Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Server Forums > Binker and Newbie's RPG > Server number thing
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mog
TravellerPaladin

Server number thing

Is the server ever gonna hold more than 14 people or is that permanently set?

[img]http://www.flagline.com/images/us-flag-flying.jpg[/img]
And God bless America!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mog is offline Old Post 07-03-2001 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mog Click here to Send Mog a Private Message Click Here to Email Mog Find more posts by Mog Add Mog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

Sometimes newbie resets it to 15 so he can get on... I personally think that it could handle 16 w/o lag.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-04-2001 02:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mog
TravellerPaladin

Its become a battle of wills to see who can get on, i say, password it and give it only to the people who already have chars cuz its insane.

And God bless America!

Mog is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mog Click here to Send Mog a Private Message Click Here to Email Mog Find more posts by Mog Add Mog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

Maybe we could...

Develop a system so we can have 2 Binker and Newbies that share the same character files... It would be alot of work but i am sure It can be done.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 04:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Internet

umm why not upgrade the system? better than getting a 2nd one... less work too.

Old Post 07-05-2001 06:32 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

Thats the problem.

The cost of getting a system that can hold 30 people would be too much. Making a char file share system would allow us to run 2 servers that they can hold 30 people TOTAL. This would also reduce zone crowding and such. And if one server is down there is another to play on.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 02:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

I'm pretty sure the current box can handle 16 people...that would help some...

I know its possible for two servers to share char files, but it would require that one comp, the one with the char files, always be up.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 03:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twister
ZombieThrasher

also server sharing the same char files might cause a bit of lag in process if not done correctly

Twister is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 05:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Twister Click here to Send Twister a Private Message Click Here to Email Twister Find more posts by Twister Add Twister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SilverHorse
Banned

complicated.

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 06:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverHorse Click here to Send SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email SilverHorse Find more posts by SilverHorse Add SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

I wonder what would happen if the same char logged on both servers at once....

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 06:54 PM
SilverHorse
Banned

*shows picture of computer on fire*

SilverHorse is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 07:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverHorse Click here to Send SilverHorse a Private Message Click Here to Email SilverHorse Find more posts by SilverHorse Add SilverHorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mog
TravellerPaladin

lol... i swear i wasnt playing with matches anywhere near that computer... i swear!

Anyway, what are some good specs for a server computer?

And God bless America!

Mog is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 10:22 PM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

There will be safeguards in place to prevent a character from being logged onto more than one server at once.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-05-2001 11:45 PM
Mog
TravellerPaladin

any word on those specs?

-Does the Forbidden Moogle dance-

And God bless America!

Mog is offline Old Post 07-06-2001 03:52 AM
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

At least 128 Ram, more is better. At least 600 mhz...

Broadband connection with decent upload speeds, if possible.

At least some free HD space.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-06-2001 02:45 PM
Apache

Server

Hey Guys is the server down? I tried it last night at 3:00am and I couldn't get it to come up.. It's still down at 8:15am... Is there anything I can do to help???

Apache is offline Old Post 07-07-2001 01:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Apache Click here to Send Apache a Private Message Click Here to Email Apache Find more posts by Apache Add Apache to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Internet

I just got on and my CHARACTER IS COMPRIMISED!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Old Post 07-07-2001 03:45 PM
ZombieMauler

Hey, yeah my server can handle more ppl it's just that my connection cannot... BUT!! (and it's a pretty big but at that) I may be getting a couple roomates and if it works out i may triple my bandwith... depending on cost

Newbie is offline Old Post 07-07-2001 03:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Newbie Click here to Send Newbie a Private Message Click Here to Email Newbie Visit Newbie's homepage! Find more posts by Newbie Add Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Iceyflame

trident thats a good idea i have been talking with newbie about it... I can create a java server and use a java app to run it.. 2 fold to each server... and well java runs easily.. and is one of the best ways to code in servers

www.limeware.com

is an example i mean it will run like a regular computer application but using the universal java language without using windows itself to run.. ie a vb program does.. so it can cause lag this wont..

it will take time .. effort.. and a free port.. kinda like an ftp program...and/or an irc program.. it will be a universal port the files aren't that large and will constantly upload every save world..

in other words the servers have to be synced

300 secs save world on each
and we can edit the script in which it could just upload to each server when it does a save world provided each server has a port open.. and thats without all the software.. but software would be a lot easier and more so sure to work..

I hope that helps..

Iceyflame is offline Old Post 07-07-2001 04:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Iceyflame Click here to Send Iceyflame a Private Message Click Here to Email Iceyflame Find more posts by Iceyflame Add Iceyflame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Internet

char problem solved thanks newbie

Old Post 07-07-2001 04:06 PM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

you dont want them to be sync'd

If both servers are saving at the same time it will cause a lag problem but if they save at different times then it will fix the problem. We could add a variable to the .cs file that would say if the file is in use or not. that is more problematic than creating a server list and if the character is on the other server it won't load it on the one your joining.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-07-2001 04:58 PM
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

I think we can spilt it up easier than that. We have 2 internet servers and one lan server connected to the two internet server. On the lan server it will hold the character files. The servers will load their character files from the lan server to their server. The servers will of course check the other server to see if you are connecting or on it. This will be easier to implement.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 07-07-2001 05:04 PM
Iceyflame

if they are synced it wont lag. it prevents it.. that way one sends while the other dls.. then vise versa.. it will work perfectly.. on the program we will give a 40 seconds time lapse until the next send and recieve starts ..

if it does them at different times theres no gurantee that your char will actually be on the other server..

Iceyflame is offline Old Post 07-07-2001 05:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Iceyflame Click here to Send Iceyflame a Private Message Click Here to Email Iceyflame Find more posts by Iceyflame Add Iceyflame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Iceyflame

the um.. lan server in which the servers load and recieve files off that one server sounds good..

but how are we going to get up 3 servers hehehe

Iceyflame is offline Old Post 07-07-2001 05:26 PM
Internet

one problem though... if the server was split in 2 people would be cut off from 1/2 of their friends approxemetly. I like the idea of one massive mega server better

Old Post 07-10-2001 01:54 AM
-SB-SirSteven
UberFuffian

Might i point this out, the server lags enough as it is, why make another and lag even more?

Why do we even need 2 servers...?

-SB-SirSteven is offline Old Post 07-10-2001 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for -SB-SirSteven Click here to Send -SB-SirSteven a Private Message Click Here to Email -SB-SirSteven Visit -SB-SirSteven's homepage! Find more posts by -SB-SirSteven Add -SB-SirSteven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twister
ZombieThrasher

well all the theorys ect seem nice.... but you still havnt conquered the main problem

Twister is offline Old Post 07-10-2001 02:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Twister Click here to Send Twister a Private Message Click Here to Email Twister Find more posts by Twister Add Twister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

One massive server is best...I love seeing people running everywhere.

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 07-10-2001 04:01 PM
Twister
ZombieThrasher

well bandwidth is the main issue and cause of the lag... whatcha gunna do about that part

Twister is offline Old Post 07-10-2001 04:27 PM
Apache

Bandwidth or software

Is bandwith really the problem with the B&N server lagging or is it software related??? If bandwith is problem I can help out with that.. My t1 has 3.0Mb up and 1.5 down, We can test software here and see if thats the problem... Just what ever Newbie wants to do..

Apache is offline Old Post 07-10-2001 04:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Apache Click here to Send Apache a Private Message Click Here to Email Apache Find more posts by Apache Add Apache to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote