Profile  Register  Calendar  Memberlist  FAQ  Search Home  
Tribes RPG Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.3 Tribes RPG Forums > Server Forums > Binker and Newbie's RPG > A poll on flood protect.
Should Flood Protect be taken off?
Yes
No
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

A poll on flood protect.

This flood protect is getting rather annoying... People live overlord can still spam by setting stuff to their deathmsg and then ctrl+k if that is the stuff your trying to block. I mean jeaz unless I ype really slow I have to wait ten seconds to buy more lck. Sometimes to even talk to a banker. Or when a command isn't responding I keep hitting it then it gives me the flood protect thing. Personally I think JI should make a code where #say's can't be flood protected. Ok well vote please people. Not like this will change anything.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bladerunner is offline Old Post 09-05-2001 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bladerunner Click here to Send bladerunner a Private Message Click Here to Email bladerunner Visit bladerunner's homepage! Find more posts by bladerunner Add bladerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Internet
MinotaurGoliath

I hate flood protect... very much.... B&N is the only server I have seen with it.

geez if someone like overlord spams just mute him that's all ya gotta do. for ppl who type fast flood protect is just a pain in the a$$.

------------------------------------------------
Character Status

Server: Binker and Newbie's RPG
Name: Internet
Class: Ranger
RL: 22
Level: 91
Cash: 5.2 million
Storage: Enough stuff to equip an army... Also interested in buying keldrinite for good prices (I will outbid almost anyone.)
Last Updated: 10/28/01
------------------------------------------------

Internet is offline Old Post 09-05-2001 03:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Internet Click here to Send Internet a Private Message Find more posts by Internet Add Internet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twister
ZombieThrasher

#1 disabling flood protect can crash the server if someone really wanted to.. in theory but a very good one.. design a script to say hi 500 times a second is gunna lag the server.... most of the pl i believe is caused by you hit blah.. blah tries to hit you(think of that with 10 ppl on fighting monsters and stuff)... and if someone designs something like that its just as bad if worse.. someone intently spamming 500 times a seconds is just a bad deal witch mute does not fix since mute is client side and server still suffers...

#2 it is a pain sometimes.. but you can pace yourself..

#3 it does prevent spammers going 100 miles a hour...

only upside i can think is your not limited by saying and telling and casting and selling what you wanted.. but is it worth it?.

Remort Level: 10++
Level: who knows
Current Stuff: dumb sloth ate it then lagged out..

Twister is offline Old Post 09-05-2001 03:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Twister Click here to Send Twister a Private Message Click Here to Email Twister Find more posts by Twister Add Twister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bladerunner
MinotaurReaper

Eh... Well if someone is #saying hi 500 times a second well.. that is a stumper. But flood protect should gaurd against #global hmm.. Maybe #group but if you were spamming they could just take you off their list. But say is kind of annoying. It does gaurd against things and people can just neck it out but when I'm doing vqb really quick because the damn bash thing wont respond then it won't let me talk can get annoying. Ok well whatever you guys decide is cool with me. Their are good points on each side.

bladerunner is offline Old Post 09-05-2001 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bladerunner Click here to Send bladerunner a Private Message Click Here to Email bladerunner Visit bladerunner's homepage! Find more posts by bladerunner Add bladerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toaster
Master of Toast

Actually, JI put in his own flood protection. You can only use a # command every .3-.5 second unless you are admin. And since #say #zone #tell #shout #group #party and #global are # commands, you can't spam them THAT badly.

And you can always mute people.

I say get rid of it.

Toaster

Read The Newbie Guide!

Toaster is offline Old Post 09-05-2001 04:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster Click here to Send Toaster a Private Message Click Here to Email Toaster Visit Toaster's homepage! Find more posts by Toaster Add Toaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

Thumbs up Thank You!

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
Actually, JI put in his own flood protection. You can only use a # command every .3-.5 second unless you are admin. And since #say #zone #tell #shout #group #party and #global are # commands, you can't spam them THAT badly.

And you can always mute people.

I say get rid of it.

You took the words out of my mouth. Even with a script, the server wont allow an indefinitie spam where someone can say something 500 times in a second. It is extremely rare to see a server go down from constant chat. If your afraid of spamming crashing a server, then your server/comp must be a 286 with a 12mhz processor and 4mb of ram on a 3200 baud connection.

