins... it rocked. House of Pain or something. And then in Q2 when people added in the "see weapon" stuff that was pretty nifty.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-07-2001 03:11 AM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

JI, what are your views on violence in video games, and more specifically in Ironsphere?

Also, when is the new target date/s for the ALPHA?

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-08-2001 04:39 AM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

quote:
Originally posted by GiB WaKeR

BTW, I thought it was 5 pints.

My bad...it is.

hmm, I never shot people in the shoulder. At least, not on purpose.... I always went for the head. Ten railgun shots would usually get me at least 8 hits. Then again. I played ren alot more than shifter.

I wonder though, would T2 fix this? Also, would it be possible using this code to create a leg zone, since it's on the bottom? Probably not possible, but I can't tell, as I havn't seen the code.

Also, anyone else notice than the animations, most noticably kneeling and prone, do not affect the hit area? This is bad...

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-08-2001 05:50 PM
Toaster
Master of Toast

Kneeling also doesn't affect where your shot comes from. I was trying to stick a trav under the house that is no longer there a while back. I couldn't see him unless I did the kneel animation. Even if I did, I still couldn't hit him.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 06-08-2001 09:07 PM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Yes, I proved that with an uber...

Only change is looks. I wonder if T2 changes this...

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 06-09-2001 04:01 PM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Uh... k =)

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-09-2001 08:23 PM
Zelgadis
MinotaurReaper

about my last post.. thats from t1 i have no idea about t2.

Zelgadis is offline Old Post 06-09-2001 10:59 PM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

Oh goody! Maybe we can have body-part-specific blood after all...

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-10-2001 02:20 PM
GiB WaKeR
ZombieMauler

Cool

For some kind of meelee power-up or something just plain uber 5337...

Have a series of blue particles stream out around the shoulder in a sprial going down to the hand....

Uber 5337 part two

When a "uber hit" is performed, (I'm talking uber people, not your panzy ass remort lvl 1 crap, I'm talking remort lvl 3 50,000 points of damage kinda uber ) have a sprite and effect where you see a "flash" effect at the point of contact, while also having a "blinding light" effect (think flashbang grenade but toned down alot).

Uber 5337 part three

When a uber mage casts a spell, have red particles sprial around him while also having particles travelling verticley.

-------------------

Just bored during the summer, and thought of some really awesome stuff you could do for some "uber" stuff... since thats obviously the more extravogent of the effects...

I'll type up more and some regular ones.

GiB WaKeR is offline Old Post 06-11-2001 11:56 PM