Video Being Fixed
Whoever b0rked my sig, don't56k'ers, don't try ^_^ | no more plugin dl!

Cloud is offline Old Post 09-05-2001 04:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TridentRX
TravellerPaladin

Flood protect is a good thing. Spamming causes lag. Muting does not help the lag stop. The server actually has to do more computing for #say than #global. #global it will display the message automaticly where #say has to compute the distances before displaying the message.

Things we can do: change a spawn delay to 2 seconds so you can't spawn right away and kill yourself.

Things you can do.
Only cast spells after it says 'ready to cast'.
type out the command before saying anything
#say hi
instead of
hi
#global hello all
instead of
hello all
This will increase the time it takes you to type so you are less likely to have flood protection activate.
for #bash
the delay for your bash is apporximently 100-(your lvl) in seconds. so if you are lvl 50 it takes you about 50 seconds before you are ready for your next bash.

Alternitive:Chuck flood protect and risk server spammers. =P

And cloud it is possible for very good computers to overload because of a spammer. Overlord did it ask him. When a computer overloads you get lag. Somtimes the server may have to take 5 mins to flush out the commands. Just because your message didn't display doesn't mean the computer doesn't have to do anything. It does, it has to figure out the last time you said your message. By the time the server flushes out the messages some people may have dropped because of a 'time out'.

TridentRX is offline Old Post 09-05-2001 09:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TridentRX Click here to Send TridentRX a Private Message Click Here to Email TridentRX Find more posts by TridentRX Add TridentRX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud
UndeadNecromancer

Re: ....

quote:
Originally posted by TridentRX
Flood protect is a good thing. Spamming causes lag. Muting does not help the lag stop. The server actually has to do more computing for #say than #global. #global it will display the message automaticly where #say has to compute the distances before displaying the message.

Things we can do: change a spawn delay to 2 seconds so you can't spawn right away and kill yourself.

Things you can do.
Only cast spells after it says 'ready to cast'.
type out the command before saying anything
#say hi
instead of
hi
#global hello all
instead of
hello all
This will increase the time it takes you to type so you are less likely to have flood protection activate.
for #bash
the delay for your bash is apporximently 100-(your lvl) in seconds. so if you are lvl 50 it takes you about 50 seconds before you are ready for your next bash.

Alternitive:Chuck flood protect and risk server spammers. =P

And cloud it is possible for very good computers to overload because of a spammer. Overlord did it ask him. When a computer overloads you get lag. Somtimes the server may have to take 5 mins to flush out the commands. Just because your message didn't display doesn't mean the computer doesn't have to do anything. It does, it has to figure out the last time you said your message. By the time the server flushes out the messages some people may have dropped because of a 'time out'.

Hey Mr. "I am the Almighty Coder Known As TridentRX" Why not just add a .5 second variance to JI's already imputted flood protection? I would rather have the delay than having to wait every 10 seconds for my damn flood protection to end

Video Being Fixed
Whoever b0rked my sig, don't56k'ers, don't try ^_^ | no more plugin dl!

Cloud is offline Old Post 09-05-2001 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Click here to Send Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twister
ZombieThrasher

unless you actually block the thing like flood protect does is the only way to get it to not affect server... but do you guys know yourself that JI's thing blocks it before it hits server... or blocks it at the server... if server still recieves the #say message but blocks it then still doesnt no difference what so ever....

you can greatly lag a server by spaming.. you can...

Remort Level: 10++
Level: who knows
Current Stuff: dumb sloth ate it then lagged out..

Twister is offline Old Post 09-06-2001 01:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Twister Click here to Send Twister a Private Message Click Here to Email Twister Find more posts by Twister Add Twister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeathMerchant
UberSloth

We know spamming is bad, but...the flood protect really slows me down when it comes to casting thorn as a lowbie, buying LCK, etc...

DeathMerchant is offline Old Post 09-08-2001 04:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathMerchant Click here to Send DeathMerchant a Private Message Click Here to Email DeathMerchant Find more posts by DeathMerchant Add DeathMerchant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote